CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

GLA45 or CLA45 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204, W220, S15 Silvia
GLA45 or CLA45 ?

I've done every research I can with youtube and forums and I don't see anyone else have the same dilema as me. one particular video the guy prefered the GLA over the CLA
I'm turning 30 and am about to be married so I went in and paid deposit for a GLA45 as it would be a nice car for everyone in the family to drive all round.
THEN I saw the CLA45 which is a sexy saloon coupe like car, fell in love with it.
The sales person can hold the deposit I paid and use it for whichever car I choose.
The only thing holding me back is my family has got all mercedes sedans from C class, E class and S class, never an SUV, so buying another 4 door feels like the same thing all over again.... and GLA might have a more comfortable ride?

But on the other hand the GLA isn't really an SUV, it's really just an A class with higher ride height, more comfortable backseat and extra storage in the trunk

Performance wise I'm happy with either, the GLA has got the edition 1 still available, not too much of a fan to the stickers but 20 inch wheel is nice.

Anyone care to share some light?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM

GLA 45 AMG
I have had the same dillema but for me the very low headroom in the backseat of the CLA and the more comfort ride in the GLA helped me choose the GLA 45 in the end.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:39 PM

Gla 45
GLA = Hatchback baby. Came from an STi hatch very happy with the GLA. And it looks unusual different from boring sleek M-B sedans.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
CLA is common, see them everywhere, like about 10 CLA's for every GLA. And mostly when I see one it's obvious that someone got the absolute cheapest Mercedes mostly just so they could have the MB name. Of course, that could just be a NYC thing.

While the GLA, though not any nicer on the inside, is roomier, is more practical with the rear hatch, and in the AMG45 flavor looks sharp... the real difference is that they won't sell near as many of them, and they won't scream "I'm a poser, I want you to notice my MB, but please don't think notice that it really cost about the same as your Ford Taurus" they way the CLA does.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by nycphotography
CLA is common, see them everywhere, like about 10 CLA's for every GLA. And mostly when I see one it's obvious that someone got the absolute cheapest Mercedes mostly just so they could have the MB name. Of course, that could just be a NYC thing.

While the GLA, though not any nicer on the inside, is roomier, is more practical with the rear hatch, and in the AMG45 flavor looks sharp... the real difference is that they won't sell near as many of them, and they won't scream "I'm a poser, I want you to notice my MB, but please don't think notice that it really cost about the same as your Ford Taurus" they way the CLA does.
CLA45 is still over 50k i don't think it's a poser mb. If you are talking about the cla and gla 250 then yeah maybe.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by jmevox
CLA45 is still over 50k i don't think it's a poser mb. If you are talking about the cla and gla 250 then yeah maybe.
Less than one in a hundred will know a CLA45 from a CLA250. For the other 99+ percent, it will just be a painfully cheap MB.

Actually, that's not quite true. A whole lot of people don't know s*** about cars except it says MB. For them, it will still be a MB.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 PM

2011 WRX
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Less than one in a hundred will know a CLA45 from a CLA250. For the other 99+ percent, it will just be a painfully cheap MB.

Actually, that's not quite true. A whole lot of people don't know s*** about cars except it says MB. For them, it will still be a MB.
While I agree with your logic, the same could be said about the C63 or any of the other AMGs really. They aren't made to be especially flashy cars that drastically stand out more than their lower trim levels.

But really, you think the CLA screams "Notice my MB", and the GLA45 with the wings and spoilers and everything else doesn't? Come on man lol

To the OP. Regardless of whether the CLA is the more common or more "recognizably" cheap Mercedes, the CLA45 looks better than the GLA45 hands down. It's sleeker, lower to the ground, and looks more expensive than it is with the 4 door coupe shape. The GLA? Looks just like another small MB or BMW suv.

The GLA45 with the wings and spoilers in my opinion is too much of a "try hard" in regards to trying to get people's attention; it's as if the lack of the actual presence created by the shape of the small suv shape itself caused it to have to try and over compensate by adding immature flicks and spoilers just to be noticed. This is all my opinion though.

Ride wise, the GLA45 will only be marginally better, certainly nothing to sway one way or another. Biggest advantage comes with the rear headroom and cargo space, which the CLA is lacking somewhat. I would only get the GLA if I regularly had adults in the backseat or if you're buying large items frequently..

Personally I don't care about people being uncomfortable in the back seat, if they don't like it they can get out which is why I chose the CLA45.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AMG GT63S
Why not wait for the GLE? Those look nice especially if you're thinking about an SUV for a family. Smaller than an ML
Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
Guys thanks for help.

From my part of the world in SEA the government is trying to protect local branded cars so imports from euro have exponential taxes that costs more than the car itself

A c63 amg new cost around USD 300k, CLA and GLA 45 AMG costs around USD 120k, CLA200 is around USD 80k, because cars are so expensive so MB here are generous with the options to give you, in other words AMGS models are all fully loaded with every option available and CLA200 isn't, it's all decided by how the dealers package their cars so they have differentiate tiers (e.g. if you want pano roof it's only available AMG etc.)
With 50K USD you can get a Honda accord and 30k can net you a honda jazz as comparison.

Why am saying this is there is probably less posers here that drives cheap MBs as compared to NYC (yes if I see CLA200 on the street that looks like my CLA45 it does give me an uneasy feeling ) so I'm less concerned about that.

I like both styling, I'm happy with both car's driving, I like the look of the sleek body of CLA but also the ride height of GLA to clear some of the crappy roads and bumps
I don't carry adults in the back seat often and being an Asian even adults will find back seat quite comfortable in the CLA I think.

Does anyone know if the CLA can fit a golfset in the trunk without folding the seats down? I'm very certain the GLA can't, golf is quite a big part in my routine so this is quite a big deciding factor for me.

At this point I'm still very confused but I'm leaning just tiny bit more towards the GLA because of the Edition one package 20" wheels and Harmon Kardon sounds

Last edited by zankok; 08-28-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLA45 MY15
Get what makes you happy, thats all that matters. Everyone will have their opinions, but at the end of the day it's all about what makes you happy.

If you like the sports car look, go CLA45, if you like the more hatchback style go GLA45, pretty simple.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM

GLA
The deal breaker for me with the CLA was when i sat in the back seats, closed the door and turned my head outside and saw the C pillar. Im not that tall however i have to bend foward so i can see out the car.

I dont wish that on my passengers.

But yea you're the driver so get what makes you happy
Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 PM

2019 Audi TT RS, 2020 BMW X3M Competition
Originally Posted by zankok
Does anyone know if the CLA can fit a golfset in the trunk without folding the seats down? I'm very certain the GLA can't, golf is quite a big part in my routine so this is quite a big deciding factor for me.
Yes, my clubs are in the trunk now.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:21 AM

cla shooting brake
Old 08-29-2015, 09:46 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
the CLA is a great looking car IMO, the GLA seems like it'd offer more room, are you starting your own family anytime soon? The extra space will pay off if that's the case...

hey; they're both AMG