CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2006 CLS55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
2006 CLS55 AMG

Hey All,

I was out for dinner last night with the wife, and on our way back, there was a white mustang GT 5.0 tailing me, he was looking for some quick fun, so I entertained the idea. He got beside me, and we both hammered it, his car was manual, mine of course automatic, we went from about 80-90km/h up to about 200km/h. he initially got a jump on me while my car found 2nd gear (sport mode) and after that, he continued to pull and probably left me a car length behind.

His car didn't sound stock, wont go as far as saying he had a turbo/blower setup, I didnt hear any screams or whistling. But his exhaust sounded really raunchy (in a good way). I did do a couple quick pulls prior to having this little episode, but nothing more than a 70km/h to 120-130km/h run.

I know the mustangs have approx 420hp and just shy of 400ft.lbs and I'm sure a tonne less weight compared to my CLS55 saloon.

I've read up on a forum where another guy got "toasted" by a 'stang but his cooling system actually had a problem. I read the 3 page thread, he confirmed his pump was toast, but didnt report back to the thread saying "hey I installed it and I'm now toasting that 'stang"

I would like to assume that our cars can out run even a lightly modded Mustang GT 5.0 (complete exhaust, tune?, intake etc). I was very upset last night that I was out run by that mustang. I need to "cure" this issue.

Is there any way to find out aside from just swapping the pump out? I'd rather not buy the pump and find out its the exact same issue. I'd rather spend the money where its needed.

thanks,
Pete.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Our cars will toast that 5.0 if its somewhat stock. I beat my friend's 5.0 in a heart beat BUT he slapped on tune and exhaust and he barely beat me. They are no joke if all bolt-on are on there.

CLS >>>>>> Mustang anyday in looks though
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG
Thanks for the reply man.

Again, I cant specify whether or not he was tuned or had bolt ons etc. but I do know that he had exhaust work done, it was nice and loud. he was barely pulling on me, but enough to know that I was losing... at the very least, I was not happy with the results.

everything points towards this cooling pump issue. Ive heard things like the pumps make no difference between each other as long as they're functioning, and then I've heard things like "OMG my car feels like it woke up, and a 1st to 2nd shift squawks the wheels." i can definitely tell you my car does not squawk in that shift.

Am i heading in the right direction to remedy this issue? or should I just opt for the whole cooling upgrade kit that Eurocharged has? (new pump and front heater exchanger).

what do you guys think? it's not that I have money to blow, I just don't like knowing that I bought this car as a very powerful sports sedan (or so I thought) and I'm going to get out run by a mustang. no offence to mustang owners, but hell, a 5.0 GT has what, 420hp and 380 or 390 ftlbs.. we're up 50hp and 120ftlbs of torque... 600 lbs difference in weight (we're heavier) but that torque should eat it up really good.