CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Check and RE-Check your tire balance - here's why

Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
Check and RE-Check your tire balance - here's why

Recently replaced my tires (which happens way more often than it should) and everything seemed fine. I did notice a slightly more bouncy ride (by just a little and anybody besides me would never, ever notice) but attributed it to the new tires and new tread. I replaced them with the same tires in the front and different ones in the back. Drove for about 1000 miles and (because I am ****) decided to go back and check the balance again to make sure it wasn't that. Well, it was. Not even 1000 miles after replacing the tires, all 4 tires were out of balance! WTF? How does that happen in no time at all? Well, the guy told me that they put lube on the tires when they put them on to not scratch the rims. He said after driving, the tires "settle" on the rim and this slight movement causes them to now be out of balance again! Not to the point where the whole tire shakes and it's obvious when you drive, but by just a tad. Now, if I wasn't super **** with my ride, I would have never even thought twice about checking it again. It was barely, barely noticeable, but all 4 were out of balance! Not good. Of course this means worse handling, increased wear on the tires, more dangerous and whatever else. So, if you have recently changed your tires, it may be worth rechecking the balance, as now the car drives super smooth and feels much less twitchy on the road. A little FYI. Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
balancing tires is not an exact science- more like a compromise.

balance all you want, mount, drive for 100 miles, check balance - tires are off. repeat as many times as you wish until realize that they are always out of balance regardless of balancer brand and operator.

perfect balance is a hit or miss... once you hit it with a set of tires - stick with it.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
If they just balanced them on a standard balancer; then go back and get road force balance. Made a huge difference on the ride on my car..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd