CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Wow Red that sucks man! I would be looking for a CL550 4Matic (2011+) Designo is not a must have for me but it would be very nice to have. Any experience with those in terms of reliability? My 06 has been great!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
What sucks about red? Didn't quite understand that comment. As for the 11-up I have been told they have become built proof. I know I haven't had a single issue but the car is only 10 months old now. I even had the ECU upgraded, to add another 125 bhp and over 700 ft-lb, and had the pick lock install, so I can have all the functions work while in drive . I have to be very careful as the wheels spin even starting off in E mode. If you are looking the CL550's are going almost 1/2 of original. They don't seem to be holding the value much like any other of the CL's. If I were you, Id spend the extra bit and get and 11-up for sure. If you find a Designo, (even better for you). That will assure you premium FULL leather interior (not MB-Tex as on all base CL's and an Alcontara headliner, with the 600 seat sew pattern. You will be more than happy, that I can assure.

Last edited by 2014CL600; 12-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
What sucks about red? Didn't quite understand that comment. As for the 11-up I have been told they have become built proof. I know I haven't had a single issue but the car is only 10 months old now. I even had the ECU upgraded, to add another 125 bhp and over 700 ft-lb, and had the pick lock install, so I can have all the functions work while in drive . I have to be very careful as the wheels spin even starting off in E mode. If you are looking the CL550's are going almost 1/2 of original. They don't seem to be holding the value much like any other of the CL's. If I were you, Id spend the extra bit and get and 11-up for sure. If you find a Designo, (even better for you). That will assure you premium FULL leather interior (not MB-Tex as on all base CL's and an Alcontara headliner, with the 600 seat sew pattern. You will be more than happy, that I can assure.

In reference to what happened with RedMarkos CL63 issues..

Thanks for the info. I have been looking into the 2011+. I love the CL65 but I honestly do not need it and I like having 4Matic. I would love to find a Desgino. I know they are rare but good things in time as I say.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Watch this GERMANCAR1, Mr. know it all. Listen to what they are saying. LISTEN!!!! The 2012-up Speed has gone even further to improve ride and handling as has the 11-14 CL. The Mercedes being my favorite still doesn't hold a candle to any MBZ.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Just another something to listen to. Listen on how he speaks about the outgoing CL vs the newer Coupe replacing it.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Wow Red that sucks man! I would be looking for a CL550 4Matic (2011+) Designo is not a must have for me but it would be very nice to have. Any experience with those in terms of reliability? My 06 has been great!
Thanks C280 Sport,
Had a really bad experience having this particular car/thingie in my possession. I can't really blame one bad copy of it on AMG, but I can surely blame MBUSA for handling my case extremely poorly. Eff them, no more of my money supporting MB. I'm done with Mercedes for now.
Switched to Audi S8, beating the crap out of any 65AMG and couldn't be happier.

Regarding CL600s and 2014CL600's glorification of them, they are not flawless by far.
Example; V12 engines are notorious for bad coil packs and ABCs. Had 7 or 8 coil packs (left/right) issues over 5 years and 1 ABC in 5th year of ownership. Luckily for me I purchased extended factory warranty, so I was fully covered.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Well, from what I have been told and from owning 6 from 2000-this present one. I only had one lemon and it was an 04. I spent 15K on a repair bill on the suspension. As for the 07-14 I have been told they are pretty much bullet proof. I will let you know when the warranty runs out in 3 1/2 years. Then Ill store it away and buy something else. I usually keep my cars. My 06 CL 600 hasn't given me a days trouble but like I said it hasn't hit 5K miles yet.
I do love the CL from 03-06 and from 11-14 the rest have no meaning for me. I just never liked the pontoon fenders of the 07-10 and the headlamp and tail lamps of the 00-02. Just my likes and dislikes. Sorry, you had issues. I have heard that the 00-06 were trouble but never kept them long enough to see it for myself. Only the 06 that I kept but it doesn't get driven much, so hope it doesn't start.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550 Coupe
I repatriated to the USA after 6 years overseas and needed to purchase a daily driver recently.

I drove an R8, S8, S Coupe, GTC V8 S, and 911 T.

Quite frankly, the S coupe was my third place choice; I would have taken the GTC as #1 and the R8 as #2, but both were too ostentatious for my job.

I settled on the S coupe. I'm glad it blends in. That's the whole point.

Helluva a car and the best I've ever owned, but it totally blends in, as do all mercedes, which is exactly why I bought it.

I'm surprised the folks on this board delude yourselves; don't kid yourself, a CL is an S or a C or an E to all but the most educated observer, which isn't your average Joe, or even your average wealthy Joe.

Once I'm established in my new job without concern over displays of wealth I'm dumping the S for a Bentley, no question. It's serving a purpose (albeit it in a fantastic and comfortable way) but it's just a daily driver, not something to be passionate about. that's what the Ferrari is for anyway.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Glad to hear you like your S Coupe.

I was looking at the video of the prototype and have to say the proportions and body lines of that car should have been brought to fruition. Instead they opted with what was a total compromise. The existing greenhouse is way to small for the proportions of the lower body and the fact it looks just like all the other Coupe is very disconcerting to me. I love my CL600 and I love my Bentley Continental GT Speed. They both are basically in the same family but different enough that I can enjoy having both.
I love the GTS very much and have been thinking it might be a great edition to my collection. The only thing I find is the car really only looks good in Black and I live where black is as practical as a screen door on a submarine.
I have tried to configure the GTC to my taste but they wont let you have your choice of interior colors with your choice of exterior colors. Maybe next year they will correct that problem.