CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 amg stuck in park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl55 amg
CL55 amg stuck in park

Just posted this on the Anyone Have This Stuck In Park Problem? but thougt id post here aswell
Hi guys just bought a 02 SL55 amg which has got the same problem its stuck in park, I have not yet collected the car for fear of being ripped off bu the transporter company and the damage they may do,
as such I have not driven the car yet
My questions are
can this be done outside the sellers house is it a qiuck job
should i be worried about the condition of the gearbox other than that it wont come out of park are they troublesome or not
any advise would be great
is there any way of just yanking the lever back into drive just to get it home so as the work can be done there
thanks Rob
Ps was told by Mercedes that the selector on the CL55 was electronic and had no mechanical moving parts?

Last edited by adventure boy; 11-24-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
SL or CL? It could very well be a $22.16 fix. It's the a brake lite switch/module under your dash near the brake pedal that may have gotten stuck in the closed position or vice versa. Its bout the size of a match box. I changed one on a clk in 20 minutes in my garage. This same module may affect your brake lites, so be careful. TYou'll prpbablyu need the vin# to get a new one from your dealer.

If you need to get the car going.... look very closely near the gear shifter and you'll see a small port that wil be big enough for a small flat head screw driver or a key. There is a relase button inside, so simultaniosuly(sp) put the car in drive while fishing for the button, but be aware that your brake lites may not work becasue the module I mention earlier is bad.

And please do not "YANK" it into drive.

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 11-24-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:47 PM

cl55 amg
thanks Cakedaddy its a cl55 will take your advise its good to know there is a way to get it home by way of the port thingy would anyone have a picture of that and where it is located that would help thanks again Rob
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM

2000 S430
FIX IT YOURSELF AFTER READING MBWORLD FORUM

Originally Posted by adventure boy
thanks Cakedaddy its a cl55 will take your advise its good to know there is a way to get it home by way of the port thingy would anyone have a picture of that and where it is located that would help thanks again Rob
I could not find that on my S430.
Instead, I took the thing apart myself with standard tools and remvoed the plastic broken part. this is a well known problems with these cars.

see " Anyone Have This Stuck in Park Problem"

please see:
console removal: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...-remove-center

shifter removal: http://www.JustAnswer.com/questions/1pevf-need-instructions-remove-w220?L=T
Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 S500
Repair solution

I have the plastic part in stock and I can ship worldwide. Log on to www.monoglobal.com.au to view and order the part.

Internal plastic lever is there to prevent children from inadvertedly moving the gearstick lever out of Park. Removing the lever may cause your car to roll away down a hill with your kids inside.

Choose from original plastic or high strength aluminum. Repairs can be done by any reputable MBZ shop in about an hour or two. No need for recoding with Star Diagnosis.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Sorry for being boring, but you do realize that you have to have the ignition on and your foot on the brake before it will move out of park.
Sorry If I insulted your intelligence, just trying to help.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

2002 MercedesBenz CL-55 AMG
I have a CL-55 AMG and is locked in Park, on the way to buy a Brake Selector Module, because my brake lites are on, How do I remove and replace "Shift Mechanism?? Thank you!!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
sometimes you can hit the top of the shifter while moving it out of park and it will work, but not solve the problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Thank you Biker349......I read that before and did it and it worked......So I heard from MB dealer I have to change Gear Box!! Is there a part inside the Gear Box that can be changes?? Thank You and MB World and Everyone on Here!! Hava Great Weekend!!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:12 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Look above. There is a piece in the shifter mechanism that breaks. I recommend getting a metal one to fix it, because after doing this, you will never want to do it again.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM

Can someone please tell me what is causing my instrument cluster to be total dark, my speedometer,fuel,tachometer, does not work,ac blower/heat nothing is working that is in that "CLUSTER".....thank you!!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
there's a recall on some instrument clusters. check with your dealer with your vin #. i believe the recall ends in sept.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by eddieg227
Can someone please tell me what is causing my instrument cluster to be total dark, my speedometer,fuel,tachometer, does not work,ac blower/heat nothing is working that is in that "CLUSTER".....thank you!!
Your cluster is going bad. As Biker said, get in ASAP as there was a extended warranty period placed on many models for the cluster. They are known to go out.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by eddieg227
Cluster`s go bad and you are out of the 10 year warranty, so may cost you about 1500 plus to replace.

Also like OCKlasse said, use the metal part to fix your shifter.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
I had this happen to my CL55 and i had to disassemble my shifter column and replace that little lever shown above

It turns out a piece of a peanut got stuck in there and caused it to crack...

You can completely remove that little piece if you want, what it does is keeps the car from being moved out of park unless you have the break down and unless you have young kids not really necessary

Until i figured out how to fix it i would just park it in Neutral like a manual car but then you have to lock your doors manually since you can't remove the key fob from the ignition, you can also jiggle the shifter around a bit while trying to shoft out of park or remove the shift knob and tap the top of the column with a hammer while moving it out of park to get it in gear
Old 06-04-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by CharlestonN
I had this happen to my CL55 and i had to disassemble my shifter column and replace that little lever shown above

It turns out a piece of a peanut got stuck in there and caused it to crack...

You can completely remove that little piece if you want, what it does is keeps the car from being moved out of park unless you have the break down and unless you have young kids not really necessary

Until i figured out how to fix it i would just park it in Neutral like a manual car but then you have to lock your doors manually since you can't remove the key fob from the ignition, you can also jiggle the shifter around a bit while trying to shoft out of park or remove the shift knob and tap the top of the column with a hammer while moving it out of park to get it in gear
Thank you CharelstonN....
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Cluster`s go bad and you are out of the 10 year warranty, so may cost you about 1500 plus to replace.

Also like OCKlasse said, use the metal part to fix your shifter.
Thank you Exotic!!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by awiner
Your cluster is going bad. As Biker said, get in ASAP as there was a extended warranty period placed on many models for the cluster. They are known to go out.
Thank you "awiner"
Old 06-04-2013, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by biker349
there's a recall on some instrument clusters. check with your dealer with your vin #. i believe the recall ends in sept.
Thank you Biker349!!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 AM

I wanna Thank you MBWorld and All the members for helping me with my problem!!! It turned out it was the cluster and MB Tech I know put in a Cluster from another car, and said I had some issues with Wiring of the Harness, and reset codes, these cars lock-up in the park position, to protect you from further damage, he worked on it for 7 hours!! Thank you alumni, car is working Fine, so it showed that it was not the The Gear Box!!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 AM

Now my suspension is acting up, The ABC Control keep coming on and the car sits all the way at all 4 wheels. The question is? Is there a recall for the ABC Control?? Thank you!!.......I just found out its a High Pressure Distribution Hose, my hose is not leaking, my car is going up and down at All 4 Wheels, you know when it Rains it Pours with This 2002 Cl-55 AMG......Major Issues, can't wait to get rid of it!! Please someone let me know, Very Depress Today!! Thanks again MBworld and Members and MB-Techs that are on here!!

Last edited by eddieg227; 06-04-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added some more info!!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 PM

CL55 AMG, Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
CL55 AMG Stuck in Park

Hello Newbie here, I have the dreaded stuck in park problem, I tried to move the shift lever using the hammer method but no luck. I tried for hours but no luck, does this actually work? Have any forum members had luck with this method? I did find an easy way of removing the wood console and the radio without removing the whole center console so that's a bonus.

I have a feeling I will have to cut off the gear shift handle to be able to fully remove the wood console because it's stuck in park and there is no room to remove it. I ordered a used one from the local MB yard here in the hopes of completely rebuilding my original one using the handle from the used one. I will install a new aluminum shift lever as well so no more stuck in park problems hopefully. I'll keep the forum informed of my progress with this and share any information I can gather that may help others with this problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Yes, I have used the "bump" method successfully many times.

Originally Posted by Lestere
Hello Newbie here, I have the dreaded stuck in park problem, I tried to move the shift lever using the hammer method but no luck. I tried for hours but no luck, does this actually work? Have any forum members had luck with this method? I did find an easy way of removing the wood console and the radio without removing the whole center console so that's a bonus.

I have a feeling I will have to cut off the gear shift handle to be able to fully remove the wood console because it's stuck in park and there is no room to remove it. I ordered a used one from the local MB yard here in the hopes of completely rebuilding my original one using the handle from the used one. I will install a new aluminum shift lever as well so no more stuck in park problems hopefully. I'll keep the forum informed of my progress with this and share any information I can gather that may help others with this problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:03 PM

CL55 AMG, Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Hi awiner,
I have tried many times and even resorted to using a club hammer and still no luck :-( My steps are as follows: I start the engine, put my foot on the brake and I can hear the solenoid click inside the shifter. I pull the handle across to the right and down hard towards the storage box in the console, then I hit the top of the handle hard with the hammer but there is no movement in it at all. The solenoid doesn't click if I just turn the key to on and press the brake without starting the engine.
Thanks very much for your reply.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Had the same problem. MY Tip is start the car, pull the shifter as hard as you can and hit real hard with a Molly is a Rubber Hammer. Pull on the shifter and whack it hard on Top and from the front of the shifter. The shifter knob is Plastic not wood, screw it off counter clock wise. Once you have it out of park, put it in neutral, and put on emergency brakes when you leave the car. **** the CL55 it's a piece of ****. The worst mercedes I ever bought. You have to find someone on the side from Mercedes Benz to fix your car. If you go to the dealer they are going to RIP You OFF with High Service Fee!! Good Luck!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CL55 amg stuck in park