CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Limp mode after stall converter install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Limp mode after stall converter install?

I got my 3000 rpm upd stall converter installed this week and since I've been driving the car i love the way it works.
I've driven it about 200 miles since the install, and ive put it into limp mode 4 times so far.
I've been in limp mode before, but this was before I did my cooling mods and got my ecu tune.
Now, it seems like when I get the car to third it just sticks there sometimes. Not only when I'm being hard on it.. it happened once with only about half throttle.
I've also noticed that when I get the rpms up past 5k they seem to hang if I let off the throttle.
I plan on getting a tcu tune from eurocharged this week.
I know that the ecu and tcu are supposed to take some time to relearn, and the battery did completely die in the three weeks that I had the car on Jacks ( I left the key on)
Just wondering if this is normal or if I should be looking for a culprit.
I'll be to the track in roswelle Friday, hopefully.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Kenny
Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Do you get any warning lights or messages?

Nick
Old 08-15-2016, 09:26 AM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Do you get any warning lights or messages?

Nick
No warning lights or messages, I never got them before in limp mode either. Soon as I turn the key off and back on I'm good. About to drive this car 200 miles right now to pick up this E55 this morning in Albuquerque. I'll see how it does on the drive.
Thanks!
Kenny
Old 08-15-2016, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
If it really went into limp home mode, it's because the ECU decided to do that, based on input data available from the gearbox.

There's not actually very much information available. There's engine speed, vehicle speed, and two internal transmission speed sensors, and the ECU has to figure it out from that.

If it does, it will set or record a code that can be read from a suitable OBD2 reader, and there are LOTS of codes. It may need a specific M<B reader. That would be where to start looking for problems.

Obviously, make sure the oil level is right. That's critical.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
kgoff6 (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 10:08 AM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
I drove the car a couple hundred miles yesterday and it did well, I have been checking fluid regularly, I bought the tool from amazon last week. Very handy.
I got a warning light after I got home yesterday and went to drive the car again. It showed a low battery on the dash and was giving a low voltage message in the radio screen also.
As I said my battery died completely in the 3 weeks I had the car on Jacks because I left the key in when switching to neutral one day.
I will replace battery tomorrow and I'll keep a tender on the leads as I do or so that the ecu won't have to relearn.. not sure if it makes a huge difference,but we'll see, I guess.
Thank you!
Kenny
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Well I figured out what the problem was I think.
I drove the car for another day after replacing the battery and ended up getting the waring lights again. The guy at auto zone said the battery was good and would hold a charge but was just dead.
I spring for a new battery anyway.
Good thing I didn't trade the old one in for the core charge.. I had a feeling.
Anyway, my alternator is junk. This also explains the wine conning from the car, which made me very weary because It only started after I replaced the transmission..
I was crossing my fingers it wasn't the trans making the noise.
All of this crap held me up from going racing this last weekend👎👎
I ordered a new bosch alternator on amazon and it should be here tomorrow, so I should be racing in roswelle friday.. if this rain stops.
Kenny