CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Anyone else racing Labor Day weekend?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Anyone else racing Labor Day weekend?

Heading for the track, but not sure how it will go since the forecast is calling for warm weather and rain all weekend .

Hoping to run at least .016 faster than last year if we actually get to run.
Shame I didn't race last weekend, weather was clear dry and cold. I saw a DA of -1,900 ft at one point. I think I could coax a 10.6 out of my big girl in that air.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speedriven CL600 V12TT
I want to. I took another scan over Kamil's old build thread today and it made me feel bad that I've never gotten a chance to take it down to the strip. This might be the last time this year. If the ABC would stop pissing all over my garage floor I intend on mounting the CLK lightweights that Kamil never got around to. 25 inch spacers and 255/50 r16 Hoosiers or MT's en route.

It honestly makes me feel like **** to know Kamil spent so much time perfecting his runs, and all I do is dick around with wheels and grilles. Lets get a first Minnesota timeslip, no matter how slow!

Last edited by RoadHazard; 09-02-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Heading for the track, but not sure how it will go since the forecast is calling for warm weather and rain all weekend .

Hoping to run at least .016 faster than last year if we actually get to run.
Shame I didn't race last weekend, weather was clear dry and cold. I saw a DA of -1,900 ft at one point. I think I could coax a 10.6 out of my big girl in that air.
I hope you have some race gas in your future. Try hot lapping it, my PB 1/4 and mile were both hot lapped, I don't know what it is, but the best times and speeds were obtained that way. Good luck with the white whale!! LOL
Old 09-03-2015, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Plan to run straight 109 this weekend. Hope to keep IAT's under 100*. I'll. Let you know how it goes.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
My previous times to beat. Thanks to RaceHorse's advice on launching I have already gotten my 60' down to a 1.59 on pump gas. Hoping a 1.58 or lower on 109 which should get me down to a 10.72 or maybe even a .71. Really want a 10.6x but it may not happen without the Killer Chiller, especially with the high DA forecast this weekend.

Anyone else racing Labor Day weekend?-image_zpsc5b6ae68.jpg
Old 09-06-2015, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Hey just bench racing numbers off your 10.74 pass, dropping your 60 ft. to a 1.58 could get you a 10.6x with all the stars aligned. Hope you do it, it may be the push I need to get a better run out of my car with the extra mods. Good luck, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Well, the stars did not align this weekend so did not get a 10.6....

No a bad weekend overall. I set a new PB of 10.73, no problems with the car, took second place in King Of The Street on Saturday and won $160. The guy who beat me has a box, trans brake, leaving off a two step, has not been a street car for decades. I took second place Sunday in the Trophy class, and ran more passes than I ever have in a single weekend. We didn't get rained out, had a great time, etc. so really not a badge eked of racing.

The things the didn't go as planned.

When I went to load the 109 tune and opened up my laptop bag to it held my old computer which randomly blue-screens. I didn't want to take a chance reflashing the car with that laptop so I ran the normal pump gas tune Saturday and half of Sunday. Did the reflash once my new computer got to the track and apparently that took it out of Dyno mode so I wasted the next two passes trying to figure out why it wouldn't heat up the tires. By then the best air for the weekend was long gone.

I was never able to launch the car really hard without spinning. May have something to do with the fact that by Monday night there were cords showing on my tires. I've done 1.59 60' time on 90 octane so I know on the race tune and fuel I can do better, but apparently not on worn out drag radials. Best this weekend was a 1.60 stalling up to about 1,500 RPM and rolling into the throttle fast. Every time I'd stall up higher and smack it I just blew the tires off.

By Monday I was getting low on fuel from making more passes than normal on a weekend. I had already bought the last 109 in Alaska for this weekend so no chance to buy more fuel, good thing I lost early in eliminations Monday.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Well don't be bummed out it sounds like you had a great time and the tires become part of the blame. From what you were saying a few days ago it didn't seem as if you were going to have any negative DA to help matters. A 10.73 is still great, Congrats!!! Thanks for the write up, I have worn drag radials, and if I'm gonna do it I'll have to do it right... decisions, decisions. First comes the line lock.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Yeah, it was actually a great weekend and I had a blast. When racing ends we bust out the grill, beer, and fire pit most nights. My wife and I stay at the track in our 5th wheel all weekend. Saturday night we wound up partying until 3:00 AM. It was good that it was rainy Sunday morning so the racing started 2 hours late that day which let me sleep in until 10:00, LOL.

I still have to decide what I want to do to get a 10.6 out of the car. I have time to plan for it now since our track is now closed for winter.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
I still have to decide what I want to do to get a 10.6 out of the car. I have time to plan for it now since our track is now closed for winter.
I definitely have a few ideas. Still have everything as I refuse to separate the package

Glad you and your wife enjoy these trips together. Thats half the battle won right there.