CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

I could not let this one die...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
I could not let this one die...

Hello everyone. This is my first post and the main reason I joined was to say thank you and give back to the community somehow/someway. I am a used car dealer, but even before I was, the CL55 has long been one of my all time favorite cars. I just could never justify purchasing one due to all the suspension & electrical horror stories I've heard through the grapevine. Combine that with all the cars I've seen firsthand at auctions with various suspension & electrical issues, I just wasn't willing to pay anywhere near close to the price these cars were commanding knowing what I knew about them.

Almost exactly a year ago, I saw the 2003 CL55 below at auction. It was one of the victims of Super Storm Sandy in the NorthEast of the US (Long Island) and I could not pass her up. Car went for unbelievably cheap and I had to pull the trigger. I purchased the car based of a few low resolution auction pictures, but based on the pictures I did see, car appeared fairly clean. It was being sold with no key, flood damage, electrical damage... I still had to pull the trigger.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I finally got the car running with the help of this forum, a few other forums, Google, and putting in some hours troubleshooting electrical issues.

If you take a look at the door, you can clearly see the water mark of where the flooding reached. Water also entered the fog lights.

Luckily, the water intrusion to the cabin only affected the passenger side. The rear SAM/fusebox were destroyed, the phone module was destroyed, alarm & window module were iffy, no obvious signs of water damage, but it was too early to tell. In the pic below, you can see the soot, silt, dirt, minerals that settled under the passenger side carpet.

Compared to the passenger side, the drivers side is surgically clean.

I had to replace this pre-fuse block, the previous owner tried to start the car while the rear fuse block and SAM were swimming in salt water.

I was not getting power to the EIS so the key would not turn, I had to put a jumper wire on the EIS fuse to allow the key to even turn, but even after I added the jumper wire, the car would not start or crank. Just ACC & IGN...

Here is where I spliced in all new terminals/connectors/pins to all modules under the rear passenger seat.

After all the salt water was dried out/evaporated, this is what your carpet looks like...

From bottom to top... 2006 phone module, 2003 water damaged phone module, 2003 water damaged rear SAM/fuse block.

This shot shows the first time the car has moved under its own power in almost a year. After the car started, amazingly the suspension rose right up and no ABC issues with the exception of the right front suspension height being ever so slightly lower than the left side... 1/4" or so lower. Shortly after this shot, I gave her a well deserved bath with the pressure washer to get off almost a year of dirt. Car looks pretty good for not being washed in almost a year.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
outstanding. however, i would not have touched that car at any cost. you are a brave man and you have been rewarded.

kudos
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I hope it works out for you and you got it cheap. Just be ready for the money you are about to start throwing at the car. CL ownership is not for the squeemish, cheap, or poor.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Welcome to CL ownership. Nice to see a potential scrap saved. Of course, some of us need parts so don't save them all!
LOL
Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
very cool!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:04 AM

Mercedes CL55
Nice man.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:17 AM

W215 CL65
Makes me smile! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
nice man, hope it treats you well
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 AM

mercedes cl500
That's awesome!! I really enjoy how so many ppl on this site have so much pride and love for their cars. Everyone around where I am from just doesn't seem to share the same joy. Just always ends in drama its pathetic. Anyway awesome project I love my cl even with all the issues she throws at me lol
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Wow. Very cool!
Please continue to post more about this car :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:41 AM

C32
Very good work indeed
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Fantastic rescue and kudos to you!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:20 AM

2003 CL55
Nothing much to add. I had to take care of some service items before I begin with the fun stuff...

1. Belts, pulleys, & bearings were noisy. Replaced a few items on the front of the motor including supercharger bearing (thanks to this forum)...
2. Rear rotors were in bad shape, replaced pads, rotors, and emergency brake shoes, also cleaned calipers.
3. Parking brake lever wouldn't stay engaged and the release lever felt sloppy and wouldnt spring back, fixed that.
4. Still need to perform some ABC preventative maintenence & replace rear wheel bearings, then I can have some fun...

If you are having parking brake issues such as the foot lever not staying engaged, the release handle not pulling itself back in, no spring tension, excess slack in release lever, or the feeling that your parking brake is partially engaged, this may be your problem:

1. First you have to remove black plastic cover that hides the mechanism

2. Pic of the cover removed

3. My issue was the black L shaped rod directly above the spring had jumped out of the pocket that it is supposed to sit in, once I put it back in place, all was good. I also bent it inward some more so hopefully it does not happen again...

Last edited by chinchin; 03-31-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 AM

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by alx
outstanding. however, i would not have touched that car at any cost. you are a brave man and you have been rewarded.

kudos
Thank you. Fortune favors the brave...

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I hope it works out for you and you got it cheap. Just be ready for the money you are about to start throwing at the car. CL ownership is not for the squeemish, cheap, or poor.
I definitely wouldnt recommend this car to anyone who does not have deep pockets, friends with a good indy, or can perform and enjoy working on their own vehicles... maybe all of the above...

Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Welcome to CL ownership. Nice to see a potential scrap saved. Of course, some of us need parts so don't save them all!
LOL
Thanks. I bought a parts car because it was cheaper than running to the dealership... even with my discount, I come out on top by getting the parts cars.

Originally Posted by shardul
very cool!!!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by JPhamily
Nice man.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by adamls2
Makes me smile! Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
nice man, hope it treats you well
She already has... large grin every time I step on it...

Originally Posted by junctionvip
That's awesome!! I really enjoy how so many ppl on this site have so much pride and love for their cars. Everyone around where I am from just doesn't seem to share the same joy. Just always ends in drama its pathetic. Anyway awesome project I love my cl even with all the issues she throws at me lol
Thanks. Its one of my all time favorite cars. The issues are not that bad when you think about it. You are basically getting near supercar performance for little to no money. Maintenence is pretty affordable if you dont run to the dealer for everything.

Originally Posted by Crissus
Wow. Very cool!
Please continue to post more about this car :-)
Will do.

Originally Posted by Doctor Stavros
Very good work indeed
Thanks.

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Fantastic rescue and kudos to you!
Thanks.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 CL65
Will you tell us what you paid? Was it a Copart car?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Did you need some modules or wiring harness:? I have a complete one from a CL55 if you have any issues (knock on wood)!!!