CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 How To's

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320 BLACKOUT
Thanks and help

Thanks for putting these threads together. Its a great resource for w208 drivers. I'm in so cal and I have had a few Mercedes in the past but I just got a beat up w208 that i have brought back from the dead (was in bad cosmetic shape and I want to make sure she is running right. For some reason im loving this oldie but goodie. I'm dealing with a few issues that I need help with...
1 esp warning comes on sometimes then shuts off. It never comes on when i start the car
2 express roll back sunroof? Silly question
3MOST IMPORTANT is just a overall check of engine and transmission.
I would appreciate a point in the right direction as to a thread or other ref
Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55
There's a lot to love about these cars. Very solid, reliable, and fun, and I still get compliments on my 13 year old car.

1) I'm not sure this is it, but have you tried the ECU reset? I know that if you don't turn the wheel from left to right after reconnecting the battery the ESP and ABS lights will illuminate. If it's just the ESP light, make sure you're not hitting the button by accident. I do this frequently when I put something on the center console. Here's a link to the ECU reset (not sure if it's necessary...):
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ecu-reset.html

2) The sunroof will open automatically, but it needs to be closed manually (by holding the button forward. To auto open, just hold the button back until it starts moving, then let go and let it go by itself. If this doesn't work, try the ECU reset procedure above.

3) I've been told the M113 motors are "bullet proof" and my limited experience concurs. The transmission was designed for the V12 motors, so it also shouldn't have problems if treated properly (The previous statements apply to the V8 models, but I believe the V6s are similarly reliable).

Transmission fluid should be changed every 50k or so, although I've heard if it hasn't been done after ~100k, it might be better to leave it (I'm not sure about this)... As for the motor, oil leaks around the cylinder head gaskets are fairly common so look for that. Otherwise, as long as it idles and runs smoothly, it's probably fine. Change fluids and plugs on time (2/cylinder), and enjoy!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM

2000 CLK 320 BLACKOUT
Originally Posted by njgilligan
There's a lot to love about these cars. Very solid, reliable, and fun, and I still get compliments on my 13 year old car.

1) I'm not sure this is it, but have you tried the ECU reset? I know that if you don't turn the wheel from left to right after reconnecting the battery the ESP and ABS lights will illuminate. If it's just the ESP light, make sure you're not hitting the button by accident. I do this frequently when I put something on the center console. Here's a link to the ECU reset (not sure if it's necessary...):
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ecu-reset.html

2) The sunroof will open automatically, but it needs to be closed manually (by holding the button forward. To auto open, just hold the button back until it starts moving, then let go and let it go by itself. If this doesn't work, try the ECU reset procedure above.

3) I've been told the M113 motors are "bullet proof" and my limited experience concurs. The transmission was designed for the V12 motors, so it also shouldn't have problems if treated properly (The previous statements apply to the V8 models, but I believe the V6s are similarly reliable).

Transmission fluid should be changed every 50k or so, although I've heard if it hasn't been done after ~100k, it might be better to leave it (I'm not sure about this)... As for the motor, oil leaks around the cylinder head gaskets are fairly common so look for that. Otherwise, as long as it idles and runs smoothly, it's probably fine. Change fluids and plugs on time (2/cylinder), and enjoy!

Hey!! Thx for the info!
I have also started to get compliments about the car! In regards to your info.
1 its only ESp light and it doesn't come on all the time . ie. It didn't come on at all yestetday.
2 the express isn't working. I have"reset" it and nothing. I am kind of worried about ecu procedure because so far this w208 seems very sensitive and I don't have radio code plus I am currently attempting to trouble shoot my ac, but before that I need to patch a leak and resyotr coolant. ( previous owner let the car go to crap)
3 you are right about the oil!! Just ordered valve cover gaskets. Residue everywhere! Can u be specific about the fluids and plugs(anything else I should check)... I have checked Oil power steering brake coolant ( considering a coolant flush to add Mercedes Benz coolant. Thoughts?). * what do u mean by 2/cylinder?
Old 06-02-2014, 05:05 AM

Mercedes CLK 320 (W208), '73 Chevy Nova
2 spark plugs per cylinder, i.e. 12 in total.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 PM

2000 CLK 320 BLACKOUT
Originally Posted by WILLYWESTSIDE
Hey!! Thx for the info!
I have also started to get compliments about the car! In regards to your info.
1 its only ESp light and it doesn't come on all the time . ie. It didn't come on at all yestetday.
2 the express isn't working. I have"reset" it and nothing. I am kind of worried about ecu procedure because so far this w208 seems very sensitive and I don't have radio code plus I am currently attempting to trouble shoot my ac, but before that I need to patch a leak and resyotr coolant. ( previous owner let the car go to crap)
3 you are right about the oil!! Just ordered valve cover gaskets. Residue everywhere! Can u be specific about the fluids and plugs(anything else I should check)... I have checked Oil power steering brake coolant ( considering a coolant flush to add Mercedes Benz coolant. Thoughts?). * what do u mean by 2/cylinder?
OK got cha!!
hey I just spoke with a Mercedes tech at a dealership and he said not to use black sealent wnen changing valve cover gasket. Do you know anything about that ?
I just finished with the rims and lens tinting now I'm moving on to fixing the driver side door window and valve cover gaskets
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM

CLK 200 (1999)
I've got a problem with activating the Cruise Control.
See image for the lever and the LIM-indication lights on lever and on speedometer.

These LIM-indicators are separate indicators meaning one can burn without the other one.

Problem is that I can activate a speed limit but I can not seem to activate the Cruise Control so that I can remove my foot from the pedal.
I might overlook some action as the lever can move to the rear, front, up and down and can be pushed in.

I don't have the 1999 manual of the car and, if I 'm not mistaken, the cruise control system controls (the activation of cc) has changed.

Oh yes, I also have a Kenwood audio system with (Garmin?) navigation but, alas, without the navigation cd's/dvd's. Anyone who can help me out with that? I would be happy even with (long) outdated disks (or images) because I want to find out if I can replace the maps myself.
I know that can be easily done with the Garmin hand devices.

Last edited by Summer sky blue; 07-22-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 AM

clk230
Hi Guys, new to this and my first post, some serious great info, fair play.

So I have a w208 Clk230. I've 2 issues.

The first one is about a month ago I got stopped to be told my reversing lights were on. I investigated and found that anytime I switch on my lights (be it the car on or off, in Drive or Park) the reversing lights come on. If I dont have lights on and I go into reverse they work perfect. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I really just trying to move forward with this one

Second issue and one that I'm not so bothered with but would like some info on. When it rains really heavy and there's a lot of surface water and I'm going around a corner or bend (to the left only) the car makes the most disturbing banging sound at the back right corner around the wheel arch area from what I can make out. It's strange that it happens only when there surface water, anyone any idea on what the hell is going on here?

I hope on on the right forum, if not if someone could point me in the direction that'd be cool.

Cheers Guys !!!!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM

2003 CLK 430, R33 GTR,
Originally Posted by #Gotl
Hi Guys, new to this and my first post, some serious great info, fair play.

So I have a w208 Clk230. I've 2 issues.

The first one is about a month ago I got stopped to be told my reversing lights were on. I investigated and found that anytime I switch on my lights (be it the car on or off, in Drive or Park) the reversing lights come on. If I dont have lights on and I go into reverse they work perfect. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I really just trying to move forward with this one

Cheers Guys !!!!
I would guess the problem here is that you have the rear fog lamps activated. On the light switch control knob, it can be pulled out 1 click for front fogs and 2 clicks for both front and rear fogs (reverse lights)
Cheers
Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 AM

clk230
Hey synistrCLK
Thanks for the reply. I wish it was that easy however, I'm aware of the the double click on the light switch control knob and it's not that unfortunately. Also the second click out is for the back fogs alright but the reversing lights (white lights) are different again.

Cheers, #Gotl
Old 08-03-2014, 10:15 AM

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK430
1999 CLK 430 Kickdown Switch Replacement

Hi Guys

I need your help with instructions on how to remove old kickdown switch and putting in new one I just purchased for my 1999 CLK 430.

I replaced the switch for a few reasons. 1. it seems the spring/plunger collapsed in it and it does not click when I press it resulting in NO kickdown. 2. I have no kickdown anymore.
Car runs perfectly fine and no power issues or anything. Just when pressing the bad switch... it does not kickdown...resulting me almost getting in a few accidents.

thanks so much and hope to hear from you guys soon!
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 PM

2013 E350 bluetec and 2014 C63 AMG 507
unde dash bulb

Can someone please tell me what led festoon bulb will fit in the courtesy light socket under the driver and passenger side of a 2014 C63 and a 2013 E350? Sorry if a repost but getting tired of looking. Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 06:02 PM

clk320
Window closing

Originally Posted by clivesheridan
does anyone know a fix for my problem the windows on my coupe do not drop when you close the doors leaving the top of the glass outside of the rubber. Thanks
I have a 1999 320 W208 convertible with the same problem.

After much research I discovered the auto down/up feature did not appear until MB introduced the facelift model. If, like me, you own a pre-facelift MB you have to drop the windows and raise them manually in order to have the glass inside the rubber.

UNLESS SOMEBODY KNOWS DIFFERENTLY??

Regards

Austinat
Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM

2000 CLK 430
Unhappy Reinstalling stock radio

Hey guys,

I bought a 2000 CLK 430 a while back and it came with an aftermarket radio. Everytime I turn my car off the radio restarts as if it is new again. I found a stock radio and navigation system that is popular in the CLK 550 that came from an old 2000 W208. I was wondering how easy it would be to reinstall this stock radio and get rid of the aftermarket one.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 PM

CLK 200 (1999)
Originally Posted by Summer sky blue
I've got a problem with activating the Cruise Control.
See image for the lever and the LIM-indication lights on lever and on speedometer.

Problem is that I can activate a speed limit but I can not seem to activate the Cruise Control so that I can take my foot off the pedal.
Allright, an answer to my own problem. The problem was that the previous owner had removed the EBS/BAS warning lights from the cockpit. But these were burning most of the time when I reinstalled them.

I found out cruise control can not be activated when these warning lights are burning.
When they are off, cruise control is activated by lifting the smaller left hand lever. But only when LIM-light on this lever is off.

I love to use cruise control on longer stretches.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK55
FYI, cruise control will also be de-activated if you run a wheel/tire setup with a significant difference in overall diameter from the front to the rear. It's actually the same reason: The ESP system senses a difference in rotational speed between the front and rear wheels, and assumes there is slippage.

I also like to use cruise control on long stretches of highway, and was disappointed to loose the functionality when I fitted some extra large tires on the rear.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 AM

1999 W208 CLK230
Originally Posted by njgilligan
FYI, cruise control will also be de-activated if you run a wheel/tire setup with a significant difference in overall diameter from the front to the rear. It's actually the same reason: The ESP system senses a difference in rotational speed between the front and rear wheels, and assumes there is slippage.

I also like to use cruise control on long stretches of highway, and was disappointed to loose the functionality when I fitted some extra large tires on the rear.
Me too - changed to a bit wider rims and my cruise control not engaging...
Old 08-22-2015, 09:13 AM

2001 CLK430
2001 Radio Remove ??? HELP PLEASE !!!

CLK 430 Convertible, I need to remove radio, I have set of keys from crutchfield , they remove the climate control box, but not radio. Any anyone help here???
Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
The keys to remove the radio and climate control are the same for non-command systems (if keys are bent they won't work). Do you have Command?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 AM

2001 CLK430
command?

Originally Posted by burgca
The keys to remove the radio and climate control are the same for non-command systems (if keys are bent they won't work). Do you have Command?
I would say yes, as it has the phone in the system. Differ keys??
Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 AM

1998 CLK320 & 2009 ML350
Originally Posted by Kyre96
Hey guys,

I bought a 2000 CLK 430 a while back and it came with an aftermarket radio. Everytime I turn my car off the radio restarts as if it is new again. I found a stock radio and navigation system that is popular in the CLK 550 that came from an old 2000 W208. I was wondering how easy it would be to reinstall this stock radio and get rid of the aftermarket one.
Whoever wired it wrong when installing the aftermarket unit. In order for the radio to maintain its settings, it needs a constant 12v. Need to find the wiring diagram for the radio (should be able to google it) and the correct wire from the car and hook them up. Sorry can't be more specific, but this should be easy to google and find the proper wires that need to be connected.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Applebmw here is a YouTube clip for removing Command from a W208

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
GatorMB (04-02-2016)
Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 PM

CLK 430 2002
how to remove interior trim for clk 430 2002

Would like any suggestions on removing interior trim on the dash, center consul, and left and right door trim,, any help will be grateful

Thanks

David
Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 AM

Mercedes CLK (W208) 200 Kompressor
Hi everybody.
Sunroof of my W208 is getting me crazy.
I don't use it often, so now i opened it and got stuck....
When i close it, i have to "help" it manually and at the end only come to correct position on left side. Right side doesn't come up.
I try to make reset but no result. it looks that left side cames too high.... looks out of correct place...... is there any info of how to solve this..... thanks!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Convertible top Canvas repairs by other.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...anvas-top.html

This was too good to let go folks.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 PM

98 clk 320
Recently purchased a 98 clk 320. Going around fixing a few things like interior blower fan running continuously even with the car off. Thanks to this forum I got that squared away. Now I noticed when I change airflow Direction's on my vents it literally takes 15-20 min to change I checked most of the vac lines and did not find any leaks. Now I recently found that the lock for my gas cover is broken there's a crunching noise coming from there when I lock and unlock the car. So my question is this, is it possible o have a vac leak at the gas cover lock therefore making my vents take forever to change direction. Sorry for the essay but I'm just hoping I could kill to birds with one stone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.

Quick Reply: W208 How To's