First ABC Light in 5 Years... Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL500
First ABC Light in 5 Years... Advice?

Hello everyone,
I have read this Forum for sometime now always finding the information I needed, you are all very helpful and I've never needed to ask a question. Please excuse the length trying to be as detailed as I can.

For the first time I cannot find a similar issue to mine. My ABC light came on 2 weeks ago (Red one), to start I have been driving on a lot of unpaved roads recently. I stopped driving the car immediately as I read up on it. Car has approximately 64k miles the fluid is black so I bought 10L and a filter... I did not find anything about this causing a light to come on so I'm wondering if it could be the accumulators as they go every 10 years or so, or if its something entirely different. The light goes off if I let the car sit and it will raise and lower, drive it around the block, nothing, turn it off and on after driving and the light is on. I am waiting to change the fluid anticipating a repair that will cause a lot of loss I plan on having a shop run a diagnosis the one closest to me claims to have STAR equivalent and can still pull all the codes and test the system. and the car does not sag in any of the corners.

Thanks for any advice offered.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Matthew Gulotta
Hello everyone,
I have read this Forum for sometime now always finding the information I needed, you are all very helpful and I've never needed to ask a question. Please excuse the length trying to be as detailed as I can.

For the first time I cannot find a similar issue to mine. My ABC light came on 2 weeks ago (Red one), to start I have been driving on a lot of unpaved roads recently. I stopped driving the car immediately as I read up on it. Car has approximately 64k miles the fluid is black so I bought 10L and a filter... I did not find anything about this causing a light to come on so I'm wondering if it could be the accumulators as they go every 10 years or so, or if its something entirely different. The light goes off if I let the car sit and it will raise and lower, drive it around the block, nothing, turn it off and on after driving and the light is on. I am waiting to change the fluid anticipating a repair that will cause a lot of loss I plan on having a shop run a diagnosis the one closest to me claims to have STAR equivalent and can still pull all the codes and test the system. and the car does not sag in any of the corners.

Thanks for any advice offered.
sounde like your system pressure is low at start up, perhaps from an internal pump leak or valve block o ring leak

you can do the flush yourself by booking up a clear hose to the abc reservoir line and pour in new fluid while the car runs , until the fluid runs clear green

accumulators usually fail with a different symptom by a quick red warning flash only when going over bumps
Old 10-04-2016, 02:00 PM

2005 CL500
Originally Posted by tusabes
sounde like your system pressure is low at start up, perhaps from an internal pump leak or valve block o ring leak

you can do the flush yourself by booking up a clear hose to the abc reservoir line and pour in new fluid while the car runs , until the fluid runs clear green

accumulators usually fail with a different symptom by a quick red warning flash only when going over bumps

Would the low pressure be something a shop can test for or receive an error code for the part malfunctioning? I'd rather find out than take parts off to check them. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yes there will be a code for low pressure. You could have a failing suction valve, or pump. They need to look at the actual pressures and see what's happening when the error is coming up.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM

2005 CL500
Thanks for all the great advice this is what I was hoping for. I'm going to have the car looked at this Thursday or Friday would you guys think the fluid as is(black color), is an issue? I can change the fluid but if the car can be tested without I'd rather wait till I'm done removing components that will drain fluid. Also my trusted Indy is 110 miles from me and I'll be using a shop with an equivalent system to star should I have any concerns he claims it will pull all codes and run diagnostics.

Thank you for the help.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
I certainly would get rid of that black oil first. Did you ever during those 5 years that you owned the car, change the ABC filter and ABC oil ?? If not, that could be your current problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 PM

2005 CL500
Originally Posted by calgary
I certainly would get rid of that black oil first. Did you ever during those 5 years that you owned the car, change the ABC filter and ABC oil ?? If not, that could be your current problem.
I had never performed a fluid flush but did change the filter upon purchasing the car aprox 42k miles. I also had to top off the fluid once I would estimate 3 years into ownership. I will make the time to change the fluid and see how the car responds after a short drive. Being optimistic here, Could this "burnt used fluid" not maintain pressure within the system properly?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
No, fluid isn't your only problem.

If you had to add fluid you probably have at least one failed accumulator.

Gotta check the pressures with SDS if you have good fluid and the system still functions, but you are getting warnings.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Thanks for all the great advice this is what I was hoping for. I'm going to have the car looked at this Thursday or Friday would you guys think the fluid as is(black color), is an issue? I can change the fluid but if the car can be tested without I'd rather wait till I'm done removing components that will drain fluid. Also my trusted Indy is 110 miles from me and I'll be using a shop with an equivalent system to star should I have any concerns he claims it will pull all codes and run diagnostics.

Thank you for the help.
dirty fluid can cause valves to stick open , preventing pressure from building - so yes dirty old fluid can cause these problems , but usually it's a failing pump

do the filter and fluid flush , see if that fixes your problem . If not you'll have to hook it up to SDS to read pressures
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM

2005 CL500
Thank you all, you have given me helpful replies and some specifics to look for I greatly appreciate the insight. I will change the fluid and filter and head to the shop and see what the outcome is hopefully diagnosed by Friday.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:44 PM

2005 CL500
Thanks again to every ones input,
I finally got the car home to be looked at by my indy. The pump is losing pressure as some have suggested and it was recommended the accumulator line that runs over the transmission be replaced as well. As I don't have the time or about 4K to put into the car right now it is going to have to wait till winter or next summer. I plan on attempting to rebuild my pump before buying a new one outright so I will post how that goes in a few months time.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
you can buy rebuilt pumps online for under $200 with your core exchange. check different sources. got mine from to rock auto for $150 with my core. check, their prices keep changing.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Thanks again to every ones input,
I finally got the car home to be looked at by my indy. The pump is losing pressure as some have suggested and it was recommended the accumulator line that runs over the transmission be replaced as well. As I don't have the time or about 4K to put into the car right now it is going to have to wait till winter or next summer. I plan on attempting to rebuild my pump before buying a new one outright so I will post how that goes in a few months time.
Jesus what are they doing for $4k?