CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Cars
What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?

I have been buying CL 600's since 2000 and the 11-14 are (from what I have been told the rarest of them all). I was told by my dealer that in 2011 and up, only a customer could order a CL 600 not a dealer to stock on his lot. I was told less than 250 units were built from 11-14. Knowing this I decided that it was the one I wanted. I have had mine since March of this year and have to be honest. I have never owned such an amazing car. I love the lines, I love the feel of the car and I just love everything about it. No problems for one, just nothing but pure pleasure and I even had the ECM remapped by a great tuning company. It's Designo Graphite with every option including the Designo interior and 20" wheels. Now, I know they depreciate like a lead balloon but I love the car so much I just don't care. I went to my dealer who gave me first refusal on the 2015 S Coupe Launch Edition and I must say as nice as the car is, it isn't as fine of a car as the out going CL. I love the styling of the new S Coupe and all the new technology but I must tell you, they have really done away with all of the wood and small details. To me the finer cars need wood and lots of it, with attention to detail. I drove the Launch Edition which only comes in one color combination, Black Magnetite with the red and black Designo interior. I loved all the bells and whistles but missed the lack of wood (that comes standard on a base S sedan). I drove the car and to be honest, I wasn't impressed and gave my position for the 1st Launch Edition from my dealership up. I thought long and hard about it and decided that, if I couldn't have a 600 (which I understand they are not planning on making a 600 and doing away with the ABC suspension) then I would rather keep what I had. I find that EVERY car that Mercedes now makes, looks the same (except for the odd looking S Class 4dr.) The S Coupe (even as beautiful a car as it is) looks like an E Coupe. There isn't much distinction for the money. I prefer more of a classic look rather than just a new design. I also started to think, when the car comes out of warranty, how can anyone afford the repairs, what if one of the two 14.7" monitors goes out. The cost would almost be unaffordable to most people and even for those who could afford to repair the car, would they want to spent 10k just for the display alone? So, I started thinking. When I am tired of my Designo CL 600, why not buy a 3 year old Bentley GT for half the money. I just sold my 2009 GT Speed and made money on it. I didn't care for the technology of the car and the fit and finish wasn't great, not to mention the ride was HORRIBLE and LOUD. Now the 2012 and up is a whole other ball game for the Bentley GT. They changed leather vendors, changed all the electronics and changed the body enough to make the car really more desirable (much like the refresh of the 11-14 CL). I wasn't a real fan of the 1st and second generation GT but this last re-do really works. Much like how I don't care for the 07-10 CL (I found them to be to round and strange looking, esp. the front fenders). So for now I plan on keeping this CL for a long time. Then move on. The S Coupe is very beautiful but not quite up to the mark of its predecessor. I have always believed that change is not always for the better. What do you guys think?

Last edited by 2014CL600; 10-23-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
2014 E550, 2015 E63S, 2017 G63 - RIP
Completely agree with you!
Everyone is raving about the new S coupe, but personally I am not very impressed.
Main reason is propagation of generic look through Mercedes product line...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
I agree 100%

When you cant tell an E from an SLK from an S Coupe from a SL from a C from a CLA coming straight at you then you have a problem. I think they plan on making the CLS to have the same front end as well. The issue now is the E and the S Coupe are basically copies of each other. Even though the S sedan had a MASSIVE bass mouth grille and is FUGLY, the inside is true Mercedes at its finest and it is less money than a S Coupe. They need to get someone in there that knows how to keep a closer reign on the designers. Each class should be distinctive, esp. at these prices. That is why MBZ, just wont hold their value. They used to and they used to not change a design every time the baby needed a new diaper. Lexus, (though not a fan) holds its value like no other. Mercedes should be the same but they change them all the time. These guys need to diversify and not try and capture the entire car market. They are washing the brand down way to much. Plus not to mention the pricing is getting way out of hand. MB tex and hard plastics just don't cut it for me. The inside of the S Coupe for the money should overshadow the S 4dr by leap and bounds, esp. for 26K price difference on the base. Ridiculous. I was just claying, and polishing my car today and bonding more with it and I must say, I love it. I seldom if ever see one even in BH or PS or anywhere for that matter. I love this car with a real passion and plan on keeping it for a few more years, then I'll head back to Bentley, where at that point they will have gotten all there technology in order and you will have a car that has prestige. When you mention you have a Mercedes to most people, they don't think twice about them. Used to be if you said you had a Mercedes it meant something. Those days are gone. For the price they are asking for the S Coupe it should have half the rain forest inside along with nothing less than FULL leather even on a base model. I don't think most people even realize any 550 that you buy is MB Tex except for the seating surface. Only if you pay for the Designo do you get a full leather interior. Why wouldn't they make full leather standard on a 120K car and make colors. The color pallet is truly sickening. How many shades of black, silver or white can you have. I mean come on. Hell, if I were MBZ I would put a premium on Black, silver or white and stop charging for colors and then the dealers would buy something other than the FREE colors. If you go on ANY website, the market is FLOODED with any of the three colors. How much imagination does it take to buy them and the only time black looks good is the day it comes from the dealer or after you pay 200.00 to have it detailed. It saddens me.

Last edited by 2014CL600; 10-26-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL550
what was mercedes thinking?

i went to the mercedes dealer today and saw the s coupe in person and it is an ugly car. no way I'm going from a w216 to that crap. it looks like a big cla and appears to be smaller than the CL.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Yes, it is smaller

The car is smaller and like I have been saying it is a techno piece of junk, that looks like a E Coupe. Nice thing is since the CL badge isn't being used, I don't feel I have a car that is out of date. Think about it. The S Coupe is a totally different car. By changing the name and the entire car, the CL is just no longer being produced, so it isn't out of date, the car is new and for me, If I get 3-4 years out of it without it looking dated I'm fine with it. I still find the S Class from 11-13 to be still one of the most beautiful S Class's ever built. My only gripe about that car was the humps on the front fenders. I wish they had addressed that when they addressed it on the CL in 11. With that said, I only wish the CL had all the bells and whistles of the new one with the full S 600 interior of past. Haven't you noticed they started de-trimming the CL in 07, over the 2000-2006? The S from 07-13 in the 600 was loaded in beautiful wood, trimmed in chrome plus quite a lot more of it than in the CL. That is what they should have done with the CL when they started in 07. Oh well, you cant have it all. I am already taking a blood bath with the change. The price of my car has dropped 40% since I got it in March and 20% of that was when the new S Coupe was introduced. If I was a smart man, I would have taken the cash deal the dealer offered me in Aug. Good thing for him I refused. I'm happy with what I have. At some point, I need to stick with a car instead of turning them over within a year, plus there isn't anything out there right now that I would want that is fresh and strong and masculine, that is in the same class as the CL 600. My only wish was my interior was that of the CL65. That is the ONLY thing I like better. I love the cross stitched door panels and seats. It is perfection! Here was my special order Bentley and here is the CL It took a year to find, they wouldn't order one for me and I refuse to drive a black, silver or white car. Luckily I was able to find the last one that was fully optioned Designo 600. This is a picture of the first Bentley from 2010 that I just loved but was offered too much money not to sell. This was the one that make me such a large profit.

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?-38040786623_371291884_im1_main_565x421_a_562x421.jpg

Last edited by 2014CL600; 11-30-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM

CL550
Hunting down a CL65

I'll be hunting down a "new" CL65 in a couple of years. I hope the depreciation continues.

Originally Posted by 2014CL600
The car is smaller and like I have been saying it is a techno piece of junk, that looks like a E Coupe. Nice thing is since the CL badge isn't being used, I don't feel I have a car that is out of date. Think about it. The S Coupe is a totally different car. By changing the name and the entire car, the CL is just no longer being produced, so it isn't out of date, the car is new and for me, If I get 3-4 years out of it without it looking dated I'm fine with it. I still find the S Class from 11-13 to be still one of the most beautiful S Class's ever built. My only gripe about that car was the humps on the front fenders. I wish they had addressed that when they addressed it on the CL in 11. With that said, I only wish the CL had all the bells and whistles of the new one with the full S 600 interior of past. Haven't you noticed they started de-trimming the CL in 07, over the 2000-2006? The S from 07-13 in the 600 was loaded in beautiful wood, trimmed in chrome plus quite a lot more of it than in the CL. That is what they should have done with the CL when they started in 07. Oh well, you cant have it all. I am already taking a blood bath with the change. The price of my car has dropped 40% since I got it in March and 20% of that was when the new S Coupe was introduced. If I was a smart man, I would have taken the cash deal the dealer offered me in Aug. Good thing for him I refused. I'm happy with what I have. At some point, I need to stick with a car instead of turning them over within a year, plus there isn't anything out there right now that I would want that is fresh and strong and masculine, that is in the same class as the CL 600. My only wish was my interior was that of the CL65. That is the ONLY thing I like better. I love the cross stitched door panels and seats. It is perfection! Here was my special order Bentley and here is the CL It took a year to find, they wouldn't order one for me and I refuse to drive a black, silver or white car. Luckily I was able to find the last one that was fully optioned Designo 600.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Not to worry, they are dropping like flies. If you are willing to wait you can find hundreds in black. I was just looking on all the for sale sites, for a 2011-2014 CL 600 or 65 and they are NON existent at the moment but you can buy as many 550's or 63's as you heart desires and the prices are so cheap, esp. the 550's. The 63's are just a pig with lipstick. How they expect these massive cars to handle without the "ABC" is beyond me. You almost wouldn't have to wait now, just a few more months and that will be nail in the coffin for the outgoing CL. Consumers will buy anything that the manufactures put out esp. when its new. Look at how cheap you can buy an 07-10 in any CL model.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM

E220 Coupe 1996 - CL500 2011
S63 AMG

Interesting post about the CL600 vs. The Bentley Continental. Last weekend I was invited by Guildford Mercedes to test drive the new S63 AMG Coupe. Guildford MB is one of the few privately owned MB distributors and a class act (unlike a lot of the MB distributors in the UK).
Clearly after a 30 minute drive I can't comment on the car in any detail. It's fast and it's quiet and it's nicely finished. The ability to scan the road ahead and modify the suspension seems a neat trick as does the curve tilt function. I happen to think it is better than my CL500. Better than the CL600 I wouldn't know. At the end of the day it costs (at least) 125k GBP and with a few extras much more.
What is interesting is what was said about the Bentley. I always wanted a CL500 then (when money became less of an issue) I wanted a Bentley. I had a day with Bentley to drive the car up in the mountains of Wales and i have tried several incarnations of the Continental. Every time I got out I kept thinking this is not a special car. Beautifully finished, fast but there's something missing and I couldn't put my finger on it.
I usually buy my cars at 3 years old so I have to wait 3 years before changing for a S63Coupe or for any sort of Bentley. At least I am now persuaded to re-try the Bentley.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Well, the 500 and the 600 are in totally different leagues. You really can't compare the two. Depending on your year ,your 500 (which is a 550 in the states) is Airmatic (unless 10 and older and then has to have the special order ABC suspension option) which is standard on the 600. The extra weight, and power makes all the difference esp. in the ride and handing. I had the 09 Bentley GT Speed and it was LOUD and not very fun to drive. I did however drive a 2012 and the difference was worlds apart. For now the CL 600 (11-14 here in the states) is the only way to go. The S63 unless you buy the entire full on Designo and with the "Magic ride" being able to keep the car stable is still difficult. The Active Body Control is the ultimate suspension and has been made for 50 plus years. They are departing from it because it cost way more to produce as does the 600. Trust me they are making the cars cheaper and cheaper and charging more and more. I am not a fan of the S Coupe or the new S Class to be honest. I usually always love a new model but for me it is a no brainer. It is time to leave my trusted MBZ family for the newer upgraded Bentley GT or even the new 14 and up Flying Spur. They have gotten the car just about right on every front (except for technology) which when I'm ready to trade, they will have spot on. For now, Ill keep my new CL 600, until I am sick of it. As it seems for now, I love this car with a passion, so much so, I find myself thinking about the car even when I'm not inside it. Besides, the interior of the S Coupe leave much to be desired. The S 600 4dr. interior is what the S Coupe should be. Plus who wants a car that you cant tell it from another class. If you took all the badges off the Mercedes line except for the new C and new S 4dr. You really couldn't tell them apart. Only a true MBZ person would know.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 PM

E220 Coupe 1996 - CL500 2011
Well I certainly cannot compare the 500 to the 600 because i have never driven the 600. Indeed although they are technically available here (or they were when the CL was still a current model) I have not seen one for a long time. The 500 and the 63 AMG were the only options and neither of these cars were ever big sellers in the UK. The CL65 again is technically available but you see very few of them. What Mercedes is afraid of in Europe is the ordering of any of these cars and shipping them across border(s) where the price is sometimes double the UK price.
It is depreciation and not servicing costs or petrol costs that impact on ownership but people in the UK are still reluctant to buy cars that do perhaps 10 miles to the gallon (which ever gallon you are quoting) and it took me a long time not to take a big gulp every time I forked out US$230 to fill my tank.
To look on the bright side I'm 72 and still enjoy driving my CL (fast) when I might be in a Toyota.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
You have a 2011 CL you have a wonderful car. It looks amazing and the 500 gets much better fuel economy that is for sure. I know here all 11 and up are 4 matics and if that is the case where you are then that is good for your weather climate. For us we only see it rain about 1-2 days a year so we don't need anything but summer tires and two wheel drive cars. I am sure your car is AMAZING. 11-14 were the most beautiful cars MBZ has ever built. As for fuel we have been having a very good streak of luck. Fuel is now in CA about 2.75 per gallon so a fill up isn't so bad, I think 60.00 at from full on empty. I think the 600 has a larger tank so it isn't so bad. It was 90.00 to fill up a while back but everything has finally stabilized. Drive in good health!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Me personally I like the CL better then the S Class Coupe. While the S Coupe is beautiful it just does not win me over as much as the 07-14 CL's.
Really enjoying our C215 body 06 CL600.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Interesting thread.
Having brand new '08 CL550 for 4 months then trading it (with 20k loss) for brand new '08 CL600, then purchasing '13 CL63 AMG.
CL600, I kept for 5 years (very unusual in my case), that's how good it was.
CL63 AMG happened to be the biggest piece of garbage ever, ending up and winning Lemon Law lawsuit.

I guess I'm bit qualified to chime in on the issue.

Of course looks are subjective, but in my opinion the new S Coupe MB is the ugliest exterior designed car in recent memory.
On the other hand S Sedan MB is one of the nicest, most elegant ones.

Go and figure.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
RED MARKO, you know what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!! People have no idea about the 600 series. You can't compare a tangerine to an orange. Maybe from the same DNA but not the same cars. The 63 is junk. Why do you think the resale on the car is so horrible? If you like your 08 you should try and find an 11-14. You will think you have died and gone to heaven. Now, (IMO) I do not care for the S Sedan only the interior and only in a Designo or 600. The reason I am saying this is because the grille is too large. It is way out of proportion to the car. The tail end is actually very pleasing. Truthfully I wish they had refined the old S class and added more electronics and it would to me be the best of the best. That is what I think. I personally like the wedge forward design over the backwards motion of design.

Even though my car is to new to give any issue on trouble, It is the first car I have owned by MBZ that hasn't had to go in for something.

Last edited by 2014CL600; 11-28-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Your so right

Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Me personally I like the CL better then the S Class Coupe. While the S Coupe is beautiful it just does not win me over as much as the 07-14 CL's.
Really enjoying our C215 body 06 CL600.

I love the 03-06 W215. I still have a 4,300 mile Boudreaux with stone interior 600, that I will never get rid of. I love that car with a sick passion. For me its a collectors item.

I didn't like the 07-10 because of the rounded humpy front end and pinched rear but when they came out with the 11-14 I knew I had to have one. It took me over 8 months to find one. Luckily someone cancelled their special order (with every single option offered) and it was a color I could live with and a Designo to boot and I am telling you. I adore this car with a passion. I find I am driving it more than my new Bespoke Bentley GT.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Don't count on it

Originally Posted by leewalton
I'll be hunting down a "new" CL65 in a couple of years. I hope the depreciation continues.
They will depreciate but the 11-14 will hit a certain price and stay there. You can find an 07-10 pretty reasonable but I don't think you want one even with low miles. Have you any idea how much a brake job is on a 65? Price it. 8,500.00 for brakes, are you kidding me? Not to mention if anything breaks. Try and find one that is close to the end of warranty and buy and extended warranty or you will live to regret your beautiful purchase. I am lucky I have 3/12 years left on warranty but I bet it will never have to see the inside of a shop, (except for service) my 06, 600 has only been in for service, never had to have anything replaced, even have the original battery in the car.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
The 63 is the same car with a different engine

Originally Posted by George_54
Interesting post about the CL600 vs. The Bentley Continental. Last weekend I was invited by Guildford Mercedes to test drive the new S63 AMG Coupe. Guildford MB is one of the few privately owned MB distributors and a class act (unlike a lot of the MB distributors in the UK).
Clearly after a 30 minute drive I can't comment on the car in any detail. It's fast and it's quiet and it's nicely finished. The ability to scan the road ahead and modify the suspension seems a neat trick as does the curve tilt function. I happen to think it is better than my CL500. Better than the CL600 I wouldn't know. At the end of the day it costs (at least) 125k GBP and with a few extras much more.
What is interesting is what was said about the Bentley. I always wanted a CL500 then (when money became less of an issue) I wanted a Bentley. I had a day with Bentley to drive the car up in the mountains of Wales and i have tried several incarnations of the Continental. Every time I got out I kept thinking this is not a special car. Beautifully finished, fast but there's something missing and I couldn't put my finger on it.
I usually buy my cars at 3 years old so I have to wait 3 years before changing for a S63Coupe or for any sort of Bentley. At least I am now persuaded to re-try the Bentley.

For us in the US. The CL550 is the same exact car as the 63 except for the AMG upgrades. The 63's is very problematic and if you drove one that was 11-up then you only had Airmatic suspension if I am not mistaken. The 600 and the 65 have the ABC suspension. Its all the difference in the world. Plus on a 600 or 65 you get all leather interior verses MB-Tex with leather seating surfaces. Basically the 63 is a glorified 550.

Even my Bentley GT has Air suspension and it wallows around corners. The Bentley will kick the AMG's butt on a straight away but they both suffer from too much pitch, yaw and role. Drive a 600 or 65. The you will be impressed to no end.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by 2014CL600
I love the 03-06 W215. I still have a 4,300 mile Boudreaux with stone interior 600, that I will never get rid of. I love that car with a sick passion. For me its a collectors item.

I didn't like the 07-10 because of the rounded humpy front end and pinched rear but when they came out with the 11-14 I knew I had to have one. It took me over 8 months to find one. Luckily someone cancelled their special order (with every single option offered) and it was a color I could live with and a Designo to boot and I am telling you. I adore this car with a passion. I find I am driving it more than my new Bespoke Bentley GT.

WOW! Low low miles! Do you have any pics? Our 06 CL has just under 50,000 miles. No ABC issues.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Red Marko
Interesting thread.
Having brand new '08 CL550 for 4 months then trading it (with 20k loss) for brand new '08 CL600, then purchasing '13 CL63 AMG.
CL600, I kept for 5 years (very unusual in my case), that's how good it was.
CL63 AMG happened to be the biggest piece of garbage ever, ending up and winning Lemon Law lawsuit.

I guess I'm bit qualified to chime in on the issue.

Of course looks are subjective, but in my opinion the new S Coupe MB is the ugliest exterior designed car in recent memory.
On the other hand S Sedan MB is one of the nicest, most elegant ones.

Go and figure.

Red. What issues did you have with your CL that it was garbage? I will be buying another CL in my life (2011-2014 CL550)
Old 11-30-2014, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
I have pictures of all my CL's but this is the one I kept. None of them had a single issues except for the one I bought used for a car I could take anywhere. It has suspension issues ( block, accumulators, AC compressor, puck/door and trunk failures, the usual suspects) Here is a picture of the one I kept from 06 with less than 5K miles.
Attached Thumbnails What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?-3.jpg.jpg  
Old 11-30-2014, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Red. What issues did you have with your CL that it was garbage? I will be buying another CL in my life (2011-2014 CL550)

I was just looking at the trade magazines and the 11-14 look the same as the 600 except for the power, interior options and suspension. I would try and find one with a Designo interior, then you will basically have a visual or a 600 without the goodies. They are by far the most beautiful of all. What I like about the 11-14 in any version is the sculpted hood, the smoothed out front fenders, sharp crisp chiseled front end, new headlamps and esp. the rear end with the corrections to the tail lamps and the separation of the reverse lamps, as well as the integrated exhaust tips. The entire car just comes off as total perfection in my eyes. You will be so happy you moved into the newer style. I also see the prices of the 550's and 63's are becoming very, very reasonable.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll give you a hint,

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?-img_0272strandsofbeltcutcoolinglines_zps9f45783a.jpg

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?-img_0273particlesofbeltonthehood_zpsc66ef88b.jpg

What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?-img_0274beltcloseupchewedtoaonethird_zps39565a3e.jpg

These 3 pics represent second occurrence of the problem.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
Oh I see you had a bad water pump? I am not sure of what I am supposed to be looking at. Is this your defective 63 series that was bought back?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, it's not water pump. It's a serpentine belt. ($h!t, I gave a hint, didn't I)
Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars
So, it kept eating belts? After 3 tries in CA and it isn't fixed they must refund you for the car without any trouble. Tax, title and tags. Don't know about your state but they don't play here. I had a friend who had an 02 that kept draining the battery. They never could find out what was wrong with it. He contacted the agency that deals with it and he got every single penny he paid out of pocket back. Then he bought an 07 600 and said, he never had a minutes trouble with that one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you think about the S Coupe Vs the outgoing CL?