CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 Owners: On average, what do you spend a year on maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200, C70 HPT Coupe
CL55 Owners: On average, what do you spend a year on maintenance?

I've always liked the CL55, and after selling my E500 a while back, I think I'm ready to get back into the MB game. The E gave me very few problems for the time I had it, but how is the CL55? What, on average, do you guys spend a year on maintenance? I'm looking at a 2003.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 AM

2004 CL55
I don't think I can speak for everyone, and it certainly depends on how much you drive, but I drive about 20K/year and spend maybe $1500/year on fixes for the car, which have so far included just a few minor gremlins but other than that wear and tear, such as replacing tire pressure monitors, brakes, and servicing (this one I do at the dealer). I am not including tires, as I use a rare (expensive) size combination.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Yugos only
Originally Posted by Patentmat
I don't think I can speak for everyone, and it certainly depends on how much you drive, but I drive about 20K/year and spend maybe $1500/year on fixes for the car, which have so far included just a few minor gremlins but other than that wear and tear, such as replacing tire pressure monitors, brakes, and servicing (this one I do at the dealer). I am not including tires, as I use a rare (expensive) size combination.
+1

If you get a used car make sure that you get an extended warranty with it that covers ALL electronics and the ABC system. Sometimes the stealar doesn't want to recognize a non MBUSA warranty - you pay and then have to collect from the warranty company.

Watch out for clauses like:

Any part not specifically covered is excluded from the warranty.

The insurance company will try to extend the fault of entire system to a single non-covered part even though there is no causality involved.

Last edited by ivanj; 08-11-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Last year total expense was about $300.00 for one "A" Service.

Depreciation is, of course, the main expense in owning one of these vehicles. The average has been about $1,400 per month over the last 5-1/2 Years.

JDB
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Patentmat
I am not including tires, as I use a rare (expensive) size combination.
that is a rare and expensive size combination in your sig indeed.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Yugos only
Angry Depreciation

Originally Posted by JDB
Last year total expense was about $300.00 for one "A" Service.

Depreciation is, of course, the main expense in owning one of these vehicles. The average has been about $1,400 per month over the last 5-1/2 Years.

JDB
I agree about depreciation. What do you think are the causes? Some thoughts.

One is that fact that the cars are very expensive to insure. I was recently turned down by the AARP Insurance Plan saying "we cannot offer insurance at this time due to the fact you own a CL55 AMG, which has a higher incidence of loss and is more expensive to repair than comparable cars." (They did NOT ask me about my driving record!)

This is underscored by the fact that it is very difficult to get a non-MBUSA extended mechanical warranty. Insurance companies share info that the public has no access to. Transparency indeed.

Many people cannot afford to maintain the car properly. For example, my service advisor recommended a brake fluid change based on her experience even though it was not called for in the service manual.

MBUSA seems to take the 100k lifespan literally. They expect people to trade in thir cars regularly. The last car I bought (Acura Legend) I kept for 13 years before I bought the CL55.

Many "lifetime" systems that should be maintained (eg ABC) have no US service interval.

Others that people can think of?

I think that inordinate depreciation is a problem for the marque going forward.

(On the other hand my 2003 NSX is worth more today than what I purchased it for.)

When do I sign up for an AMG Smartcar? Or would that be stupid?

Last edited by ivanj; 08-12-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM

2004 CL55
Considering the history of the CL55, the cards were stacked against it. As a high-end two door luxury coupe, depreciation was never going to be good in the first place, but at the rate MB improved these things it is easy to see why demand would drop for older years. Consider that in the early years this ultimate mercedes coupe was quickly replaced by one that had nearly 500HP, essentially the death blow to any resale of the old one. Then, just as we are getting used to this new ultimate mercedes, boom out comes the CL65 again delivering a resale body blow. Then, barely two years old the first CL65 was reskinned, and side by side the 215 model looked particularly long in tooth. Many who buy these cars have no interest if they don't have the newest/best, and we went through a period where MB was very quickly improving them, every 2 years. That period of dramatic increases seems to have ended, and the newer 65s do seem to be holding up better.

Regarding the warranty, I never got one. I called one place to check in last year, and they would not touch it. Knock on wood, but I have not needed it yet. It is a chance you take. If the air suspension goes, I guess I will pony up the 3-4K. If the engine goes,

Regarding the insurance, mine is about $1600/year in California, not much worse than my G35 I had before the Benz.

Many people cannot afford to maintain the car properly
+1, and this trend will only get worse
Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Hard to say but I guess it will average about 3-4K a year. I have an aftermarket warranty but they don`t cover much. Especially things that we may need covered (ball joints, suspension, motor mounts and other wear items). Did get the auto door latch covered (1k) but they are saying no to the auto trunck open/close.

Still love these cars!!! Just need to add a 65 next.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM

CL55 AMG
I've had my car a few days over a month now and i've already used the warranty, it was only a few hundred dollars that they had to spend, but it felt good that they didn't try to stick me, especially considering i am paying them monthly,a nd they've paid more out then i've paid in yet. GM's GMPP warranty rocks so far, hope i don't need it, but hope it stays there for me when I do.