CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Killer Chiller

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Any updates on the KC progress? Still planning to put one on mine this winter so I can have cold air every day next year. Im sure no one is more anxious to see it work than you but I too am anxious to see how well it works on a CL65.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
Here's the latest:

I'm having a few issues with the AC, which were likely preexisting and not related to the KC. I just can't seem to get the low side pressure down where it needs to be. The best I currently get for cooling is AC vent temps 28-30F under ambient. As a result, on a 95F day the best I get is 65F air, but that's on the highway. Each time a come to a stop the vent temps warm 10F if not more right away. The AIT's appear to be unaffected by the KC so far.

I'm in the process of replacing the sun sensor and I've already repaired the temp sensor located in the overhead console. Once all the AC error codes are gone I plan on taking it to a local Indy. I would have already taken it, but I don't want them blaming the sensors I'm replacing.

It appears mine might have a blockage or it's overcharged based on the diagnostic test I ran. Also, when I use DAS to monitor the AC Compressor, it's seems to be cycling on and off.

Now I just need to figure out what "Test 7" is and how to run it.

Killer Chiller-20140713_174453_zpspamb3trk.jpg
Old 07-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Buick T-Type, 70 cuda, S65 and a very FAST Truck!
Howdy,

I have been very interested in the KC also for my S65. After looking at all the components I would like to tie it in to the rear AC condenser for the back seats since it is a separate unit on the S class. Does the CL have the same set up for the rear seat AC? That way you still get 100% AC in the front seats where it is needed most but get KC cooling on the rear circuit. For the S it looks like you can tie into the lines where they run under the driver side fender by the drivers footwell that runs to the AC unit in the center console.

Please keep the updates coming!
Old 07-18-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For an update, I've eliminated all the "F" codes I was seeing with DAS. The sun sensor, overhead console fan, and overhead console temp sensor are all working now. Total cost of repairs was under $30 thanks to DAS and ebay.

I plan on dropping the car off at a local Indy next week. If they can't figure it out, I'll finally start to get worried.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Picking the car up today from EuroFix of Nashville. They can't find an issue. The low side is at 50 PSI and the high side is at 275. The vent temps drop into the 30's when cruising, but the KC doesn't seem to be having a significant affect on the IAT's.

Maybe I've missed something. I was under the impression that the CL65's cooling system was split. If that's not the case, then that could explain a lot. It would be impossible for the KC to cool the water if it's being heated in the reservoir by engine coolant.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM

The coolant system is definitly split and they do not mix on the V12 TTs. If you put your hand on the intercoolers are they cold? Your low side pressure seems a bit high but if you are getting 30 degree air temps then the AC is working well. I would suspect there is possibly air in the intercooler system, so perhaps coolant is not flowing thru the intercoolers. You might have a big air bubble which is common on these cars. What kind of IATs are you getting vs outside air temps?

Can you touch the KC and see if the unit is cold on the outlet line?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
All V12TT charge air cooling circuit is isolated.
did you have a rear tank?
From all the KC setups I have seen the chilled water is stored in the rear tank, which is feed directly to the intercoolers. Now it does takes some time to initially to chill all the water in the tank

Last edited by shardul; 07-29-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Flight Test
The coolant system is definitly split and they do not mix on the V12 TTs. If you put your hand on the intercoolers are they cold? Your low side pressure seems a bit high but if you are getting 30 degree air temps then the AC is working well. I would suspect there is possibly air in the intercooler system, so perhaps coolant is not flowing thru the intercoolers. You might have a big air bubble which is common on these cars. What kind of IATs are you getting vs outside air temps?

Can you touch the KC and see if the unit is cold on the outlet line?
Well, looks like the tech exaggerated the car's current capacity to cool. The best I was seeing on my drive home yesterday was 37 degree vent temps under ambient. It was 82F outside, and the vent temps dropped to 45F. That's still not shabby, but the IAT's didn't budge.

I can try burping the intercoolers again, but the air temps are not that bad (30-50F over ambient).

The water outlet hose only registers 10F cooler than the incoming water, so it's definitely not cool/cold to touch.

Originally Posted by shardul
All V12TT charge air cooling circuit is isolated.
did you have a rear tank?
From all the KC setups I have seen the chilled water is stored in the rear tank, which is feed directly to the intercoolers. Now it does takes some time to initially to chill all the water in the tank
I currently don't have a rear tank. That's my next step, since if the KC doesn't get figured out I'll need a tank anyway.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 07-30-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
This is surprising as there are guys in the Lightning community running KC's who bypass the factory H/E because the KC works so well with no reserve or additional help at all. Did John say if you were the first CL65 to run one?

In normal driving my IAT's ae 30-50* over ambient now, when stuck in traffic or lots of starts & stops with short drives I see temps up in to the 180's. After a few freeway miles they drop back to the low 100's though (30-50 over ambient). You say that is what you are seeing with the KC?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Matt
This is surprising as there are guys in the Lightning community running KC's who bypass the factory H/E because the KC works so well with no reserve or additional help at all. Did John say if you were the first CL65 to run one?

In normal driving my IAT's ae 30-50* over ambient now, when stuck in traffic or lots of starts & stops with short drives I see temps up in to the 180's. After a few freeway miles they drop back to the low 100's though (30-50 over ambient). You say that is what you are seeing with the KC?

I'm surprised too, as I thought it would work well the way it sits. According to John there is another CL65 out there with the kit, and it's running nicely. Maybe he'll have the guy call me to discuss. I'd like to know that guy's vent temps at idle and on the highway, because that's a big part of it I believe. And yes, I'm seeing 30-50 over with the KC hooked up.

I'm on my 3rd thermal expansion valve, and I've pulled the AC down(either myself or others) 5 times. Next time pull it down I'm changing out the dryer.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM

I can't really tell, but it looks like from your video you are running straight water in the intercooler system. I have heard of several killer chillers being damaged by the water freezing between the cooling plates and damaging the system and restricting flow. Some kind of antifreeze is recommended. (Note “water wetter” does not alter the freezing point but only helps provide pump lubrication).

If you are having problems I would call Joe first but then start looking at making sure the lines are installed correctly on the correct end of the KC. With only a 10 degree delta T on the KC something is not right with you getting that good of AC temp drop.

My S65 sees pretty constant +50 degree IATs after it is heat soaked.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Flight Test what cooling system do you have
Old 07-30-2014, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Flight Test
I can't really tell, but it looks like from your video you are running straight water in the intercooler system. I have heard of several killer chillers being damaged by the water freezing between the cooling plates and damaging the system and restricting flow. Some kind of antifreeze is recommended. (Note “water wetter” does not alter the freezing point but only helps provide pump lubrication).

If you are having problems I would call Joe first but then start looking at making sure the lines are installed correctly on the correct end of the KC. With only a 10 degree delta T on the KC something is not right with you getting that good of AC temp drop.

My S65 sees pretty constant +50 degree IATs after it is heat soaked.

Good catch. I'll check the intercooler system tonight and see what level of freeze protection the water/antifreeze mix is currently providing. FWIW, I've probably spoken to Joe a dozen times regarding everything. His customer service is top notch.

Last edited by Grip Grip; 07-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM

On the 65 I am currently running just an updated pump. I have experience with the KC (Gen 1) in the past on a Mustang. I have been eyeing a KC for the 65 and tying it into the rear AC right by the driver side inner fender where the lines go under the body. (The S classes have a full rear AC system in the console, I am not sure if the 215s do or not.) There is an existing rear shutoff there that would be perfect for disabling the system to get full frontal AC. I like you live in Texas where AC is a very important commodity.