CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Other steering racks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL600
Other steering racks

Hey all I am looking to go with an aftermarket steering rack I just wanted to know if anyone has experience in using other racks?
It is something I dont really want to do but I am not paying $1600 for just the replacement rack not including labor and misc.items, fluid, o-rings, etc.
I have put just under $6000 in repairs in the last 9 months, not including this needed repair. I have always used oem but my Indy has always gotten fairly good prices on the oem parts but this rack is coming from the dealer so this is the reason.
I researched aftermarket and remanufactured racks and have to say the warranty has been 3 years or lifetime depending on which unit, I can deal with that I just would like to get some info on which unit is a good replacement.
I have looked up and researched Mavel, A1-cardone, AC delco, AAE, etc...
Helpful info is appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Most rebuilts are gonna be the same, specific brand isn't going to matter. It's luck of the draw if you get a good one or one that fails early. If it's got a warranty you should be fine, most defective ones fail right away, if not it should be good for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Sojo40 (09-24-2016)