CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Kayless Reprogram and brake question for CL65 W215

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes CL65
Keyless Reprogram and brake question for CL65 W215

Hello all,

I searched a bit and think the answer is to just eat the re-program cost quoted by the dealer and other shop, but wanted to ask just in case someone knew of a way to DIY this...

I bought a one-owner 2005 CL65 and the spare key is original, so it functions fine for keyless entry, but not for keyless GO. I think that is by design, right?

The main key (silver trim, etc) seems to be a replacement since it doesn't work for keyless entry and keyless go, but works in the dash to start the car.

I was just curious if there is any way to have the new key operate properly without spending a couple hundo on the whole process...

The brake question is simply what pad wear level do the sensors trip for "Brake Wear Visit Shop" to alert? I know the shop said I was down to around 15% left, so I am assuming 10% by now?

Thanks everyone...

Cheers!

Last edited by CobraCommander; 07-18-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Tried to change "Kayless" to "Keyless" LOL
Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Id start by verifying the part # of the keys you have are even Keyless Go keys.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
I thought keyless go was a standard option for the 65s? But I could be wrong
Old 06-29-2014, 02:22 PM

2005 Mercedes CL65
Thanks, I'll check into the part number for the key... From what I can tell, the spare key is the original and the main key (chrome accents, etc.) was a replacement.

I've read a bunch of old posts and it just seems like I need to bite the bullet and have the key re-coded. It only functions as a push-button keyless entry, but not when just walking up and opening the door. It also functions for manual ignition, but not keyless go... The spare operates as true keyless entry, but not keyless go/push button start and I think that might be how it was intended...

Oh well, I was trying to see if anyone may have come up with something new in recent months/years since some of the posts were a little on the older side.

From what I read, the Keyless Go might have been an option at least in the 2005, but then again I could be wrong because I was reading the listing from where I bought the car from and it suggested that it was an option like the Distronic and Parktronic systems.

Looked like they copied it from something official, but just how it was written seemed to suggest option over standard... I swear I also saw one for sale without the option, but that was long ago.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Keyless go was an option. Yes, I believe you will have to get key programmed from the dealer. They charged me $75 to do one for me because my car only had one key when I bought it. Maybe they will cut you a break on 2. Seems dumb to not have the spare work like the main key though.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 AM

2005 Mercedes CL65
The shop I usually go to said I needed a new key and said it would be over $300 to get it taken care of. Seems a bit steep when searching some of the threads here, so I think they might be beefing that up... What are some typical prices for someone to replace the entire key AND have it programmed to the keyless go?

I did try just replacing the fob battery, but no luck... The spare key allows me to just walk up to the car and grab the handle to open, but the main key does nothing but act like a normal push-button fob to open the doors and use in the ignition.

I'd like to get the keyless go working since I have that silly intermittent "no start" when turning the key crap. It seems to just be a connection issue maybe caused by dust, etc. but it would be nice to just have this option working and not have to pay a zillion dollars to do it.