CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Foglight wiring problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320
Foglight wiring problem...

My drivers side foglight is not working but the passenger side is working fine. I get a defective lamp message despite the fact that I have changed the bulb to a brand new one. I am not getting any power whatsoever from the drivers side wires.

My question is can I tap the passenger side wires to power the drivers side fogs since they are wired up to the same fuse. My experience and knowledge of electronics lets me know that I can do this however I am unsure of whether or not I will receive the same defective headlamp message if I do. In other words is the defective message voltage related or is there an individual sensor for each fog? The driverside wires are shot I have no other recourse besides the dealer and I'm not going there for that.

I did this before on my bimmer with no problems but there was no error message for the fogs only the for the headlights so it didnt matter.

98 clk320

Thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 AM

i have the exact same problem and have to take it for service next week, they told me that i have to change the foglight assembly which is about $100 plus labour ... they said its been corroded and would have to be replaced. I have a 99 clk320
Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 AM

Clk320
Thanks but I know its not the assembly I'm not getting any power out of the wires period. I thought about it being the housing but when I went under the car for a closer look I saw that it wasnt which prompted me to check the wires.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
05 E55
Any update on this? How do you diagnose bad wiring for your foglight and determine where the bad connectiion is?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
I have the same prob on the same side, they are corroded I asked my tech about it he said that he would just have to clean them out that it happens offen on CLKs that have headlight washers. He said that the washer fluid drips down on the connection. I am just going to get a new system, check my Yellow foglight thread. Let me know what you find out.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:01 PM

MB CLK 200
Since it is just one fuse feeding both lamps, have a look under the fusebox if the lamps are feeded parallel from the fuse or if there is a split somewhere halfway the loom to the lamps.
From that point you must be able to locate the cutoff.
Success, Tony.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Mercedes 2001 ML320
Passenger fog lamp wiring

Originally Posted by ClkE20
My drivers side foglight is not working but the passenger side is working fine. I get a defective lamp message despite the fact that I have changed the bulb to a brand new one. I am not getting any power whatsoever from the drivers side wires.

My question is can I tap the passenger side wires to power the drivers side fogs since they are wired up to the same fuse. My experience and knowledge of electronics lets me know that I can do this however I am unsure of whether or not I will receive the same defective headlamp message if I do. In other words is the defective message voltage related or is there an individual sensor for each fog? The driverside wires are shot I have no other recourse besides the dealer and I'm not going there for that.

I did this before on my bimmer with no problems but there was no error message for the fogs only the for the headlights so it didnt matter.

98 clk320

Thanks in advance
The wires on my CLK passenger fog lamp were cut off. Could you please look in your car and tell me where do I look for the wires? There should be a green and a brown wire, but I couldn't find them. Thank you so much.