CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Help! Advice on audio system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500 (W215) 2003
Exclamation Help! Advice on audio system.

Hi there, I have got myself a Mercedes CL 500 in w215 body (2003). I am willing to use my iPhone there as a media player, but it has an old media system not supporting USB or Aux. Only radio or CD/DVD. I have got myself a Bluetooth - FM transmitter to stream audio from my iPhone to the custom FM frequency. It works okay but when the generator for the battery kicks in on the car, I hear the buzzing noise. As I understand it is the generator working with the noise of the same frequency and interfering with FM frequency and that noise is taking place. I am thinking of any way to overcome that because during long rides this buzzing noise gives me a headache. Anyone have came over this problem? Any solutions?
I have thought to disconnect the CD/DVD from behind of the panel and link it with a phone or aux cable somehow, but have not found anything yet that will transcode the signal. If someone could help me with this problem, I would be really glad. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Are you in the USA ? In the USA The 2003 should have a headphone jack inside the glove compartment so you can connect your phone that way

it was the only model year to offer the headphone jack

if if you are in a different country you might have the later system with no headphone jack
Old 01-20-2017, 01:10 PM

CL 500 (W215) 2003
Originally Posted by tusabes
Are you in the USA ? In the USA The 2003 should have a headphone jack inside the glove compartment so you can connect your phone that way

it was the only model year to offer the headphone jack

if if you are in a different country you might have the later system with no headphone jack
Thank you for info, this is the German car that has been one of the first off the factory and purchased at expo after the presentation.

There is no headphone jack in the glove compartment, so I suspect the model you are talking about is US specific
Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 PM

CL 500 (W215) 2003
I have heard that people do replace their complete media system with either new generation one or aftermarket solution, but I feel like it will take a lot of time and effort and the car systems are linked to the multimedia anyway as far as I know.

So that is why I am looking for a way that will let me keep stock multimedia and add another solution.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 CL65
Dennsion or Mobridge. I'm leaning towards the latter after my ABC Adventure.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
The problem is that the MB system is fiber-optic, and the quick "plug-in" solutions don't work (e.g., replacing a cd-changer with an input module). There is a conversion that provides a 3.5mm input jack but it's almost as expensive as changing out your system for a conventional aftermarket one.
BTW, if all you want is music and phone interface, then any $99 Double-DIN system will work just fine. You need a trim plate ($45 on eBay), a receiver (my $102 Pioneer is wonderful), and an amp. Preferably 5-channel and 2-ohm capable, pull the old one in the trunk and all the speaker wires are color-coded and right there to connect. Stock speakers not bad at all, and the factory subwoofer works too. Just run a power wire to the battery (3 feet away) and a ground (12 inches away) and you're cruisin'! :-)
Modern receivers come with a hands-free phone interface and microphone, as well as a USB or smart-card port that allows you to listen to your entire music collection seamlessly (no external device required).
If you want to get frisky you can get a $600 DVD-Playing receiver that includes GPS navigation, a module to allow use of the steering wheel controls, replace the door speakers and sub, etc etc. Otherwise, a decent amp will set you back $400 or so, the trim plate and basic receiver maybe $150, and power cables maybe $15 (use 4 -ga welding cable from eBay).
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 PM

CL 500 (W215) 2003
Originally Posted by smartadze
The problem is that the MB system is fiber-optic, and the quick "plug-in" solutions don't work (e.g., replacing a cd-changer with an input module). There is a conversion that provides a 3.5mm input jack but it's almost as expensive as changing out your system for a conventional aftermarket one.
BTW, if all you want is music and phone interface, then any $99 Double-DIN system will work just fine. You need a trim plate ($45 on eBay), a receiver (my $102 Pioneer is wonderful), and an amp. Preferably 5-channel and 2-ohm capable, pull the old one in the trunk and all the speaker wires are color-coded and right there to connect. Stock speakers not bad at all, and the factory subwoofer works too. Just run a power wire to the battery (3 feet away) and a ground (12 inches away) and you're cruisin'! :-)
Modern receivers come with a hands-free phone interface and microphone, as well as a USB or smart-card port that allows you to listen to your entire music collection seamlessly (no external device required).
If you want to get frisky you can get a $600 DVD-Playing receiver that includes GPS navigation, a module to allow use of the steering wheel controls, replace the door speakers and sub, etc etc. Otherwise, a decent amp will set you back $400 or so, the trim plate and basic receiver maybe $150, and power cables maybe $15 (use 4 -ga welding cable from eBay).
Thank you. I was thinking about changing the media module, but for now I wanna keep the original one.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:09 AM

w215
hi there i own a 2003 cl500 and there is no headphone jack in the glove compartment.

there is noway to instal an AUX cable ?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:57 AM

CL 500 (W215) 2003
Originally Posted by ahmedraff
hi there i own a 2003 cl500 and there is no headphone jack in the glove compartment.

there is noway to instal an AUX cable ?
I am trying to find a way to do this or add an RCA, though it seems you either change out the multimedia system or do something funky like resoldering the tape drive with an aux cable.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM

w215
What do u mean aux tape ?
Iv been trying and searching for different ways to instal a aux but no use

if any of u guys know a way please let me know
thnx
Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM

CL 500 (W215) 2003
Originally Posted by ahmedraff
What do u mean aux tape ?
Iv been trying and searching for different ways to instal a aux but no use

if any of u guys know a way please let me know
thnx
Well, all I found, is guy removed the tape drive and soldered on the pins of AUX cable, though it is in russian