CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Food for thought, CL550 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 amg
Food for thought, CL550 purchase

I thought I post a bit about purchasing a CL550. I have a 2004 CL500 fully loaded including Distronic! LOVE the car, everything works and it rides like new. Did my homework when I got it and knew what to look for.

One thing I want to mention. I'm actually from Germany and was working in the MB R&D department in Stuttgart for 14 years in the 80'-90'... well my whole family did/does. So I get the first hand info and not the dealership POV if something is wrong. If one of my Uncles don't know, they know who to call.

Anyway, I had my eye always on a CL550, black metallic with black and white interior. They become available now at an affordable price point. I know whats wrong withe the car (crank sensor, cam sensor, cam solenoids, transmission, torque converter, seat heater/cooling.. and so on). So I know what to look for and what to replace, no matter what, right away.

I read about folks complaining, classaction lawsuit and all.

Here is my take on all that and I'm NOT an MB fanboy, I actually had a X5 for 9 years and loved it to death, and the Bentely and Maserati.

If you pickup a CL550 with 90K miles for $28K in ok condition (including Nightvision!!!), make sure you understand that you MUST:

Replace all the sensors right away (Crank, Cam)
Cam Solenoids
New Sparkplugs and maybe coils
Oil and filter change (by a pro not the lube guys around the corner)
Cabin Carbon Filters
Eng Air filter (K&N)
Heater Valve under the windshield wiper (Made from plastic and the little servo dies because of water)

Now the 722 Transmission. It's not a piece of s@#$. It's the previous owner who did not maintain it who is. So if you testdrive it make sure it shifts proper. Make sure you drive it long enough so the oil gets up to temp. Drive to an independent and have them pull a sample of the fluid. If it is clear and amber, you are fine. If it's an orange emulsion.... run for the hills.

If you buy the car, have an independent flush the trans and replace the fluid, not matter what everyone says. Do this ever 30-40k.

The next thing that may fail is the torque converter... like in my case.

Pending how good your service place is it can cost up tooooo:

$1500 at the very knowledgeable independent shop I use. This guy knew within 2 minutes that the converter is bad just by driving. After he hooked the star system to the car and turned off the converter clutch, the car drives like new. It was like talking to my Uncle in Stuttgart.

$2500 just for a new converter at the "Other" independent who told me that I need a replacement trans and torque converter for $5000k

$7500 for a new converter including a trans at the shop that did not even had a star system

$15000 at the Factory dealership.

So, I'm doing all of this right now and will have stolen a CL550 in perfect working condition and almost perfect cosmetic condition for about $30k.

You are NOT buying a new car, but if you follow the above you will have a lot
of car for a long time if you keep up maintaining it proper. From now on it
will be actually not that expensive.

Cheers.

Enjoy, it's a great Car
Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
Who's paying $28K? I have seen them as low as $17K.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
what a load of BS. There is absolutely no need to replace the CPS or cam sensors/magnets unless they are bad.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 AM

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what a load of BS. There is absolutely no need to replace the CPS or cam sensors/magnets unless they are bad.
They went bad on my SL55 AMG, they went bad on my GL450, they actually went bad on my CL500. When I see on on the side of the road stalled with yours gone bad... at midnight... i'll wave.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I've driven 113 and 273 powered cars for nearly 80,000 miles, without failure.

They typically present warning signs before they die completely.

I'll take my chances.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 PM

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I've driven 113 and 273 powered cars for nearly 80,000 miles, without failure.

They typically present warning signs before they die completely.

I'll take my chances.
Some prefer to drive around with a damocles sword hanging over their head, some a willing to spend preventively a couple hundreds dollars to drive around with peace in mind

You'll find those sensors on an M119 made with a metal casing and the Cam solenoids made completely out a metal, they almost never failed.

All of the current once (even the solenoids) are made out of Acetals (a rigid, strong thermoplastic) that absorbs minimal amount of moisture over time.... which makes them fail rather later then sooner. It's an engineered lifespan that will make new car buyers get the next model and pass the one (starts failing after the warranty expired) on to the used car marked.

Check up on the biodegradable engine harness on an w140 as an example.

Just saying... good speed!
Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by hansuhlig
Some prefer to drive around with a damocles sword hanging over their head, some a willing to spend preventively a couple hundreds dollars to drive around with peace in mind

All of the current once (even the solenoids) are made out of Acetals (a rigid, strong thermoplastic) that absorbs minimal amount of moisture over time.... which makes them fail rather later then sooner. It's an engineered lifespan that will make new car buyers get the next model and pass the one (starts failing after the warranty expired) on to the used car marked.
Little dramatic there. In most cases, letting the car cool down with a bad cps will allow you to restart. If not, you got AAA.

bad magnets on the cam sensors is a check engine light, nothing more.

like I said, do what you like, but recommending preventative replacement of several hundred dollars worth of sensors seems like a waste of time and money.