CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

07 CL DVD/CD changer problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL550
07 CL DVD/CD changer problem

Does anyone ever have problems with there DVD/CD changer not reading CD's or MP3 CD's. Any solutions?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 cl550 4matic
old thread but new CL550 owner and new problem

loving my new (to me) 09 CL550 4matic. After a month of perfect CD/DVD/DVD-audio/DTS CD/DVD video operation my car came back from the dealer for unrelated (seemingly) problems and won't play any disk for more than 10-60 sec before freezing. Switching to another source and back again makes them play for another 10-60 sec. before freezing again. It's very repeatable. This is with the changer in the dash not in the trunk.

Car has been back at the dealer for 1 week and they insist that an all new CD changer COMAND module is needed which they got the 3rd party warranty company to agree to pay for. The parts are on their way from CA to MA.

Seems like a radical solution for a minor problem. I only found one reference to this exact problem when searching. That owner fixed it with a new voice module.

Supposedly i get the car back tomorrow. We'll see how it goes...

Any W216 owners wanna chime in with their Changer issues?

Last edited by MA043HA; 05-18-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 AM

2009 cl550 4matic
This dealership service dept. is making my blood boil! Picked up the car Friday night after work. CD/DVD changer was working apparently - at least it didn't freeze after playing each disk 10-40 seconds. As I drove home however I discovered that most of the other COMAND controlled functions were offline No NAV, no seat control, no backup camera. Doesn't anyone check these things?

I returned to the dealership next morning very unhappy and making it clear how much they had f'ed up. The service rep I had been dealing with was off so I dealt with the service director. No surprise they ushered me into a loaner to "get you on your way" ASAP. I followed this up with a long detailed email to the director, my sales agent and the general manager the next day.

I had scoured this forum and others looking for that specific CD/DVD changer symptom and only found 1 or 2 references that both seem to point to a Voice Control Module fault. I pointed my service rep and the service director to this info in my emails. No acknowledgement or response to this point. Now the SR is saying over the phone and the SD in an email response that after their testing (surprise) the VCM is at fault.

The good news here is that the 3rd party warranty I purchased when buying the car on 3/31 is paying for these very expensive parts.

Supposedly it'll be "ready" on Thursday or Friday. I'll update this thread.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:21 PM

2009 cl550 4matic
Here's part of the email from the service director. Can someone knowledgeable tell if this makes diagnostic sense?

"Cause:
After detailed diagnosis of the vehicles hardware and CAN network on you CL550 we have found the voice control module to be in question. The command unit and voice control module must be in sync and both be operational for the interiors controls modules to operate via the CAN network and be accessible by the command center.
Once we identified the voice control module suspect. We reloaded the software into the voice control module. All systems came up operational. We then disconnected the Mercedes-Benz diagnosis equipment and allowed the vehicle to go to sleep (set all alarms and let the vehicle sit for an hour). We then woke the vehicle (unlock the vehicle) and retested the system and the voice command module was again suspect where the CAN network was not allowing the flow of information from the individual body modules to be controlled by the command unit.
Correction:
We are replacing the voice control module. The warranty company has approved the repair.
The part has been ordered. Upon arrival it will be installed and again retested for proper operation."
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 AM

2009 cl550 4matic
Got car back on Friday. SR walked through all the COMAND features with me. Everything is working apparently. It seems to be a quirk of the seat bolsters on the driver side in this vehicle that 1 small increase in the inflation produces 80-90% of the possible inflation. Also, that seat bolster adjustment isn't remembered whereas the back bolsters and lumbar settings are remembered.

But, now with more than $15k charged to the CNA warranty, NAV, backup camera, voice control, AND CD/DVD changer are working again.

Still have lots of time and mileage left on this 3 year/40k mile warranty. I hope they're not reluctant to cover additional and more crucial repairs down the road if needed...