CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

accumulators

Old 10-03-2014, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SLK55 AMG - Renntech Supercharged
One of my accumulators went out today. When I walked out to my car after work there was a big puddle up front. I poped the hood and saw ABC fluid all over the reservoir. I suppose a nitrogen membrane on one of the accumulators ruptured, blowing out the fluid. Car still holds 190 bar, but it's clearly time to start swapping them. Luckily this car is just as fun as it is expensive to maintain. I even took it to the track tonight, but got rained out. Bad day I guess.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005-CL55, 2006-R350
GripGrip, I had the same puddle from the reservoir last week as well, it never ran dry and I filled it immediately. Too late though, the pump gave out the next day. I don't actually know if it was an accumulator or the pump sucking air from the hole in it's side.

I replaced the front accumulator yesterday, easy. I also replaced the ABC pump, not so easy. All I can say is that the bolt and stud on the back of the ABC pump are a MAJOR, GIANT pain in the butt to get to. All told, the pump replacement took me 10 hours... wrong tools, new belt and both fluid flushes included. I'm sure there is a SST for that rear bolt and nut.

When my back pain goes away, I'm going to replace the rear accumulator. If anybody knows a link with rear accumulator photos on a CL55, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
You can make out the Rear Accumulator right above the passenger side muffler..
You have to remove the bolts to the muffler and the center muffler brace and lower it down and then you can reach it..

There are two more accumulators also by the way, the one near the fuel filter, and also the one on the passenger side behind to the side of the front wheel (versus the drivers side accumulator in front of the wheel in the wheel well.)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
So I finally got around to replacing all four accumulators. Turns out both the front and rear (big) accumulators were bad. I stuck a chopstick into both and it went straight in which indicates that its bad. Heres a pic of all of the old ones removed.

Everything was pretty straight forward. Finding all four was pretty easy in my case but I think the only one that would be hard to find or get to for others would be the rear passenger which is one of the bigger ones. The three nuts that hold it in place was easy to get to but loosening the hose was a pain because it was a pretty tight place.

Heres a couple pictures I took with my iPhone, lighting is kind of bad but I hope it can help with locating it. Its located right above the exhaust pipe where it bends into the muffler. Again, this is on the passenger side. I left my exhaust on because my mufflers are deleted so it was really easy for me to remove with all that room but for others, you would have to unbolt and remove your exhaust.

The little shine on the black sphere is the accumulator.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:46 AM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Good Job!

Were any of them screwed on really really tight?

In my case, the one on the passenger front side Accumulator was on really tight.. It must have been 60NM or more before it loosened...

From the first owner's FJ Invoices, I noticed my CL had one replaced early in it's lifetime, they really jammed the replacement on there..

Removing the exhaust wasn't too bad, you just have to remove the bolts, and the middle brace bolts and let it hang... then you can remove the Accumulator in the back passenger side.

Did you bleed all the bleed points? There is a bleed for each accumulator.. I let mine drain over night to get all the old ABC fluid out.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
Originally Posted by NRL
Good Job!

Were any of them screwed on really really tight?

In my case, the one on the passenger front side Accumulator was on really tight.. It must have been 60NM or more before it loosened...

From the first owner's FJ Invoices, I noticed my CL had one replaced early in it's lifetime, they really jammed the replacement on there..

Removing the exhaust wasn't too bad, you just have to remove the bolts, and the middle brace bolts and let it hang... then you can remove the Accumulator in the back passenger side.

Did you bleed all the bleed points? There is a bleed for each accumulator.. I let mine drain over night to get all the old ABC fluid out.
If I had to say which one was on the tightest, Id say it would be the front passenger one as well but it was probably one of the easiest to replace. The fluid that came out the accumulators was really dark, almost black... The car drives like new now and I don't have that annoying red warning flash on my dash anymore. If anyone is having this problem and you don't mind getting your hands dirty, I suggest you DIY, really job.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-pointed star
Originally Posted by JPhamily
Instead of replacing all four, is there anyway to check which one is ruptured by twisting it off?
with the car off, push down on the four corners of the car, there should be no play at all, if there is then it needs replacing along with an ABC fluid/flush done including rodeo.