CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Considering buying a 02 CL55, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
Considering buying a 02 CL55, Need some advice

So i'm considering buying a 02 CL55, I've always wanted one of these cars and I found one locally thats a pretty good deal and I could trade a truck I have for it.

Its a 2002 CL55 with 139k miles, it's gold which i'm not really the biggest fan of but seems to be in decent condition from the pictures.

Carfax shows 5 owners, first 3 owners were in New York, but it looks like it was religiously serviced at the MB dealer during that time (until 60k miles in 07)

Then it came down south, on the carfax I can see where at 91k miles (2010) it had the blower motor and valve body replaced, also says "suspension checked", at 101k miles it had the "PCV system checked" and spark plugs replaced (maybe coils as well? It wouldn't distinguish between the two I don't think). Also last year at 122k miles I see "Gearshift indicator adjusted" which I believe is a common issue with these.

The owner who has it now has had it for a year, just replaced the MAF sensor, he told me that every now and then the ABC light comes on in white but goes away and sometimes the raise/lower button on the dash does not work. The audio system is also not making any sound and he said he believes the amp has gone bad. Also told me the door locks and rear headrests don't work but he hears a click when he pushes the button.

I understand a facelifted car is a much more appealing, and that the ABC system is going to be a source of constant nightmares no matter what. I just want everyones opinion on what the major issues of the prefacelifts are and what you guys would do? I'd be getting the car under 5 and I know a fair amount about these cars, as well as how to work on them and I have resources with indy shops.

Its just the car is *just* far enough away for me to not want to drive all the way to check it out if the pre facelifts are really that bad.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
02 cl55, my first cl and it was an awesome ride for 2yrs with no issues(10yrs ago).140,000mi sounds like you will putting into it what you paid for it really quick. If abc light is coming on and suspension isn't working properly, imo it's going to be a nightmare. And who knows what else is wrong with it???
Old 04-19-2016, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Daniel Robinson
So i'm considering buying a 02 CL55, I've always wanted one of these cars and I found one locally thats a pretty good deal and I could trade a truck I have for it.

Its a 2002 CL55 with 139k miles, it's gold which i'm not really the biggest fan of but seems to be in decent condition from the pictures.

Carfax shows 5 owners, first 3 owners were in New York, but it looks like it was religiously serviced at the MB dealer during that time (until 60k miles in 07)

Then it came down south, on the carfax I can see where at 91k miles (2010) it had the blower motor and valve body replaced, also says "suspension checked", at 101k miles it had the "PCV system checked" and spark plugs replaced (maybe coils as well? It wouldn't distinguish between the two I don't think). Also last year at 122k miles I see "Gearshift indicator adjusted" which I believe is a common issue with these.

The owner who has it now has had it for a year, just replaced the MAF sensor, he told me that every now and then the ABC light comes on in white but goes away and sometimes the raise/lower button on the dash does not work. The audio system is also not making any sound and he said he believes the amp has gone bad. Also told me the door locks and rear headrests don't work but he hears a click when he pushes the button.

I understand a facelifted car is a much more appealing, and that the ABC system is going to be a source of constant nightmares no matter what. I just want everyones opinion on what the major issues of the prefacelifts are and what you guys would do? I'd be getting the car under 5 and I know a fair amount about these cars, as well as how to work on them and I have resources with indy shops.

Its just the car is *just* far enough away for me to not want to drive all the way to check it out if the pre facelifts are really that bad.
Run. Run as far away and as fast as you can from it.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If a CL doesn't have, at least, 600 HP, it's not worth the aggravation or expense.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlownV8:
Dr Matt (04-19-2016), martinp (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Originally Posted by BlownV8
If a CL doesn't have, at least, 600 HP, it's not worth the aggravation or expense.
Adding that quote to my signature.

They are awesome cars, but I'd never drive a 12 second car that took this much works and money to maintain. With incredible performance you expect high, expensive maintenance.

There's an old saying that goes: "Cheap, fast, or reliable. You can only have two."

Or in the case of a CL only one, LOL.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dr Matt
:
There's an old saying that goes: "Cheap, fast, or reliable. You can only have two."

Or in the case of a CL only one, LOL.
With the CL, you can eliminate cheap and reliable so the only thing left is fast. If it is not fast, it is not worth having.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215 CL55k Weistec & Jag X-Type
Echo what others have said, also the interior on the facelift is so much more modern. Dash switches on the 00-03 look like they came from the 80s.

ABC actually isn't that unreliable, you just need to look after it. If a problem occurs, get it fixed. Leaving the problem only makes it much worse and more expensive.

If I left mine stock, the only things I'd be buying would be tyres and general servicing. Modified though, it is a downward spiral. lol
Old 04-20-2016, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, the only real recurring issue I ever had was with the ABC suspension. It was never ever a fact of not handling it. The hoses were busting far too often. They would be fine the month before and just go pop. When a hose would bust the pump would be destroyed and those tiny metal particles from the pump imploding would get dispersed through the system which would cause further issues. It was a real expensive pain that just dominoed after the first hose blew. I threw more money at the car than any other car that I've ever owned.

The best thing to do is to replace all the hoses around 60k miles with new ones or.just take the ABC off the car. My CL would have been much more affordable to own after the warranty expired if it didn't have ABC. When I owned the CL, there were no other options. Now there are options.

As soon as there is a good kit available and my warranty runs out on my SL, the ABC is.going in the trash. The only things it does.well is it gives the car very flat cornering and can help a bit on moderately bumpy roads. It's not the best suspension if you like to feel the road since it gives you artificial handling feedback.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
I've had no issues with mine related to modding or racing other than tire and brake wear, which is to be expected. All the stuff I'd had to do with the exception of a coil would have also gone wrong with a stock CL500.

Passenger seat occupancy sensor
SRS control module
drivers door wiring
2 HPE hose failures, replaced all the pulsation dampners when I replace 6 hoses as preventative maintenance
trans harness seal
idler pulley
leaky washer tank seals

Seems like a lot for an 11 year old car that had 41K miles on it when I bought it, and in 2.5 years I've put an additional 15K miles and about 100 track passes.

But it doesn't seem like a lot of repairs compared to other 200+mph 10 second car year round daily driven in a harsh climate like Alaska. As for the low miles I've driven it, well my office is only 5 miles from home, my wife works with me, and I own 2 other vehicles I drive occasionally as well.

Last edited by Dr Matt; 04-20-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
Daniel,
I researched the W215 for 9 months before I pulled the trigger and bought one. Many times I would push myself away from the computer whispering hell fkn no. But the beauty of the car kept sucking back in to do more research. I'm a do it yourselfer and have an Indy mechanic for things I don't want to do. I bought an 05 Cl55 with 76k miles on it. Eighteen months later it now has 123k miles on it. I've driven it all over the Midwest and southeastern United States. Have I had some issues with it? Of course, but it was nothing I couldn't handle. The 70-80k mile range is when a lot of work comes do and also the reason you see so many for sale in that mileage range. Ive replaced all the accumulators, an ABC line. I've had both valve blocks rebuilt. Ball joints and lower control arms. Have flushed the ABC system twice. Flex disks on the driveshaft and the supercharger pulley bearing. I did all that myself. Things I didn't do were the engine mounts and the complete tune up because I was out from a shoulder surgery. My biggest complaint with the car is how fast it eats rear tires and transmission mounts. Every 10k miles I change the oil and put two new tires on the rear. One thing I've learned is these cars like to be driven. I love my car and when all is good it gives the best driving experience on top of being one seriously sexy looking *****-fkr.
You have options regarding suspension and don't have to keep the ABC. There are a lot of write ups on the sound system problems for 00-02 CL's. Go drive the car and trust your gut. There are plenty to be had if this one doesn't feel right.
It's not all doom and gloom.