CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Vavle Cover gaskets, Spark Plugs, Plug Wires (pictures)

Old 05-21-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
Vavle Cover gaskets, Spark Plugs, Plug Wires (pictures)

Hey guys, just got done doing my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and wires. I followed all the steps from a fellow member on here. Here is the link, https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...g-wires-2.html
His diy is pretty straight forward but there are some things I just wanted to add which will be below. I would say that it was pretty easy, only thing I ran into was snapping a bolt from the top vent chamber on the vavle cover. Its suggested that you change them out to knew bolts.

I suggest getting oem gaskets from the dealership. Went with Bosch wires and Ngk plugs.

This was how dirty my valve covers were...

And it gets worse with the coils off..

I suggest putting some towels over so nothing falls in.

Here are the vavle covers off the car.

And here they after cleaning them. I cleaned them by spraying them down with engine degreaser that you can get at your local auto store. I also suggest getting a brass wire brush for scrubbing all the gunk off and also to get all the old silicone off from the vent chambers. Let the degreaser sit and do its work then scrub and wash them down with water and let dry. After they are dry, use grey rtv and put back the vent chambers with new screws

On to the plugs and wires.. Here is what I wanted to add for those who want to do this on their own. A lot of threads don't explain and show how to put the wires back in the correct order so I snapped some pictures to show how simple it is.

The Valve cover will have letters on them. A and B for the order of the wires for which cylinder they go in and there will also be A and B on the coils. Any other letters like G K H or L would be the different lengths of wires, so you basically just match everything up. Make sure you hear/feel that snap when putting the wire back on the spark plugs. Simple as that...

Comparison from the old and new plugs.

Comparison from the old and new screws for the vent chamber. highly recommend getting new ones because the old ones will snap on you. The new ones are a lot stronger, the dealer has them for $5 each and you will need a total of five.

One last thing I wanted to add is to make sure you connect the purge line back into the superchager which is on the driver side. I drove around for a week with a bad idle and couldn't find out why until I looked it up and found the reason on a thread from a fellow member. The purge hose starts out as a rubber hose then connects to a steal line which connects to the supercharger and the reason why it comes off is because you have to remove the bracket that holds it which is bolted down on the corner of the valve cover so make sure you plug it back in! Hope this helps for those who will attempt this job!

Last edited by JPhamily; 05-22-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
thanks for the write up. how long did this take you?
Old 05-22-2015, 10:46 PM

Mercedes CL55
Originally Posted by biker349
thanks for the write up. how long did this take you?
I spread the work out thru two days. I took off the covers and cleaned them, put on the rtv one day and let them dry for 24 hours. After drying over night, I put everything back together. I say the job shouldn't take no longer than 3-4 hours.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Nice Job Man. A must do!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
How many miles on the plugs?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Very nice writeup. Thanks alot.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by BlownV8
How many miles on the plugs?
Good question. Kind of ogglee.

What did you think of the Bosch wires versus the MB? I noticed an update on the Bosch wires recently. Use any dielectric grease? Your wire coding tip is a good one. Did you use that spark plug wire tool?

How many miles on the car? Had that service ever been done before?

Nice write up and good picks/pics.

Last edited by grane; 06-03-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 AM

Mercedes CL55
Originally Posted by grane
Good question. Kind of ogglee.

What did you think of the Bosch wires versus the MB? I noticed an update on the Bosch wires recently. Use any dielectric grease? Your wire coding tip is a good one. Did you use that spark plug wire tool?

How many miles on the car? Had that service ever been done before?

Nice write up and good picks/pics.
The car is at 161k right now, I got the car at 113k. Should've done them around 150k.. I don't think they have been done before, well not that I can tell. Maybe the plugs have, not too sure. As for the plugs, the car does drive smoother but its not that big of a difference and for the tool, I just used a regular wrench to pry them off. Didn't use any dielectirc grease, was I suppose too?
Old 06-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Dielectric grease will make it easier to remove the boots in the future, keep the boots more supple as well as providing corrosion resistance and help avoid voltage leaks.