CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

supercharger cooling via washer resevoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I can honestly say that I have no experience with meth but understand the basic principles. When playing with combustion temps and timing considerable amounts of detonation can occur if the meth is misused.
I simply implied that manufacturers particularly European nature utilize the temperature gains from the suction line.
The Expansion valve reads evaporator temps to regulate liquid spray. The suction line is inherent and always will be. The compressor knows and the variable displacement pilot valve will act. The temperature of the suction pipe with full load on an 80^ day will yield 40^, coupled with ice and HE fans will yield goodness.
Eventually conflict can occur when constants change like the climate and race day.
Most Orifice systems are positive displacement with exceptions of Early GM Harrison V5. Positive displacement compressors would work better but the BTU transfer would likely start working after the run is over.

Any way I appreciate your feed back hence we are sharing the same ideas.
Best, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 06-18-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 S600
Originally Posted by GatorMB
I can honestly say that I have no experience with meth but understand the basic principles. When playing with combustion temps and timing considerable amounts of detonation can occur if the meth is misused.
I simply implied that manufacturers particularly European nature utilize the temperature gains from the suction line.
The Expansion valve reads evaporator temps to regulate liquid spray. The suction line is inherent and always will be. The compressor knows and the variable displacement pilot valve will act. The temperature of the suction pipe with full load on an 80^ day will yield 40^, coupled with ice and HE fans will yield goodness.
Eventually conflict can occur when constants change like the climate and race day.
Most Orifice systems are positive displacement with exceptions of Early GM Harrison V5. Positive displacement compressors would work better but the BTU transfer would likely start working after the run is over.

Any way I appreciate your feed back hence we are sharing the same ideas.
Best, Gator
I think you could be referencing the fact that alcohol based fuels are more sensitive to pre-ignition from hot spots than gasoline. It's substantially more resistant to detonation...in fact, it has literally been impossible for me to achieve any detonation on any car I've run it on. Pre-ignition is not an entirely different phenomenon than detonation, but is usually caused by different things, and has a much more damaging effect. It's also extremely rare/unlikely to happen unless something is severely screwed up in the tune (usually very lean AFRs coupled with overly retarded ignition timing...the burn is so slow that it's still burning into the exhaust stroke and the chamber starts out a lot warmer/possibly with essentially glow plugs).

My point on using the suction line as a chiller was that there's just not much BTU capacity there. The temperature of the suction pipe is going to be dependent on the thermal load on the heat exchange portion of that suction pipe. Normally it has very low load (just atmospheric heat-sinking through the hardline bits), resulting in line temps similar to the boiling point of the refrigerant @ the low side pressure...probably around that 40 degrees you are talking about. If you add a heat load to the suction line, the temp of that line is going to rise dramatically, as the amount of refrigerant being released by the expansion valve has not changed and you are adding a tremendous heat load to that suction line which has no real thermal capacity anyway. This will slightly raise the low side pressure, which may well cause the variable displacement compressor to compensate for that but the heat load on the primary evaporator won't have changed so the expansion valve will still be allowing the same amount of refrigerant through and the increased compressor work doesn't help anything. The only way that would work is if the added heat load was before the expansion valve's reference bulb, or much better, if you were adding another expansion valve in parallel on the high side to control this chilling coil as a proper evaporator (more like the killer chiller).