CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2005 CL65 - Sell or Renew Warranty?

Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes CL65
2005 CL65 - Sell or Renew Warranty?

In short, I have a 2005 CL65 with 38,500-ish miles with all the options except the radar guided cruise and satellite radio. I am debating on whether I should renew the warranty or sell the car since I ended up not driving it as much as I thought.

My question to the group is... what would be a good price to start the sale or since I live in Arizona, should I go as far as get it into Barrett Jackson?

I am the second owner and I purchased it almost three years ago at 34,800-ish miles. The original owner was from Texas where it was garaged and paperwork kept in the book... He was an older guy who bought it new, but he literally had a hangar filled with cars at one point.

Knowing that this car is notorious for high repair bills, before purchasing I made sure that I was able to obtain a warranty. Each place I've brought it to had said they were one of the easiest to deal with, so that made me feel less nervous as I've seen others have problems with aftermarket warranties.

The only thing "wrong" with the car right now is that the original key fob was replaced and the push-button start doesn't recognize it properly.

The original owner wore down the brakes (older guy). I replaced the rotors and brakes with the proper OEM stuff, so they have around 4k miles on them. I also replaced the motor and trans mounts as it was pointed out to me that one of the engine mounts was not looking good.

The warranty replaced a whiny ABC pump as well as the coils, but while I'm not an expert on the CL65, I do believe the first shop I took it to had just wanted to make a few bucks. The issue was crappy fuel, but replacing the coils was appealing to me since I've read about the horror stories.

The absolute total amount of aesthetic blemishes is rather astounding... Only one of my two inspectors caught the light scratch that was less than one inch and that was only into the clear coat. The other blemishes were that the fog lamps were cracked, but still working so I replaced those.

There are no paint chips on the hood or front bumper, nor any chips or BS from the back tires. There is one curb rash on one of the wheels, but I've just been too lazy to have it removed as it isn't large.

Knowing all this... What is my CL65 worth?
If I renew the warranty, would that make it worth a lot more?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 507 Wagon
If I were you I would keep this car

So my answer is : renew the warranty
Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes CL65
Originally Posted by ArmenPhotos
If I were you I would keep this car

So my answer is : renew the warranty
That is definitely on the table, but I am also concerned whether I should roll the dice on if the price of the car will tank in another year or three... LOL.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The car will sell for around 30 grand. Would you be happy with that?

How much time do you have to decide whether you want to renew the warranty or not?

Maybe put it up for sale now, and provide portential buyers with the option to renew the warranty at whatever the cost is to you. Warranty will definitely help move the car. These cars can take forever to sell.

This way at least you can gauge interest and see what people offer you. Might help you make your decision.

What color combo is it?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
List it for $39,000 and see what offers you get. But like another stated I think people will only want to spend $30,000 max for it
Old 11-10-2016, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
What is the cost for the warranty? The parts you replaced were most likely all original parts, I'd consider rolling the dice and keeping it. You may not see the same payout the 2nd time around if big items were repaired. If the car was out of warranty prior to your purchase some items could have been neglected if the owner intended to sell.