CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

weird vibration at 2000 rpm-solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CL55 AMG
weird vibration at 2000 rpm-solved

05 cl55 AMG with 722 trans-had weird vibration on light accelerate at 2000 rpm only.Car has been serviced by dealer only since new-has 60k miles now when I bought it-In Nov 2013 at 59K dealer did flex coupler and trans mount and balanced tires and was the reason for this work(I called Them)
Car ran smooth otherwise and has new Conti-tac tires when i bought it
After reading a lot about about others vibration issues here issues-I decided to look at trans mount again and compared to a new OE mount-It was collapsed just enough(NOT BROKE OR CRACKED AT ALL) It was the cause of the problem-
I guess the dealer uses cheap parts as it was not a OE marked part-
Just like the cabin air filters(all 4) that were Never changed or the 3 micron ABC filter and fluid service never done-plan to do the Rodeo and change it again next oil service
Glad its fixed-hope this helps others
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
The trans mount can collapse if the engine mounts are going bad a well since the engine literally will jump out of the engine bay and jerk the transmission with it on harder pulls

I had this happen with mine, replaced the trans mount before replacing the engine mounts and when i replaced the engine mounts about a month later the trans mount was crushed again
Old 05-12-2013, 10:36 PM

CL55 AMG
I have service schedule for this week, and I plan to have my tech change the motor, and trans mount because of the vibration at 2000 rpm. Should I go with OEM or are there aftermarket parts that are better? If so what do you recommend?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:30 PM

05 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
The trans mount can collapse if the engine mounts are going bad a well since the engine literally will jump out of the engine bay and jerk the transmission with it on harder pulls

I had this happen with mine, replaced the trans mount before replacing the engine mounts and when i replaced the engine mounts about a month later the trans mount was crushed again
Engine mounts are new OEM but trans mount was NOT OEM
Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM

05 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by EvanRod
I have service schedule for this week, and I plan to have my tech change the motor, and trans mount because of the vibration at 2000 rpm. Should I go with OEM or are there aftermarket parts that are better? If so what do you recommend?
USE OEM-
The rubber in China is cheap and does not last like most of their stuff.
There are not regulated so this happens alot.
The little you save you will spend when you have to replace them again in short time has been my experience in a lot of non OEM parts.
Check the packaging for the county of origin-not the parts guys word.

OEM FIT is Not the same as OEM .
I have had tie rods,rotors,light bulbs and more fail in 1 years time for this reason on other cars i own and now see it on this car.
The old adage applies-You get what you pay for?

Be careful as some prior trusted name brand parts are also outsourcing in the sake of profit.Some have two lies of parts they carry-if the price is way cheaper beware.

Read the labels.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM

CL55 AMG W215
Same vibration problem again!

Im having the same exact problem with my 03 cl55 amg I changed the mount but still same problem. When you say OE Mount do you mean the OEM mount that I should by from the dealer my mechanic ordered mine from worldpac Im not sure if its OEM or not. I changed it 2 weeks ago and changed my motor mounts today. Where did you buy yours from - this message is to amg55

2003 CL55 AMG
Old 09-06-2014, 08:52 PM

CL55 AMG W215
Im having the same exact problem with my 03 cl55 amg I changed the mount but still same problem. When you say OE Mount do you mean the OEM mount that I should by from the dealer my mechanic ordered mine from worldpac Im not sure if its OEM or not. I changed it 2 weeks ago and changed my motor mounts today. Where did you buy yours from?

2003 CL55 AMG
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Make sure you use OEM (original equipment manufacturer) as he said but also replace your transmission mount whenever you replace your engine mounts even if you had it replaced before replacing your engine mounts.

Originally Posted by Benzlyfe_55
Im having the same exact problem with my 03 cl55 amg I changed the mount but still same problem. When you say OE Mount do you mean the OEM mount that I should by from the dealer my mechanic ordered mine from worldpac Im not sure if its OEM or not. I changed it 2 weeks ago and changed my motor mounts today. Where did you buy yours from?

2003 CL55 AMG
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM

CL55 AMG W215
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
Make sure you use OEM (original equipment manufacturer) as he said but also replace your transmission mount whenever you replace your engine mounts even if you had it replaced before replacing your engine mounts.
Alright got it. Thanks a lot Ill replace the mount again from dealer. Ill let you all know what happens.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:29 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Sounds good - If you replace all of those mounts and still get a vibration then something else is wrong, the only other things i could think of that would cause such a vibration would be a bent pulley or a cracked auxillery fan blade or fan blade ring but those would cause vibrations all of the time not just at certain RPM

Alright got it. Thanks a lot Ill replace the mount again from dealer. Ill let you all know what happens.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:58 AM

CL55 AMG W215
Alright I replaced it with a oem mount its gotten much much better, just a little vibration now so now im thinking its my rims, I bought the Sl63 AMG wheels yesterday so after i install those ill see if it makes any differences.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:51 AM

CL55 AMG W215
Hey, ok so I changed the engine mount then changed the transmission mounts (twice) -_- I changed my rear flex disc when i bought the car havn't done the front flex disc you think i need to change that as well? My mechanic checked it today he said it looks fine no cracks or anything I dnt know what else to do its an annoying problem that i cant figure out, maybe the driveshaft center support? I dnt know im losing hope in fixing this problem!!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:29 AM

03' CL55 AMG
Check all of your pulleys and belts, make sure your Harmonic Balancer 'Dampener Ring' is not rotted or chipped, check your main AUX fan (especially the blade connecting ring), check the main AUX fan shroud - If you see any cracks or loose bolts it can cause the slightest of wobble which can cause a LOT of vibration.

If none of that is the problem then also check your Transmission Valve Body then your tires (duh) and make sure all of your shock tower bolts are tight. Check to make sure your wheels, rotors and brake calipers are tightened properly (i had a mechanic forget to torque my lug bolts once and it caused a crazy vibration).

If none of that is the cause and your mechanic can't figure it out i would recommend taking your car to Benz Werks in Costa Mesa and talk to Jr. He has an intuition about these cars i havent seen before and almost always knows what's wrong with the car before i even bring it in just by telling him the symptoms over the phone, his number is - (949) 515-7530.

If you live in Tajunga it should be about an hour drive. I still take my car there for major work and it's about a 45 minute drive for me.

Hey, ok so I changed the engine mount then changed the transmission mounts (twice) -_- I changed my rear flex disc when i bought the car havn't done the front flex disc you think i need to change that as well? My mechanic checked it today he said it looks fine no cracks or anything I dnt know what else to do its an annoying problem that i cant figure out, maybe the driveshaft center support? I dnt know im losing hope in fixing this problem!!

Last edited by CharlestonN; 10-17-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
motor mounts < than the torque the car generates. doesn't matter what units you use. fluid filled will lose every time. remove your engine mounts. drill a small hole into the top of the mount. drain any fluid thats left. fill with low oder mineral spirits and rinse the inside and drain. go to home depot , lower etc and buy 2 tubes of window weld. ( same stuff windshield guys use to seal windshields.) fill each mount with window weld and let sit for 48 hrs. you now have semi solid motor mounts that will out last your car. nvh may increase but they won't fail
Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM

CL55 AMG W215
Oh man I just saw this now, Thx a lot for the help Ill give Jr. a call sometime this week im just stuck here now, changed tires, flex disc rear and front, engine mounts, transmission mount, driveshaft center support, and spark plugs and still there I guess not as bad but it's still there and its not like a big vibration you just feel like the car wants to move but is hesitant like I have noticed the rpm arrow will wiggle very slightly at 1500rpm back and forth for a little bit then ill get to 2000rpm and it will get normal its at the point where it'll have a minor vibration when the arrow wiggles at the 1500 rpm line that's where I get the minor vibration if im going up hill I feel it more. So I'm just stuck man the next thing my mechanic says to do is get the driveshaft balanced.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
So is this a vibration you get while driving? Or also while standing still? beacause if your are standing still and have no vibration at idle or any other RPM, its not the motor or gearbox mounts.
I often had virbrations that were slightly bent brake discs. I killed mine on the CL55 AMG aswell... Went for a quick Autobaghn drive, braked from 160mph down to 0mph as quick as possible and turned of the car... noticed that there was lots of smoke coming from inside the rims with a typical smell for braks.
Since that i have small vibration during drive and whenever i slightly brake down from lets say 70mph so 40mph or so. Gonna replace the discs this season.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, SL500, SLK320, ML320, CLK 430
any luck Benzlyfe????? I have the same exact problem !!!

Please let us know what you found out, I don't want to keep throwing money at this. I've had it checked on SDS and all is normal so I'm thinking it mechanical, did tranny mount because I thought my motor mounts were fine, drove a month with same vibration shudder hesitation or whatever it is and then discovered the engine mounts were actually bad so I change them. Drove around another month as thought maybe the bad mounts destroyed the new tranny mount so I changed the tranny mount again! Still the problem persists, it's soooo annoying!! When I was down there doing the tranny mount I noticed a very small crack around one of the flex disk bolts so I ordered a new one but I think I'm waiting my money based on everything your have tried Benzlyfe. Any updates would be awesome! Does yours seem to happen more once the car is warmed up? Or less after a ecu reset? I'm thinking maybe something g like the thottle body needs to be relearned. My buddy did a reinitialization on his SDS but did not help, car runs a little smoother but the vibration is still there! Grrrrr. My Merc tech buddy thinks it maybe a loose pumpkin or rear suspension component. I do have a bad accumulator and brake are due in the rear so maybe it's related? Suspension vibrating the torque at 2000rpm due to the bad/soft nitrogen ball (accumulator)? Anyone have some input? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, SL500, SLK320, ML320, CLK 430
anyone???

Bump
Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 PM

2003 cl500
I have the exact same problem. One thing I notice, is when the ac is off it doesn't vibrate nearly as much. Try running the car with the ac off, then turn on.. maybe it's something with the unit, maybe the tensioner, or something else. But I definately noticed a difference.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:26 PM

C300
So what was the fix?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:29 PM

C300
Oh man I just saw this now, Thx a lot for the help Ill give Jr. a call sometime this week im just stuck here now, changed tires, flex disc rear and front, engine mounts, transmission mount, driveshaft center support, and spark plugs and still there I guess not as bad but it's still there and its not like a big vibration you just feel like the car wants to move but is hesitant like I have noticed the rpm arrow will wiggle very slightly at 1500rpm back and forth for a little bit then ill get to 2000rpm and it will get normal its at the point where it'll have a minor vibration when the arrow wiggles at the 1500 rpm line that's where I get the minor vibration if im going up hill I feel it more. So I'm just stuck man the next thing my mechanic says to do is get the driveshaft balanced.
So what was the fix? (Why is this thread marked as solved?)
Old 11-16-2019, 12:06 PM

2006 S55 AMG
S55 AMG Vibration @ 1800-2000 RPM

Originally Posted by EN Tizik
So what was the fix? (Why is this thread marked as solved?)
Have the same issue with my 2006 S55 AMG! Vibration at 1800-2000 RPM. You can feel the vibration while in park but is it more prevalent under load when accelerating. You can feel the vibration in any gear at that RPM range. I broke a motor mount and have had all both the motor and transmission mounts replaced recently and the problem did not occur until soon after these were replaced. I specifically asked for OEM parts and was told that's what I got but, I'm inclined to think the trans mount is my problem or a bad pulley as MB suggests replacing the DUO pulley. I've already replaced the harmonic balancer and the torque converter which did not solve the problem.

Taking this back on Monday 11/18 for additional diagnosis from the shop that replaced all the mounts.

BTW, how do you know if you are actually getting OEM parts. Does the box need to have German text all over it?
Old 11-29-2019, 09:03 PM

2006 S55 AMG
Smile S55 AMG Vibration @ 1800-2000 RPM

I must have been given non OEM parts! I had the engine and trans mounts replaced and it rides like new again! MAKE SURE YOU GET GENUINE GERMAN PARTS!
The following users liked this post:
Checkedout (11-29-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Trans mount, motor mounts, flex coupler , tires and bent rims all cause vibrations on these cars.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
CL63, 2014 ML63, 2008 ML63, R500, GLK
Adding my experience to this vibration dilemma. Initially I suspected torque converter but I started picking cost effective bushings and links to sort the vibrations out. Vibrations stared at 60mph+ but then developed a drivetrain shudder at 35-41mph at 1800-2000 rpm

flex discs done, carrier mount/bearing done, trans and engine mounts done... next is front control arm bushings(lots of play there) contributing to 50mph+ vibration and rear shock mounts I believe is responsible for slight intermittent shudders... Mercedes vibrations are annoying but I got rid of 95% of it. Will report back along with new tires and see what the culprit finally was.

2008 CL63

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: weird vibration at 2000 rpm-solved