I bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
I bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months

After 8 months of looking I finally found a CL 600 that I could live with (plus the fact they only made about 30 for 2014.) Its as full on Designo Graphite and I am thinking about painting it Mystic Red and having he inserts and seat covers changed to Mystic Red leather with the rest leaving all black. I know the changing of the interior is a NO BRAINER. My concern is should I take the chance and change the car to the way I should have ordered it, when I had the chance? I know it's a loss but they will completely remove everything only leaving the rear quarters. It will be done at my the local RR-Bentley dealership and painted with Spies Hecker paint (which only required one coat of basecoat and only 10 minute wait time before the clear can be applied, a very high density of pigments) I have asked that the car keep its original orange peel and not to polished, as if they were doing a RR or Bentley. I know the color will be mind blowing and the cost is as much as a Corolla to do right. It does come with a lifetime guarantee and the microns will go from .05 to about 0.7 to.0.8 in thickness when completed. It will be done correctly, except the VIN will show a different color. I just am not a gray, white, black or silver lover and I have always driven burgundy cars. The Mystic Red excites me, pushes all my buttons. Would you guys take the leap if you had the chance? Would any of you change a color of a car if you like another color better? Now, keep in mind this is a brand new car and I had to hunt to find one and that wasn't Black. Now, I have gone and decided to change it to the color I prefer the most. I know Ill take a hit on depreciation and that is to be expected but it would be a one and only CL 600 in Mystic Red with a Designo Mystic Red and Black interior with black wood. I spoke with MBZ and they said only one CL 63 was built in my color combination back in 2012 but it was a one and only US built car. It actually came across for sale but I just didn't want a V8. I think this will settle my itch for good and I can finally be happy with a car. I looked into the S 600 Coupe which is coming out in March of next year but then you only have a 5 month run for a 1/2 model year. Also, they are now only offering a color called Black Ruby and even though the color is beautiful, its BLACK. So, what would you guys do, if given the chance?

Last edited by 2014CL600; 07-14-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
If it makes you happy and you won't miss the cash, go for it. Post before and after pics!!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
If done professionally you won't have to worry about resale. Take pictures before during and after so when it is time to sale people will know it's because of personal preference and not a wreck. Go for it!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Thanks I needed the push!!!!
I bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months-38040786623_371291884_im1_main_565x421_a_562x421.jpgI bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months-cl600mysticred-1.jpgI bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months-38040786654_371291884_im1_23_565x421_a_562x421.jpgI bought the only Designo CL 600 with every option I could find after 8 months-cl600mysticredinteriorcolor.jpg

Last edited by 2014CL600; 07-15-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:10 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Changing the seat cushions is a major task. I had a passenger seat air bladder fail which required a new seat cushion to be ordered at a cost of almost $5000 which was paid by my extended third party warranty company. If you go ahead with this be sure the shop is aware of the seat complexity and is prepared to deal with it, otherwise you may lose some of the seat functionality.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by vmystikilv
If done professionally you won't have to worry about resale. Take pictures before during and after so when it is time to sale people will know it's because of personal preference and not a wreck. Go for it!
false.

resale sucks anyway but a no stories car in its original color will always sell for more than a color changed car with an explanation.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
First addressing the seat cover and interior change, SEM makes a product called Color Coat that will be formulated to the exact factory color. It will not in anyway change the texture, feel, smell etc. in any way. As for the undertaking. I have changed the seat covers many times on many of my cars and it is actually very simple and very easy (time consuming but straight forward). I'm going to actually remove each door panel one by one (as they are modular panels, as is the dash, console, etc.) and then dye the seats, while out of the car. Prep and spray them with a light coat and you will not be able to tell the difference.

As for painting the car, at this point I have thought in my mind that the car is not going to be worth much once the new S Coupe hits the market, anyway. I like the 11-14 only and am willing to eat the depreciation. I just sold a car that was blended in by this painter so the fenders would match the bumpers. He blended the rear quarters, front fender, nose section, hood and front bumper. When don't you couldn't tell the original from the factory and I sold the car making a 35K profit. So, I decided that it is what I want. I like the color. The Designo Graphite is pretty but ordinary. The Mystic Red is neither ordinary or a color you will see but maybe once in a lifetime on a CL, if your lucky. I have watched one Mystic Red CL550's and on CL63 come through for sale and they were up for sale all but less than a week. The base colors sit for 6-8 months and sometimes longer. I think most people would rather have color than not. When you walk to your car from any store and you look around there is a see of black, silver, white or grey. You cant tell who makes the car, or if it is in fact your car. I want a car that stands out and people say, WOW. I have never seen that car before. Ah, but you have, you just didn't notice it in the sea of blah! So, with that being said and no ill will towards anyone, I am going for it. What the hell, I'll have a car no one else will have, The car will stand out and when done you wont be able to visually tell.
A good friend of mine who bought my 58 Sixty Special (that I painted a deep red rose color a color change from black) hates red but loved the color so much that he paid way over book for the car and it is the car that everyone goes to first ( he has over 25 100 point show cars). So, I have convinced my self, I have to like it, not anyone else.
I did ask my dealer and he said it would only hurt the value on trade but if a buyer who loved the color had to have it, it could get just as much as if I hadn't painted it and possibly even more. So, the color from grey to red, it shall be.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
It's your money , do what you love !! No one else matters at the end of the day and it seems you can easily afford it.

Post some pics of your sixty special ! I'm a classic eldorado guy
Old 10-11-2014, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Just got first refusal on the s550 Launch edition. Not the car I expected. Nice but not as nice as my CL 600. This car loaded is a 150K and they want to upcharge it by 10K. I refused. I decided that if I am going to spend that kind of money I would just buy a 2014 used Bentley GT Speed, which is a far cry from the old 2009 Bentley GT Speed that I had. I would rather own a finer car. As for now the CL is going to be just fine for a year or so. I LOVE IT and I have decided to leave it as factory. I am used to it and everyone seems to think its perfect as is. So, this way I don't take such a massive beating when I go to trade. It will be worth some good money since it will still have a factory warranty and can be CPO's through Mercedes. I already have BH Mercedes trying to buy it for cash but Im not finished with it as of yet. I LOVE the car. They really removed a lot of the wood on the S Coupe and it doesn't have a sunroof, just a SKY ROOF. which out in the desert is not what I wanted. So, when it comes time to move on, the Bentley Speed is the way Im going. In other words the new S Coupe isn't quite as refined to me as the CL I own. Its more like a cheaper looking E Coupe. I am not impressed. Plus if you really think about it anyone that buys one out of warranty is in for a real treat of expensive repairs. The displays for example. FYI, I went to buy an extra set of mats for my Designo CL and they wanted my cost 1,200.00. I said NO thank you. My Bentley Mouton mats weren't but 800.00. No, I think MBZ is getting out of control. Plus I don't want to move down from a 200K MBZ to 150K MBZ, you NEVER move backwards only forwards. Ill post the link to my cars and you can see them in the collection. I haven't posted ALL my cars but for now it will be good enough. http://s16.photobucket.com/user/jiru...?sort=3&page=1