W169 Avantgarde vs Elegance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-
W169 Avantgarde vs Elegance

Hi Everyone,
I'm planning to buy my first Merc in the form of a 2nd gen. A-Class. The model I'm looking is ideally an A180 CDI CVT version. Where I need a bit of advice is Avantgarde or Elegance? Suspension and comfort in particular. Is there a difference between the trims like in E-Class etc? Is the Avantgarde noticeably harder, bumpier than Elegance? I'm going to drive longer distances with kids at the back and I would prefer a more comfy ride.
Thanks,
Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As far as I'm aware, for the W169, the only difference between the Avantgarde and Elegance trims is decorative: the interior: wood - aluminium being the most noticeable, and exterior: grille, wheels (both 16"). Even the fogs and tailpipe are the same, as are the chrome strips and side skirts. Nappa-trimmed steering wheel and leather handbrakes / gearshift are the same too.

The Sports suspension (486) was available as an option on all trims, or as part of the Sports Package (952) and that came with 10mm lowered suspension, and with larger wheels - 18" AMG type-III (791) or 17" 7-spoke ones (603). It also comes with different grille, pedals, instrument cluster (on facelift) and gearshift lever.

Other than that, only the wheel size would affect your ride comfort, I believe. The only difference between the standard wheels for the Elegance and Avantgarde was design: 10-twin-spoke for the Elegance and 5-spoke for the Avantgarde. Both came with 195/55 tyres.

I honestly would ignore the Elegance / Avantgarde part and pick an interior/exterior you like, and look for extra packages, like comfort seats (U59), light & sight package (U62), folding mirrors (500), luxury climate (581), COMAND (512/518), Luxury Package (P65), etc, etc.
The following users liked this post:
agentx (06-06-2016)