2008 CL550 possible purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
==
Smile 2008 CL550 possible purchase

Hello,

I found a 2008 CL550 with 58K miles around the corner. All options, one owner, always serviced at MB dealer, full records.

I have read horror stories here on this forum regarding cam seals, ABC pump, harmonic damper, idle pulley and plenty of other electrical gremlins.

Sure there are cars with more problems than others, a lot of whiners and people who don't take car of their cars but what is the real story.

The fellow will accept a PPI at the local dealership but it is not a guarantee, anything can happen.

Your opinions will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Old 10-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
==
Smile

No comments, how is it possible?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
Some of the items you mention are of no consequence

The cam seals were a minor issue that was covered by a no cost campaign

The original design idler pulley became noisy and it was replaced by an improved part as part of a no cost campaign

Only V6 engines have a harmonic damper. There was a potential wear problem with a cam shaft sprocket for some of the early production engines, but this was solved prior to 2008.

There have been very few complaints about electrical issues.

One area for concern is failure of seat air bladders. This applies to vehicles with drive dynamic seats. My passenger seat air bladder failed and this required replacement of the seat cushion at a cost of about $5000 which was paid by my third party extended warranty.

Only other concern is to verify the transmission service was performed at about 40,000 miles. If this was not done, there is potential for a major transmission failure. If the vehicle was always serviced at a dealer, it is very likely that this service was performed along with the service campaigns mentioned above.

Mercedes uses the word "campaign" instead of "recall". They only use the word "recall" when it is a safety related issue that must be reported to the government.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 550
CL550

I purchased my 2008 CL550 from my brother with 21,000 miles on it in November of 2011, freshly serviced and w/ new rubber. The passenger seat bladder had a problem from the get go but I don't sit over there so I've left it alone. But a circuit board failed (in the dash) and but for affecting say, the radio, I may have ignore it but it ran the screen which features all of the defroster functions, a/c etc. + a lot of other things so for $1,500+ that was repaired by the dealer; then it was determined that the little whine I was starting to hear was the hydraulic pump... necessary for a range of items so another $1,500 and that was fixed; then it was noted that securely fastening the gas cap wasn't going to turn off the ck engine light and so it was discovered that the camshaft timing whatever had to be replaced... another $1,200+ or so and now the vacuum bit of kit that so impressively sucks the doors shut... isn't and I understand that'll be another $1,500; tack on the idiot light for the back up lights is coming on, indicating the left rear is out... except I was able to test that specific bulb and it's just fine... hmmmmmmmmm. I've now put 15,000 miles on it, bringing the total to 36,000 since new... and I just replaced the tires, changed oil, filters, plugs, brakes (4 rotors), purged the system (brake fluid)... for another total of about $3,000, bringing me up to about $8,000 in just over 3 years and 15,000 miles. That doesn't include gasoline or insurance ($3,000) or the repair of whatever the air pump ($1,500?) problem may be never mind the electrical problem w/ the left rear back up light... which they'll have to 'trace'.
So I'm at almost $3 a mile without insurance or gasoline... great car but who has time for this kind of bs... even if they have the money?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63s White
wow seems everything is $1500...???
Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
I wouldn't settle for the old style, hold out a little longer for a face lifted 11-up. Plus will be an overall better car. As you know they make major improvements, as the years go by. You don't want to be stuck with an expensive older car to have to repair all the time. Remember 7-8 years in car years is like dog years. It's OLD even if it has low miles.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63s White
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
I wouldn't settle for the old style, hold out a little longer for a face lifted 11-up. Plus will be an overall better car. As you know they make major improvements, as the years go by. You don't want to be stuck with an expensive older car to have to repair all the time. Remember 7-8 years in car years is like dog years. It's OLD even if it has low miles.
AND another 15K hehe
Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
Well, either you pay a little more upfront or you pay more in repairs later.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL550
Originally Posted by steveb9771
Some of the items you mention are of no consequence

The cam seals were a minor issue that was covered by a no cost campaign

The original design idler pulley became noisy and it was replaced by an improved part as part of a no cost campaign

Only V6 engines have a harmonic damper. There was a potential wear problem with a cam shaft sprocket for some of the early production engines, but this was solved prior to 2008.

There have been very few complaints about electrical issues.

One area for concern is failure of seat air bladders. This applies to vehicles with drive dynamic seats. My passenger seat air bladder failed and this required replacement of the seat cushion at a cost of about $5000 which was paid by my third party extended warranty.

Only other concern is to verify the transmission service was performed at about 40,000 miles. If this was not done, there is potential for a major transmission failure. If the vehicle was always serviced at a dealer, it is very likely that this service was performed along with the service campaigns mentioned above.

Mercedes uses the word "campaign" instead of "recall". They only use the word "recall" when it is a safety related issue that must be reported to the government.
Which third-party extended warranty do you have? I'm shopping for an extended warranty for my just-purchased 2007 CL550, and would love to hear others' experience with these extended warranty policies. Thanks!