CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Backlit Headlight switch icons??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63s White
Backlit Headlight switch icons??

quick question... Are the headlamp mode icons supposed to light up like the rest of the text on the switch module?

I looked at another car like mine (08 cl) it did not look like it lights up either.. or are these lights prone to burning out?

I am typing about the upper center icons not the lower or nightview backlighting.

thanks!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 PM

2012 CLS63s White
can anyone make a quick check for me???
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 AM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
No. There is a hash mark on the knob itself but no backlighting for what position your switching to.

It would seem that Mercedes thought it was more important to have door sills with their logo all lit up than you being able to see the position your switching the knob to.

I also noted that the USB port in the glove box cannot be seen at night due to the glove box light blinding you.

Defective car. Return it to the dealer or mfg.....humor
Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 AM

2012 CLS63s White
Great! thanks for the info!! saves me a call to the Dealer when they are never open during my free hrs....

I would love to have a USB in my glove box! heh
Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
Tell ya what. I'll go to the dealer the next day they're open and ask them.

I suspect both of our light switches are broken in one way or the other. The online Owners Manual for my 2011 CL, at MBUSA site, indicates that there should be TWO detents when pulling the knob outwards I have but ONE detent and it only comes out towards me when I'm in the headlight position. When I do that, the rear fog light comes on and the Orange light comes on below the light switch.

My Green light below the light switch is on all the time. That's the front fog lights indicator.

The Manual says if I pull the light switch knob out to the FIRST detent, and I'm in the headlight switch position or side lamp position, THEN the green light below the switch knob should come on indicating the front fog lamps are on. But on my car the green indicator is on all the time.

The manual says, if I turn the knob to the headlamp position (not the 'A' position), the Side lamp symbol on the light switch will come on. THAT right there tells me my symbols on the light switch assy should come on and none of them do. So......it's off to the dealer the next day they open, which might be Monday given New Years day is tomorrow.

I had a SL550 and for the life of me I don't remember it's light switch symbols coming on ever. Just the hash mark on the knob itself. Hmmmm, let me take a look at my ML right now.

Nope, on my ML only the hash mark on the knob comes on. The symbols do NOT come on. Which makes me think the online manual for the 2011 CL 'mis-spoke' when it said that when I turn the knob to the headlight position the side marker symbol should lite up. Fudge.

I guess I could just delete this Reply, but I'll leave it as is. Nutty for MERCEDES to not have the symbols on the light switch light up when the knob is rotated to different positions OR have all the symbols lit up all the time when the lights are on any position.

Or I could have two defective cars right now and one SL out there traded in that has a bad light switch. I'll go to the dealer next time they open and ask anyway.