CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

My CL55k Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Ignorance???

Ventilated brakes are usually handed left and right, so that the spiral pattern of the internal vanes rotates in such a way as to throw the air outwards centrifugally. They are different parts; there's a left hand disc and a right hand disc.

Looking from the outsides, the right hand disc rotates clockwise when going forwards, so the vanes trail backwards at the top. The left hand disc normally rotates counter-clockwise, so the vanes need to trail the opposite way. Where there are drilled holes, these usually follow the pattern of the vanes.

Some aftermarket parts only have one type of disc that fits both left and right, so the vanes will go the wrong way on one wheel or another.

On your brake picture, which I assume is the right hand side, the vanes appear to be going backwards. However, they're going a different direction to the slots, though I'm not sure what the significance of that is. So I was just wondering if you had handed discs, and did you have them the wrong way round - swapped over left and right?

Nick
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215 CL55k Weistec & Jag X-Type
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Ignorance???

Ventilated brakes are usually handed left and right, so that the spiral pattern of the internal vanes rotates in such a way as to throw the air outwards centrifugally. They are different parts; there's a left hand disc and a right hand disc.

Looking from the outsides, the right hand disc rotates clockwise when going forwards, so the vanes trail backwards at the top. The left hand disc normally rotates counter-clockwise, so the vanes need to trail the opposite way. Where there are drilled holes, these usually follow the pattern of the vanes.

Some aftermarket parts only have one type of disc that fits both left and right, so the vanes will go the wrong way on one wheel or another.

On your brake picture, which I assume is the right hand side, the vanes appear to be going backwards. However, they're going a different direction to the slots, though I'm not sure what the significance of that is. So I was just wondering if you had handed discs, and did you have them the wrong way round - swapped over left and right?

Nick

Hi Nick,

I assumed that was what you were referring to.

Going to double check that and get the shop to swap the about if need be, the calipers are off for refurb/paint just now so it's a quick swap for them if they have them on backwards.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
I think the stock ones are the same, so one will always be backwards.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 PM

Sorry it's been a while but there have been a few delays with parts being sent out for paint and waiting on other parts arriving but there should be some work going on over the next few days, she's relatively close.

Any how, from the last time, I can confirm the brakes are on correctly. MB pads are being reused, the backs are installed but the front needs another new pair as the MB dealer just hammered them in the last time. Quality workmanship right there to justify £110+ per hour...

Ice tank has been plumbed so it's just the air intake system that needs finishing up and then a service and MoT/Inspection.

I do have something to show though, my refurbished calipers. Let me just say photos do not do these justice. The quality of the paint is just amazing, literally as good as the finish on the bodywork - well probably better! lol Also all the hardware (brackets etc) on the calipers was removed, cleaned and nickel plated so they look like brand new calipers. Really delighted with them.

From a distance, the yellow calipers just pop out at you and once the wheels are installed, the chrome is deleted it will look absolutely incredible.

The valve covers and a couple of other parts are being painted on the engine so that should be visible through the bonnet vents too.

Fronts:

Rears:

Aside from paying the next invoice I can't wait to get her back!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:13 AM

Literally can not believe it has been a month since my last update and this one doesn't involve the car directly!

The shop sourced two 200cell CATS (11" IIRC) to be located where the secondaries normally go and will rehook all the O2 sensors up for full ECU monitoring.

Haven't had time to pop in at all due to work and unfortunately likely won't until it is completed. Tried to go along Friday but they were shut with Easter holidays so today was the only other day I have free for a while.

The valve covers and a few other parts have been sent off for painting so they should look great through the vents in the hood when closed - painted to match the calipers.

Also ordered DEI Reflect-A-Gold wrap for the air intake pipe they are working on for a little bit of bling. lol

Had my Eurotech order arrive though, front splitter and rear diffuser - WOW. These will look absolutely amazing on the car and finish it off cosmetcially imo. Can't wait to get these installed on the car as the finishing touch.

So sadly that is all for now, the next update will likely be the grand reveal.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
Great work and attention to detail.

You should join MBClub UK Forum quite a few CL's on there.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Hi There,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually on MBClub UK but will only post up there once the car's completed hence keeping the build log here where there more CLs and guys to watch progress.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been out constantly with work so haven't had much of a chance to drop into the shop for a peek or a chap.

Have a few little jobs to do Friday morning so will be popping along to the shop on Friday for a quick catch up - hoping the end is near!!!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Popped along to the shop today, had a bit of an issue with the painting of the engine bay covers/accessories. The powdercoating company returned them in what can only be described as hi-vis yellow, thankfully the onwer of the shop contacted them and had them redone in a colour much truer to the calipers and I must say - they look great.

Only saw them on the floor as they just got them back.

They are back on the car next week to refit the engine trims, install the air filter and custom air intake pipe (to be wrapped in the DEI Reflect-A-Gold), install the two sport CATs, and give the car a service - oil, new cooler plugs, ABC, brake fluid etc...

Should have an update with photos for you Thursday or Friday, didn't want to just post up some pics of parts laying on the floor lol

Thanks again to everyone for the interest in the build.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2006 CL55 AMG
Martin, you've an incredible CL55 AMG build. I've an 06 CL55 AMG with EC blower pulley, belt wrap, K&N drop-in air filters, EC tune, Kleeman shorty headers to stock primary cats, deleted secondary cats, stock resonators and mufflers, lowering links. Did you retain the primary cats and placed 200 cell cats in place of the stock secondary cats?
The following users liked this post:
martinp (04-20-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Hi there,

Sounds like a nice little mod list too, sure it sounds epic also deleting the resonators and fitting headers makes a huge difference!

My car was fully decatted, Kleemann headers > striaght pipe work > Eisenmann Sport back boxes. The smell was just too much so I decided to refit CATS.

The new 200 cell CATS will be going in place of the secondaries. Should be installed this week (hopefully) so I'll get some pics.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:57 PM

Okay doke, here it is, the 'almost' completed article.

Engine bay is fully assembled, 2 sport CATS fitted, all plumbing, wiring done and dusted it is now just a service (ABC, engine, tranmission and brake fluid changes) then a inspection and off to the rolling road for dyno tuning.

New wheels and tyres will also be test fitted to make sure 295s don't rub in the back with my suspension setup, lowering module can be adjusted to suit etc.

I'm so happy with the out come of the car, the guys really did raise the bar on this. A lot of parts that should be in there and so well installed it looks like it came from the factory like that (well minus the mad air filter!!)

As the car will be trailered to the dyno session, the CF parts and new wheels will be fitted afterwards to avoid any potential damage during transport etc, but that's just cosmetics.

Comments welcome as always.
Mercedes22 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cl55 - G55 - RRVogue Arden
Hey martinp

Amazing job good taste and if it wasnt for you i would have given up on my cl55.

Keep it up ur my main source on motivation.
martinp (04-20-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Wheels fitted and all good for clearance. Tail lights also tinted and refitted, just got a nice subtle tint to take the edge of the red.

Headlights and foglights will be tinted later on. Chrome trim is being vynal'd next week then it's off for a remap!

Absolutely delighted with the outcome.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:42 PM

AMG SL55
Hi there,

Epic CL you have there.

Quick question. The rocker/cam covers on your engine are yellow. Is that powder coat and if so I presume you disassembled the covers - if so what is the black sealant you use when reassembling them after coating.

Thanks in advance.
martinp (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:17 PM

Hi cb,

Thanks for your kind words, means a lot.

Yeah, I had the shop remove them for powder-coating along with the other yellow bits under there. I'm not 100% on what sealant they used but I would assume something along the lines or RVT silcone sealant?

I'll ask for you the next time I go along to confirm.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Great jooob Martin,

Yellow calipers loooooooks soo Awesome,,

i think you do your calipers in U.K. isn't..??

ZAYED,,
Old 04-30-2016, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
You would need Loctite 5970 or 5980 RTV sealant. There's an MB part number for it.

Nick
Old 05-01-2016, 02:54 PM

AMG SL55
Originally Posted by martinp
Hi cb,

Thanks for your kind words, means a lot.

Yeah, I had the shop remove them for powder-coating along with the other yellow bits under there. I'm not 100% on what sealant they used but I would assume something along the lines or RVT silcone sealant?

I'll ask for you the next time I go along to confirm.
Thanks, as I want to do the same to mine and have been trying to find what I need sealant wise.

Really liking the look of your CL, I like them anyway, but always think they needed to be made to look a bit more 'bada55' for want of a better expression as they would really suit it and yours looks just the way I imagined.

Originally Posted by Welwynnick
You would need Loctite 5970 or 5980 RTV sealant. There's an MB part number for it.

Nick
Thanks Nick, will have another ask at the dealer as the last time they claimed to not have a clue what I was talking about.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
The MB part no is A003989982010, but use as little as possible. Lots of well-informed people caution against its use, as bits come loose and clog oil passages.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...er-gasket.html

Kent Bergsma at mercedessource is a very smart and experienced guy:

https://mercedessource.com/problems/...sket-adhesives

Nick
cb1965 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:22 AM

AMG SL55
Thanks Nick, much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Chrome gone.

Will either plasti-dip or get the MB badges professionally painted gloss black - stick out like a sore thumb. lol
Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 LWB ( W221 ) - CL63 Biturbo ( W216 ) CL 55 Kompressor ( W215 Sold ) C43 AMG ( W202 Sold )
Great attention to detail. I'm not a great fan of the black look, however what you have achieved is first class. The wheels really suite the CL, not many non AMG wheels doo, I have the AMG 1V Two Piece ( ex 65 wheels ).

I noticed you are a member of the MBClub UK Forum, there are quite a few 55 Kompressor's on there and would be very interested with your modifications.

I had a Eurocharged Map and S/C Pulley + a Quaife LSD, modest in comparison to your mods, which suits me.

I know you are in Scotland, which is a shame as there is a 75 car 9 All + GTG Benz on the Green organised by PCS a Form Trader. My Forum name on there is C43AMG
Old 07-29-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Sad end to this story...the car has now been sold cheap having thrown piston rings during a dyno session
Old 07-29-2016, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 S600
Very sad to hear this; it was a real labour of love.

Nick
Old 01-31-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 CL55, 2003 SL55 and 2009 G55
Originally Posted by martinp
Quick update.

Today one of the big parts of the build arrived, the new heat exchanger. Custom made piece by Pace Products in the UK designed to fit the CL. This thing is a beast compared to the usual 'upgraded HE' available to these cars. Should keep those IATs right down...

I am interested if the stock radiator was actually replaced along with HE. In the picture the end caps are still in place where the stock air tubes attach? Very interested as I am in need to replace my Rad soon. Thanks Mick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My CL55k Build