Does coating offer any protection from rock chip damage at all?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A200
Does coating offer any protection from rock chip damage at all?

Hi everyone I got a new A-class Benz and drove for few days, then I decided to have a full body coating and it was done by a pretty famous Japanese company. After the coating process, the staff told me that there was a rock chip damage at a spot near a wheel. I looked at it and the "print" is still there, but it looks like the original coating by Benz has been damaged and the "colorless plastic coating" is not even and not smooth anymore. The color of the car is dark so I assume if the print is gone then there should be a white spot and I still see the color is same as original.

By the way the Japanese coating is 4H hardness level. I just wonder if I did the coating right after I got the car, would the coating offers some protection and not damage deep enough to the original Benz coating? Or the result would be the same anyway and I should expect much more rock chip damage since I always drive in highway in a super busy polluted city?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like the clear coat was damaged and the damage did not get into the paint or primer coats! However because you did not repair the clear coat you will always have an indentation, but the indent is now protected with the hardness coat!!
Old 11-17-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A200
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Sounds like the clear coat was damaged and the damage did not get into the paint or primer coats! However because you did not repair the clear coat you will always have an indentation, but the indent is now protected with the hardness coat!!
I think so too. I thought the new coating process would smooth the indentation or make the indentation flat.