CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

DIY: ABC pump rebuild (Pictures + steps)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
s600 amg renntech/ brabus
Mine does not drop though. When red light comes on it stays up just bouces. I had everything checked and only thing benz said was it makes pressure but the sensor says no. So they want to change sensor again just had done year ago before strut plunger went out. Will let u know cause it's bs old sensor lasted years new one 18 days after the one year warranty and it's bad and they won't bend. Looking for sensor cause not paying to change whole block again with accumulator will try eBay and see if it does trick. If not going to Arnott and doing coil over and so everyone knows no sway bars does not matter friend did and car is not bad. They made springs tight and strut sporty valving and it great. Just tiny bit ruff but no roll issues. And don't use strut masters cause he used first and thiers rolls alot. But will try to fix mine first before converting. Let me know if u figure it out first...
Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
as far as i know arnott only makes coilovers for air suspension, not abc.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:35 AM

They r same. They don't have kit for abc but same strut s. Friend used sds and turned off abc and removed whole system and put s500 pump on and sl500 reservoir. Struts r same and sway bars mean nothing with way they made kit. U get it cheap just send in abc struts and get 200 each and still lifetime warranty cause we asked and they don't care as long as not abusing them. And if u have shop call or order them u save 20%. But like I said will try to fix mine first if not then I will remove whole system. And if I do will list here on .org cause most system is new and very well maintained. Cause he took it all out sensors and all even wiring we chased down and removed. And likei said car is 100% no will tell me otherwise cause I've even drove it on track and it handles great. And if u have to have sway bars call Mercedes and ask for minus 40 kit.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Renntech S600
Top 5 Reasons Not To TRUST MB DEALERS!!

Hi I have a 2005 S00 and this is what I have been through.....

1.) 19k Miles. The car had been sitiing in the garage for months. Went to start Batt was dead.. Decided to treat her to a new Batt. Installed a new one and Ignition and Key not working. Went to Mercedes Of Nanuet NY and was immediatly to by service underwriter that because I had changed that battery myself anf had not used a genuine MB battery that I had fried the Electronic Ingnition???? He told me how lucky I was that they had one in stock and could change it immediatly at a cost of $4200.. Having done mechanics work before I immediatly questioned him on the differences between a branded and generic Batt.. Also Question how he could determine without having seen the car.. I was told again $4200 to fix the car and he brought in head mechanic to back him up (Thank God). The first question that he asked me was "Did you discharge the system?" which i had forgotten to in my rush.. Went home disconnected the battery, dischargerd, reconnect and all was good SAVING ME $4200!!!!!

2.) The next morning went to pull the car out of the garage (up a slight incline) and all electronics in the car went crazy, lights falashing on and off , car sputtered and stalled. Could never get it started again.. Not wanting to go back to Nanuet i went to Prestige Mercedes Paramus NJ. Immediatly when I told them what had happened, they explained to me that I should have it towed in.. The service underwritter asked me what Year Model Color And Milage.. I was then informed of how "God Awefull it would be to repair.. ?????? I was then introduced to a salesman and was told that IT WAS MY LUCKY DAY that they would give me a very good deal on a new one and would allow me to trade in my car at wholesale minus the "God Awefull Repair Bill". I decline their most graciose offer to steal my car and continued to try and figure it out myself.

3.) Got in toch with a great guy who specializes in MB Precision Auto In Denville NJ. My car had already been towed to a friends shop and we began checking fuses ect.. We were constantly on the phone with Precision asking questions and would eventually lift passengers side carpet to find it was full of water. You could See the stains of where it was entering from which we photographed and we were then aware that I had a BAD REED VALVE (Class Action Lawsuit REED VALVE)

Called back to service underwriter at Prestige and explained the water ect leaving out the part that I knew it was the REED VALVE. He explained to me that they had seen this problem many times before. Went into extreme detail of the work that would have to be done, removing interior, replacind SAMS ect. He had known it the whole time and again reminded me of the Deal that they offered me on the New Car. (I Recorded The Enitire Conversation). I then decided that it should be handled in person and went to Prestige

Upon my arrival I was greeted with "STAR SERVICE" and was again being pitched on a new car which was infuriating!! I showed the service rep whom I had just talked to on the phone the pictures and stated that I knew where the watter was coming from and asked who was going to pay the "God Awefull Bill" He then changed his story stating that he had never seen a car with water damage under passengers side carpet and had no idea of what a reed valve was... I immediatly left.

4.) 15 minutes later I arrived at Mercedes Benz North American Headquarters Montavale NJ and demanded to se a manager immediatly.. I was redirected to another building which housed their "Customer Care" (What A Joke!!) Department.. (With my recorder on) I was greeted by a MR Hammond (Sevice Manager) who was very complimentary of my car as he explained to me that it was their flagship and only 400 were made per year. I explained my situation again and my horror stories with the dealers, leaving out that I knew it was the REED VALVE.

He told me that he had never heard of such a thing and that I should not bother Mercedes because "I Left A Window Open" I then showed him the pictures and made him aware that I knew where the water was coming from. He denied ever hearing anything about that and I was instructed to call my Insurance company and let them deal with it.

I then advised MR Hammond of the Public Relation Event that I was planning to be held in the parking lot accross the street "BRING ME YOUR MERCEDES HORROR STORIES AND TAKE A SWING AT THE &138K PIECE OF CRAP" (I was not kidding) I also explained to him at that I was in construction and at the end I would mash that piece of crap into the ground with one of my excavators. I also informed him that I was going to blow up his business card to banner size and use it as the backdrop, reminding him that when the video went viral on youtube that the guys back in Germany would know exactly who he was. I Left and WITHIN 5 MINUTES I GOT A CALL ON MY CELL TELLING ME THAT THEY KNEW ABOUT THE READ VALVE ISSUES AND THAT THEY WOULD FIX AT NO CHARGE $11,000 SAVINGS!!!

5.) 23K Miles I was in Naples Fl when car went into TRANSMISSION LIMP MODE. Took it to Mercedes Of Naples were I was informed by service underwriter that I would need new transmission control unit located within the transmission.. ($2200) Was asked for my credit card (Believe it would be safer posting it on internet with SS# and mothers maiden name rather than giving it to MB Service Underwriter who is making commision off of selling me parts that i dont need) I asked how that could be and was informed of the BS that i see all over the forums about "Wicking" of electrical wires due to lack of service. He then asked me if i had changed my fluigs at 50k (Car only has 23k) kept questioning him until he
eventually allowed me to meet mechanic in the shop.. Sure enough there "Star Parts Selling Tool" was telling them no signal from transmision meaning this controller was fried. As I ran my fingers through my hair in disgust I noticed that there was a wire unplugged in the control box. When I asked why the wire was unplugged they looked at me and told me TODAY WAS MY LUCKY DAY AND THAT I HAD JUST SAVED MYSELF $2200 UN- F ing Believable!!!!!!! How the wire came completely off i will never know!! I left only having to pay the $180 diagnostic fee..
Old 01-23-2014, 11:12 AM

05 Renntech S600
Originally Posted by biker349
as far as i know arnott only makes coilovers for air suspension, not abc.
This is correct there is no solution other than to try and fix. Absolutely no cost effective way around it.

I am afraid to take my car into dealers as they will start just replacing every part in the sytem as the others have stated on this forum... We must get together and figure out the MB GREMILNS.. Dreasure o not believe may car has anything to do with the blocks as it drops evenly also no visible leaks anywhere.

My first pump went do to Bad High Preasure hose that was recalled until 04 (My Car as LUK would have it is an 05) I believe that all of our problem are inter related somehow and will now begin to break down my old pump as I still have it any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Well pumps are very hard to brake lack of fluids is really only way if no leaks. Mine went bad before and stopped pumping and it was just springs and o ring s. I changed cause saw small leak. And all better. If u never see metal in fluid then pump is fine. The rest of system is problem cause of pin hole solenoid s to control flow. Almost every issue I have had is electrical! Bad hight sensor s or strut plunger. And rear block was all cause bad fluid clogged pin hole on valve. So to me valves fault so electrical. Anyway I have a dealer that really helps cause owner races with me at atco in nj and maple grove race way in pa. So he just let's me talk to tech and tech knows I build my own drag cars so there is no beating around the bush. I also race with Mercedes Benz club at autocross events for keystone section. I m on you tube and keystone president s Facebook page with autocross videos. But as for today he had it tested at a bleeder and pump is working. So next is pressure sensor. Found one on eBay used but says it works. Only 75.00 so I think I can afford the risk of trying. But will let u know if we pin point it. And Arnott system is good way to fix it. In my eyes. Strip off the problem and put on a system that works for millions of cars. And if like mine with engine done up not alot in the way to fix stuff in engine bay. And deleting system would make it even easier cause taking more out of engine bay. Anyway will keep updated. Good luck. And do u get codes? Mine is just low pressure code.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

CL 500 (2003 W215). Range Rover Sport. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari F355 spider. MV Agusta F4.
First of, this is an outstanding thread, thanks for your efforts, very helpful.
I am about to do the same ABC pump rebuild due to my pump pissing lots of oil onto the deck.
The reason for this post.
1/ Looking into my engine bay I can't figure out were all the bolts are for removing the pump. I am guessing there must be one at the rear some were. Has anyone got a procedure for pump removal and or any tips?

2/Also did you simply just bleed the system via the up and down suspension button as per valve block swapping ect?

I do hope you answer my questions and any answers will be great fully received.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Pump is on drivers side and at top. Take intake out and air box for that side. Mine I removed drivers side intercooler and pipe. Put rag in turbo so nothing drops in. Ther are two front bolts and one rear bolt with bracket. I also pulled coil pack out but take time with coil! I put needle vise grips on source line for pump to keep fluid from leaking then removed lines then pump. Just be patient and take time cause it can get annoying fast but take time it will come out sooner or later. A mirror and flash light helps too. And guys mine was pressure sensor. Some how the rubber mount s broke off it and it feel when driving and snapped sensor off. Never saw anything hanging but yeah well. And 75$ ebay one did the job but this summer I will be removing system just cause. So if anyone needs parts keep me in mind. Will list when off and all will be for sale... blocks pump lines struts level sensor s everything. Even abc computer and wiring harnesses or pig tails. Good luck with rebuild it's not that bad after pulley is off.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM

CL 500 (2003 W215). Range Rover Sport. Ferrari 360 spider. Ferrari F355 spider. MV Agusta F4.
Hey thanks for the info brother, so there are 3 bolts then. Is the rear bolt located at the top or bottom of the rear of the pump?
I know we're the pump is located and I am just doing my home work before I start the removal. My car is only the cl500 and not the turbo, but I love it all the same
Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 PM

04 S55 AMG
you sir are a genius !!!! Ive had my S55 sitting in storage for like a year b/c of the ABC pump and me just being to cheap to order a new pump or buy a used one....
Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM

CL63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John 99CLK430
This is a superb and easy to follow write-up. This is a huge benefit to those who are unfamiliar with a ABC pump and are afraid to tackle it.

To further add to your thread, here is a great link I came across to when I was searching for valve block repairs and also has info on that ABC oil magnetic filter. http://translate.google.de/translate...-abc1.htm%23b6
Thank you all guys.... I have had (3) MBs with the ABC system... kinda love/hate relationship... There is hope guys and thanks for sharing your knowledge and hard labors!!!

Cheers.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
Has anyone else attempted this rebuild? I'm thinking of trying it for a friend. Looks possible from this great write up.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by richvegas
Has anyone else attempted this rebuild? I'm thinking of trying it for a friend. Looks possible from this great write up.

Thanks
I have faith in you
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM

CL600
ABC PUMP

Does anyone know if when you remove the 7 hex head plugs (where the springs and pistons are located) if there are some type of seals in between the threads and head of the plugs. Just pulled my pump apart today and looks like there was sealant or flat o-ring. Hard to tell because some of them didn't have anything around them and some had a small pieces left on the head. The pieces of sealant are hard and brittle.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: ABC pump rebuild (Pictures + steps)-img_1766.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
CL55 AMG
I don't remember seeing any o-rings for those 7 hex screws. If there was any o-rings for those it'd be pictured in the kit with 7 of them, but there are not.

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM

mine also did not have any seals. think seals with flat area of screw like a crush washer.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55 AMG
I found that I could order this rebuilt pump for $350, Cardone Industries 21-5385, it has a lifetime warranty. Anyone else think this is a bad idea or good?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
hi, can you give us more info on the pump. i checked cardone industries with you number and found the pump. they did not have a price and apparently you have to buy through a vendor that deals with them. more info. on where to purchase would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 PM

2003 CL55 AMG
Summit shows to have it, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-21-5385 , but Advance Auto Parts also shows to have it but they don't have any in stock so it might have to be ordered in store.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM

2003 CL55 AMG
Napa Auto parts also shows to have it, http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...936_0370974525 , for $359....
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thanks. just got back from dealer. my pump was replaced 15,000 miles ago with a new pump and it's leaking and needs to be replaced. so much for dependability of new pumps!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
Rebuild my own pump, roll the dice on a reman'd unit, or bite the bullet for new? I think I'll be taking the bullet.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 08-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Everything you ever wanted to know (really) about ABC system is written up in this fine blog
http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html
Old 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM

2002 CL600, 2003 E320
Hello everyone, was wondering if anyone had any pointers on taking the pulley off. I have used several pullers and have been unsuccessful. I have tried a 3 arm jaw puller, a push puller as well as a 20 ton hydraulic press. This thing is just not budging. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM

2003 CL500
Case wouldn't come out after pulley

I can't get the case out after I got the pulley removed at a shop, people on the forums say you just tap it and it comes off but no luck here..... Any ideas ??

Thanks in advance.
Car been sitting for over 3 months

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: ABC pump rebuild (Pictures + steps)