Traction control issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL600
Traction control issue

Hello to all,
I need to know if there have been other members with traction control issues.
It seems that all of a sudden the traction control isn't function like it should, the esp is working fine but the TC isn't kicking in for some reason.
When I would hammer it off of a start the car would start to spin and orange triangle would flash on cluster letting me know the esp has kicked in and then the TC would aggressively kill the power and hit the brakes.
Now when I hammer it, it spins a bit the orange triangle comes on but the TC doesn't kill the power or put the brakes on as it usually would do.
Any enlightenment in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
Mine has never been that aggressive, I don't know what to tell you. I feel it's functioning, though, given the wheelspin isn't what I would call excessive. Try taking off from a standstill with traction control turned completely off and see if it feels any different(but be ready for a lot of wheelspin, with the torque these beasts make.) I've never turned the traction control off before on mine, never thought it seemed necessary since it seemed not to be terribly intrusive, but perhaps mine is also malfunctioning. I suspect that there are different levels of traction control, though, depending on just how much of a problem is detected. It wouldn't be the first car I've had that allowed some slip before intruding.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:06 AM

2006 CL600
Yeah it was very aggressive before to the point when it would start to spin it would engage and make you think something broke. Stomping on it and it would give a big surge forward and put you back in your seat and start to break loose on wheel spin, then TC would kick in and kill power and engage the necessary brakes to the wheels needed and it would actually throw you forward, as I stated, like something broke, then just as quick before you even took your foot off accelerator The TC releases and power kicks in like crazy. Extremely weird sensation the first few months.
But the last few days it is not doing that, yes the esp is doing its thing and the power does drop but the braking that keeps the wheels at the same rate seems to not be engaging like it is suppose to do when TC engages.
I still have abs which I tested by trying to lock up the brakes and function is fine.
Not sure if there is a sensor or pump or something that operates the TC.
Help needed cause when in rain it is a big help and the idea of something not functioning drives me crazy.
Oh yeah, when TC off in dyno mode you are correct it just wants to roast the tires off with wheel smoke everywhere, cool yes, but not much help,with the TC..
Info greatly appreciated my friends, thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 CL600
I would think if it roasts the tires with the TC off and doesn't with the TC on...then the TC is working
Old 07-09-2016, 07:26 AM

2006 CL600
Yes it is technically seems to be working but just not like it was before, that is what is driving me nuts. You know how the esp will take or put power to the needed wheel to keep even traction and the TC tries to keep the tires from spinning to keep traction. Well when I stomped the accelerator it would break traction, thus getting the triangle light on cluster, and big power for a second then the TC would kill power and apply necessary brakes then a second later right back into the power and pushed back into the seat. It seems the brakes is what isn't engaging now when the TC engages. When it functioned like it used to it would engage the brakes so hard that it would throw you forward just as if you slammed on them.
I remember making a turn at a light and getting on it and it would just barely start to get sideways and the systems would engage and right the car along with the brakes engaging aggressively and stopping any sideways motion. It now doesn't do that it just does the esp function and TC seems to be killing power so no more spinning.
I heard something about lateral sensors or acceleration sensors that can be messing up and causing issues with the TC, is that correct?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Mine has never been that agressive either , I've never felt a stomping on the brakes sensation , only a loss of throttle /lack of power sensation

Perhaps something was wrong with your car previously and now it's operating correctly
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 AM

2006 CL600
Hhhmmm, I guess that is possible but my experiences with Mercedes is there are not lil glitches, yes it may do something odd or different but that is just its (the car) giving you a polite notice that the, as the Germans say, Scheisse is about to hit the fan...lol
So I am now curious what other fellow CL'er experiences are with their TC?
I always thought the TC reaction was way to extreme I mean when it kicked in it would throw you forward as if the car just completely died and the brakes engaged, then just as quickly go back to power, I could never slide it sideways at all with TC and ESP on cause the system would just kill all power and motion by using the brakes.
I will have to ask my Indy guy see if he has heard of this.
But please other forum members let us know if your cars TC does like mine used to do I am very interested in knowing how other TC reacts in there rides.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:08 AM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by Sojo40
I remember making a turn at a light and getting on it and it would just barely start to get sideways and the systems would engage and right the car along with the brakes engaging aggressively and stopping any sideways motion. It now doesn't do that it just does the esp function and TC seems to be killing power so no more spinning.
What you describe right there isn't traction control, it's stability control. The two systems are different. Stability control(ESP) kicks in to keep you going in a straight line, while traction control handles wheelspin. In most cars, the light for ESP comes on when traction control is needed, but that doesn't mean it's really doing anything. If you stomp on the gas and start to get sideways, that's when ESP comes in and uses the brakes to straighten you back out. If you're not getting sideways, it's not going to kick in. Older Mercedes did cut out like you describe, but newer systems are more advanced and can modulate how much power it's restricting based on just how much or little traction you have available. If it lets you do donuts without interfering, then you have a problem with ESP.

Last edited by Jack_88; 07-09-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:03 PM

2006 CL600
Yes you are correct that is what is happening but I have no ESP warning messages or anything and when I hit the ESP button it lights up the Ora ge triangle in the cluster as it is suppose to do which means it is off and when off I can tell a difference, it will allow more wheel spin but when on it doesn't allow very much at all. So my issue is with the the ESP engaging or lack of engaging the brakes like it did before, I know I need to get my brakes done getting squeaky when I press on them. Could that cause the issue?
I had it in the shop 2 weeks ago getting new high pressure hoses and new fluid, filter and pump redeo calibration, could they have updated some software on the car that would have effected the ESP system? Seems like it just started acting different since I got her back from my Indy shop.
It just drives me nuts when something is wrong with things I get obsessive at times, like I need it fixed now.. I can't understand how some people can just let things go..
Maybe it just me..
Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM

2018 C300
Does it not engage the brakes if you try to slide the car with it on? That needs to be tested in an empty and open parking lot. If it does not try to keep the car straight, in that case you have an issue. If it does interfere when sliding, and it does seem to be doing something to minimize wheelspin when going in a straight line, I would say everything is working as it should. If it was choking the throttle a lot and engaging brakes when you were accelerating without any sideways motion before, I would say that sounds more like a problem that it now no longer apparently has.

Last edited by Jack_88; 07-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Sojo40
Yes you are correct that is what is happening but I have no ESP warning messages or anything and when I hit the ESP button it lights up the Ora ge triangle in the cluster as it is suppose to do which means it is off and when off I can tell a difference, it will allow more wheel spin but when on it doesn't allow very much at all. So my issue is with the the ESP engaging or lack of engaging the brakes like it did before, I know I need to get my brakes done getting squeaky when I press on them. Could that cause the issue?
I had it in the shop 2 weeks ago getting new high pressure hoses and new fluid, filter and pump redeo calibration, could they have updated some software on the car that would have effected the ESP system? Seems like it just started acting different since I got her back from my Indy shop.
It just drives me nuts when something is wrong with things I get obsessive at times, like I need it fixed now.. I can't understand how some people can just let things go..
Maybe it just me..
Ah you just mentioned you had work done and an update ,

It probably was not working properly previously but is working properly now.

I've driven numerous w220 and w215 agressively and not one had ever felt like stomping on brakes when the safety systems kicked in , only a lack of throttle response/acceleration .
Old 07-10-2016, 02:24 AM

2006 CL600
I will have to try getting it sideways on purpose to see if the esp kicks in the brakes. I always thought it was way to aggressive before, I have had and have other vehicles with TC, esc, and varies other traction systems and none have been as aggressive as this was I just thought it was that way being an 06 and just an older system and wasn't as refined as the newer cars.
I will post what happens and hoping for positive results the next time I drive her.
I so appreciate everyone who replied it was very helpful.
Mbworld is the best everyone is generous with taking the time to post info that is so helpful.
Thanks to all.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 AM

2006 CL600
Update, yeah it seems everything is working as based on the info I have received and gathered here. I quests the system was reacting overly aggressive before. Now it seems to be functioning as it is suppose to.
It must have been updated somehow when it was in the shop for abc repair and upkeep.
I did have him go through and have him check everything else with the abc system, motor mounts, trans mounts, flex disk and fix and clear an codes.
So I guess it had to of be updated.
Thanks to all, it is always so nice to hear from others that has taken their time to address the issues (problems) of fellow enthusiast.