Stiff / hard steering - help me choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
w219 Cls 350
Stiff / hard steering - help me choose

Hello guys,

I am looking to change my 2005 cls 350 with a w216 cl 2007/2008 500 eu/ 550 us.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 cars in my country. Here is a quick description:

1st car:
2007, 80000km, distronik, abc suspension, softclose,nightvision, harman kardon sound system,keyless go, parking sensors,* 63 amg front facelift, stock rear amg bumper and exhaust.

2nd car:
2008, 98000km, nightvision, soft close, parking sensors, but no distronik, no harman kardon, no keyless go. Also i think it has the airmatic system rather than the abc system since it has a button to lift the car. Not sure.
63 amg rear and amg exhaust but stock amg front bumber.
The interior is realy nice kept on this one!

Here are a few problems i have spotted on both:

1st car:

- When i did a test drive, it showed that it needs break fluid level checked. I have 4 cars all mercedes but none ever leaked break fluid. Any sugestions ?

- the front side of the car sits lower in comparrison to the rear end. Also the driver side is lower than the passenger side. Anyone had this issue ? Is this normal at 80000km? Taking in account that the interior looks more like a 180000km car i suspect the odometer was rolled back.
- also the harman kardon system sounds worse than the stock system on the other car. I've read about failing amps and subs. Is this a common issue?
- i drove the car and the steering on this one is very very smooth. Very easy to turn the wheel. This i like the most.

2nd car:
- it makes a buzzing kind of sound comming from the engine compartiment. I suspect a pulley.
- the steering is very very stiff. Stiffer than my cls and way more stiffer than the first cl i drove.
- when i turn the wheel it makes a loud sound ( like a whale ) and the engine drops in rpm in idle.
What do you guys suggest or suspect? Could it be the steering pump or the abc pump ( if it has abc)?
- the car has a smoother ride than the other when hitting road bumps.

Is there a diffrence in steering stiffness/smoothness between a brand new abc w216 and a new airmatic w216 ? Because a hard steering would sure be a deal braker for me. If the steering should be the same on both, i do not mind repearing the servo pump or changing it.

Please help me decide and give me some feedback on the issues mentioned above.
I will post some pictures soon if you want.

Thanks in advance!