CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

CLA 45 AMG New Borg Warner Turbo with ECU problems, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45 AMG
CLA 45 AMG New Borg Warner Turbo with ECU problems, help!

Hello Guys,

Just to give you a true picture I will start with my tunes as a list.
- Weistec Downpipe + Midpipe
- Weistec ECU calibration
- Weistec Anti Surge Valve
- K&N intake filter
- Borg Warner EFR6758 Turbo (very powerful)
- Renntech piggyback stage 6 (running on octane 98) - not connected atm.

My Problem is that my car in is running up to 2.1 bar in turbo boost at 4000 rpm and then the car goes into a failure mode so the boost drops immediately.
I need to get these failure codes to disappear, would it be an option to also connect the piggyback to get an increased limit maybe?
I will try tomorrow but if anyone knows how to solve the failure codes that makes my boost drop at 4000 rpm please help me.

All help is appreciated.

Last edited by Rannestig; 07-22-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Hello Sir,

We have spoken to your technician regarding the issue you are having and we are working with him to get you running well. Your setup is however not typical because you have a turbo upgrade and this is out of the scope of our tuning support at the moment. We are again working with your technician to obtain further data via data-logging so we can properly assist. We hope this helps. Thank you and please email us at Tech@weistec.com if you have questions.

Weistec Engineering
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
To add, the M133 engine/turbo system does not have an internal or recirculating BOV. It is closed off from the factory and our Anti-Surge Valve replaces the closed off flange.

Our Anti-Surge Valve is especially needed when installing a larger turbo. You are putting more pressure on the shaft and bearing support in the turbo when there is compressor surge.

http://weistec.com/media/productfile/file/m/1/m133_asv.pdf

You can scroll to page 5 to have a better understanding of what we are replacing. Thank you.

Weistec Engineering
Old 07-21-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Am I the only shocked by the fact that you are running an ECU flash tune coupled with a piggyback tune??? Throw in a larger turbo that neither tunes are capable of handling and yes things are bound to not run properly and even lead to failure.... Glad you have the guys at Weistec helping you with this.

Not to be negative here but who's brilliant idea was it to hack together this setup...

Last edited by soolman32; 07-22-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:55 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Weistec
Hello Sir,

We have spoken to your technician regarding the issue you are having and we are working with him to get you running well. Your setup is however not typical because you have a turbo upgrade and this is out of the scope of our tuning support at the moment. We are again working with your technician to obtain further data via data-logging so we can properly assist. We hope this helps. Thank you and please email us at Tech@weistec.com if you have questions.

Weistec Engineering

Great, I'll let you guys handle it all.

I'll upload the results when we're done to see the full power in the dyno!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:04 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by A45
I have a RennTec, ArmyTrix Full Exhaust and downpipe, AMS intake and produce 465+ at the wheels with a custom dyno tune on a 2015 GLA45 AMG. The only difference between you and I is the turbo upgrade. The 45 is a monster even with the OEM Turbo and these modifications
The turbo upgrade makes it all. I just ordered the Armytrix as well but the real deal is my new turbo it will make the car go a hell of a lot faster. I have already blown 2x stock turbos and they are not to be rude "****" compared to this.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 AM

A45
A45 - Am I reading this right? You have 465+ WHP (around 520+ at crank) from exhaust, intake and tune on the stock turbo???!!!
Also, I am also struggling to grasp how you guys are running a flash tune with the RENNtech box?!?!

Please advise?
Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Iggy Higgins
A45 - Am I reading this right? You have 465+ WHP (around 520+ at crank) from exhaust, intake and tune on the stock turbo???!!!
Also, I am also struggling to grasp how you guys are running a flash tune with the RENNtech box?!?!

Please advise?
Im not using the Renntech box, I will need to map my original ECU in dyno as I understand to make it all work. I have no idea how he got that much hp on the stock turbo, he must have some adrenalin in his fuel.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
this is an off topic question. on factory turbos the diverter valve port is blocked off, how does the car vent the boost between shift or when off throttle to prevent compressor surge
Old 07-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Rannestig
Hello Guys,

Just to give you a true picture I will start with my tunes as a list.
- Weistec Downpipe + Midpipe
- Weistec ECU calibration
- Weistec Anti Surge Valve
- K&N intake filter
- Borg Warner Turbo (very powerful)
- Renntech piggyback stage 6 (running on octane 98) - not connected atm.

My Problem is that my car in is running up to 2.1 bar in turbo boost at 4000 rpm and then the car goes into a failure mode so the boost drops immediately.
I need to get these failure codes to disappear, would it be an option to also connect the piggyback to get an increased limit maybe?
I will try tomorrow but if anyone knows how to solve the failure codes that makes my boost drop at 4000 rpm please help me.

All help is appreciated.
try to remove the ASV or add a stronger spring on it to hold higher boost pressure.

on the V12 TT we use forge performance ones. they also sell spring for different boost pressure.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
this is an off topic question. on factory turbos the diverter valve port is blocked off, how does the car vent the boost between shift or when off throttle to prevent compressor surge
I think my Weistec Anti Surge Valve is the answer to your question?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

CLA45 AMG
try to remove the ASV or add a stronger spring on it to hold higher boost pressure.

on the V12 TT we use forge performance ones. they also sell spring for different boost pressure.
I think we got the problem, my turbo isn't getting enough air with the stock air intake at 2,5 inch we need to have a wider open air intake.. At least 4 inch I guess!

I'll post the results after Dyno today.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I think we got the problem, my turbo isn't getting enough air with the stock air intake at 2,5 inch we need to have a wider open air intake.. At least 4 inch I guess!

ok with a 4 inch intake you will still hit 2.1 bar and the car will go into limp mode (ECU doesnot know what to do so it will pull timing and add fuel to save the engine)

you may need to put a map clamp or change the ecu map to accept more boost

for test purposes i would put a manual boost controller on the wastegate side and start increasing it a psi at a time over stock

Last edited by shardul; 07-22-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM

CLA45 AMG
ok with a 4 inch intake you will still hit 2.1 bar and the car will go into limp mode (ECU doesnot know what to do so it will pull timing and add fuel to save the engine)

you may need to put a map clamp or change the ecu map to accept more boost
Correct.. I need to make a dyno and map my ECU somewhere.. It was better but it is still going into failure mode.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C220 CDI 2016
Tjena Anton

Daniel på Yamaha center i HBG :-)
Följer ditt bygge då jag har en A45a nu istället för min gamla GT-R. Släng gärna ett pm vem som kör och mappar din bil?

For you guys that didnt understand the above its just that me and Rannestig live in the same town :-). (More or less :-) )

Last edited by Yamdan; 07-22-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 PM

A45 AMG
A45,
Your claimed 465bhp ATW with exhaust, inlet and ECU tune...... what fuel are you running?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM

A45 AMG

If your turbo is not able to consume enough air, it just won't achieve boost targets.... it won't give you an error code.

If you're using a turbo with a bigger compressor wheel AND already pushing 2.1bar of boost, any reason why you need to push for more. Over 2bar of boost is not unsubstantial..... especially for a bigger compressor wheel.

Do you know the flowrate in lb/min of your new turbo?
Old 07-22-2015, 02:27 PM

A45 AMG
Originally Posted by Weistec
Our Anti-Surge Valve is especially needed when installing a larger turbo. You are putting more pressure on the shaft and bearing support in the turbo when there is compressor surge.

That is subjective information imo. Dump valves are not "especially needed" when installing turbos.

Personally, I've done a far bit of work with two of the UK's leading turbo manufacturers, Turbo Dynamics and AET. They both sell plenty of hybrid turbos that can run with or without a dump valve, and suffer no ill effects of running in such a manner.

When a manufacturer will warranty the use of their turbos without one, I'll tend to judge they are not especially needed. There are plenty of people who do this, and whilst I would never state it hasn't happened, I have personally never known of a turbo failure on a hybrid due to compressor surge.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:47 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by shaunee
If your turbo is not able to consume enough air, it just won't achieve boost targets.... it won't give you an error code.

If you're using a turbo with a bigger compressor wheel AND already pushing 2.1bar of boost, any reason why you need to push for more. Over 2bar of boost is not unsubstantial..... especially for a bigger compressor wheel.

Do you know the flowrate in lb/min of your new turbo?
I think you can find your answer if you search on my turbo: Borg Warner EFR6758
My technician told me it an take a 4 bar pressure which is more than my engine will be able to so it's very powerful. With the right dyno maping the curve should be 550-600hp as we could see today when making dyno up to 4000rpm.
We will see shortly when I find the right place that can handle maping into my ECU which is hard to find.

I just bought the Rebellion air intake with 4 inches, it was defanetly needed!

Last edited by Rannestig; 07-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:31 PM

A45 AMG
4bar is well outside of that turbo efficiency range, based on the compressor map.

That turbo has a 53lb wheel. All things being equal that could relate to around 530bhp at the crank. Best of luck getting 550-600, without fuel changes. ;-)

It will be interesting what you do achieve though with this turbo. EFR's appear to be all the rage at the moment.

In my opinion to get the full potential out of that turbo, in respect of it's compressor map / efficiency, you'll need to upgrade your existing cooling.

Good luck.

Last edited by shaunee; 07-22-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:54 PM

CLA45 AMG
4bar is well outside of that turbo efficiency range, based on the compressor map.

That turbo has a 53lb wheel. All things being equal that could relate to around 530bhp at the crank. Best of luck getting 550-600, without fuel changes. ;-)

It will be interesting what you do achieve though with this turbo. EFR's appear to be all the rage at the moment.

In my opinion to get the full potential out of that turbo, in respect of it's compressor map / efficiency, you'll need to upgrade your existing cooling.

Good luck.
It's a guess so far with 550-600 but if we look at the curve up to 4000 rpm before the failure kicks in it actually looks like it. But we will see when it's finished!
I did upgrade the cooling now as well, I just bought the Rebellion front mount intake cooler together with their 4 inch intake air filter.

I will upload my dyno when the car is mapped and ready to show power to 100% :-) wish me luck
Old 07-22-2015, 06:04 PM

A45 AMG
For what it's worth, you'll probably need more than a charge cooler radiator upgrade, to maximise charge temp efficiency when cranking up the boost. Boost and efficiency lower down the rev range is one thing. Increasing and/or maintaining flow rates higher up the rev range is something totally different.

I wish you all the luck Sir! We await your results with baited breath.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM

CLA45 AMG
For what it's worth, you'll probably need more than a charge cooler radiator upgrade, to maximise charge temp efficiency when cranking up the boost. Boost and efficiency lower down the rev range is one thing. Increasing and/or maintaining flow rates higher up the rev range is something totally different.

I wish you all the luck Sir! We await your results with baited breath.
I'm sure you're right but tbh I don't know what more to buy to achieve what you mean. I'm not that high educated when it comes to tuning ;-P

Thank you, I hope for the best!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Weistec
That is the problem with the factory system. There is quite a bit of compressor surge in stock form.

What you are thinking, and the reason why we produce the ASV is because the compressor surge does eventually take a toll on the life of the turbo. This is pretty straight forward turbo talk.

Weistec Engineering
Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 PM

A45 AMG
Weistec,
This argument has been had for years, for and against. Yet no concrete and real world evidence suggests this form of compressor surge fatigues the core or bearings by any measurable amount in general.

Also using a vent to atmosphere DV is not specifically great on a MAF based airflow measure, as the car will effectively run rich/over fuel. Recirc DV's are your friend for MAF metered cars imo, should you want to run a DV.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA 45 AMG New Borg Warner Turbo with ECU problems, help!