ABC malfuntion from parking too long?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Jrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CL550
ABC malfuntion from parking too long?

Just seeing if there is a preventative measure to keep these unnecessary repairs from happening to others. So I had the car parked on a trickle charger for a month. Was running perfectly prior. I was loading the trunk up for a long trip. About 150lbs-200lbs worth. Started the car and immediately felt no power steering. Then as I pulled out of the garage and parked, the ABC malfunction warning came on. Seconds later notice smoke from under the hood with fluid leaking behind the grill. Ending up needing $1500 in high pressure hose and a few O rings plus belt replaced. Question is what could I have done to prevent or aid the car from what I think was a combination of either sitting too long and/ or had too much sag from the extra weight. Next time would it help if I drove it before loading it up or would something like jacking up the rear to keep the load off the suspension then letting the pressure build and lowering the car again? TIA
Old 01-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz CL 550
We drive the same car. What happened to you was simply a bad hose. Be glad it happened at your home and not on the road. As for advice I can say buy and carry 1 or 2 ltrs of Suspension Hydrolik Fluid. I keep a liter in the trunk down there with the spare. You never want to run your ABC pump dry as it will ruin it fast. If you hear anything strange like whinning or growling check your fluid right away and keep it full. The do a full inspection for leaks asap. In the years to come the pump will become noisy with whinning or growling noises. If that happens to your car always start by replacing the damper that screws on top of the pump its the round ball thing. I replaced mine with a new one I bought on ebay and all of my noise was completely gone! Now if you have run the pump dry you will need a pump too. That why I recommend carrying a can or two. These cars are amazing and not many people own them. So enjoy and message me if you ever get in a jam. Also when storing your car for more than 2 weeks always park with the front wheels straight forward. Sagging is normal for these cars when parked for extended periods. Keeping the wheels straight will avoid fender damage.

Last edited by Benztech777; 01-09-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
Jrz (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Jrz

2007 CL550
Dearly noted. I've given the CL to my dad so will check with him once in a while as I'm still responsible for the upkeep. Thanks for tip Benztech.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz CL 550
Lucky dad! Your a good son. Your welcome on he post...
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 PM

CL63
how can you get rid of the sagging though ?

like does it work with time as we drive, will it go away ?

or is a change of parts the only solution ?

Last edited by TheCLguy; 01-22-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Jrz

2007 CL550
The car should be always leveling itself when driving. My guess is if I see it sagging from being parked for extended time is that jacking it up to about level will aid the pump from working too hard right from the start. Those hoses I was told has 3000psi going thru it. If it sags noticeably in a few days, I'd look for a leak somewhere.