CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Soft top issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Soft top issues

2000 CLK430 Cabriolet. Having issues with the top, as in...it doesn't work!
Does anybody have experience with soft top not working? There was another CLK430 in the shop I visited with the same issue so I'm wondering if this is a design flaw by MB. Symtoms: unlock top, windows roll down ok. Backside of soft top will not lift (or release) for the rest of the system to work. Soft top compartment lid attempts to move/lift but doesn't. Any advice?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:58 AM

Question

Stupid question, but is the soft-top housing in the trunk pulled closed?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 AM

W220, W208, W203
my soft top went out on me also. Do your rear headrest still go up and down? Hopefully your pump motor did not go out. My pump motor went out and the dealer wants $1700 in order to fix it. I can live with my top up for a while.....
Old 05-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Soft top

The hydraulic fluid might be low. The resevoir is on the end of the pump and is clear plastic with lines on it to show high and low levels. Jerry
Old 05-05-2006, 04:34 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
NOTHING is a stupid question to me. This is my first Benzo and ANY information that will help me get a better understanding of this type of car is welcome. So thanks mattr2!
To answer your question, yes, that soft top housing with the flimsy 'contact' (on the right side of the housing) was the first thing checked. The first mechanic actually clamped it. No problem there...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by gate1way2
my soft top went out on me also. Do your rear headrest still go up and down? Hopefully your pump motor did not go out. My pump motor went out and the dealer wants $1700 in order to fix it. I can live with my top up for a while.....
$1700!!! Good lawd! I just got this thing so I'll be riding around with the top up too if thats what I'm quoted! I took it to a shop here in the DC area yesterday. He's looking into it.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:38 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Jerry Sommer
The hydraulic fluid might be low. The resevoir is on the end of the pump and is clear plastic with lines on it to show high and low levels. Jerry
The first guy/mechanic that looked into it said the resevoir was EMPTY. But nothing was wrong with the soft top motor. Read my following update...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:50 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Soft top problem update

The mechanic working on fixing my non-functional soft top says he is certain that the problem is my TRUNK LOCK. As you probably know, a series of events has to happen for the top to work. One is all the windows rolling down, the other is the retractable headrests go down. This AND the trunk needs to be closed and the soft top compartment cover has to have electrical contact with the little thingy that tells the computer 'ok, I'm closed and locked in place'.
Well, my trunk (lock) has been a problem too. Only working SOME times. He believes that the lock is not sending the proper signal (if at all) to the main computer to tell it that the trunk is closed and it's ok to begin operation of the lifting process. So we will change the trunk lock. (soft top operation does not work until the trunk is closed)
I was initially skeptical until he told me that there was a Silver CLK430 (2002) in his shop for the SAME PROBLEM w/the SAME SYMPTOMS. And her trunk lock didn't work either. After changing her trunk lock, the top worked fine.
By the way, beware of shops claiming to have M-B 'computers'. Every shop claiming to have one, doesn't neccesarily have a TRUE MB diagnostic computer. Some only have a laptop, MB diag software, and a RS232 cable (to connect to the car's computer).
So if this is the case, I might get out of this without taking out a mortgage on the house...
Stay tuned! *is there a crossed fingers icon?*
Old 05-05-2006, 04:57 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
I'm sorry, I forgot to say that, yes, the rear headrests do go up and down. However, let me ask you this. When you initially start your car, does the light on the headrest switch blink for like 10 seconds for you? Mine blinks for about 10 secs. then goes out but the headrests operate fine. I'm asking because one guy thought that might be the problem with the soft top (since the headrests must be fully retracted before the operation of the top commences)Hmm. What does your headrest switch do when starting your car? Does it blink? Does it even come on at all?

Eric
Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 PM

W220, W208, W203
nothing comes on with my headrest, the red light basically stays on, so my problem must be different than yours, which is great! Hopefully you get your top fixed with minimal $$ damage. If your guys says you do need a new top motor, let me know. I know somebody who has one for sale, i've just been too lazy to purchase it. Keep me informed and let me know what happenes. Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:19 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
nothing comes on with my headrest, the red light basically stays on, so my problem must be different than yours, which is great! Hopefully you get your top fixed with minimal $$ damage. If your guys says you do need a new top motor, let me know. I know somebody who has one for sale, i've just been too lazy to purchase it. Keep me informed and let me know what happenes. Good Luck!
Oh wow. Headrest light stays on? Hmm. Doesn't that mean a problem with the headrests? That may be the actual source of your top problem(s). Have you gotten a second opinion on that? I would think that if your car's computer 'thinks' the headrests are up, the top won't work. Just a thought. I'll certainly keep you posted on my deal but it won't be ready till next week (waiting on delivery of trunk latch/lock). Stay tuned...
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Gate1Way2:
They found that the problem with the top had nothing to do with ANY of the convertible components. It was the freakin trunk lock (which seemed to work when it felt like it) ! While they suspected the lock all along, they had to end up breaking the left taillight to access the trunk when the lock became inoperable both by key AND by the remote. After getting into the trunk, they took the lock apart and found pieces missing. Mechanic suspected that the car was 'tapped' in the rear and shoddy workmanship during the repair. He replaced the lock and the top now works like a champ! The bad news? The total came to $2000 but he fixed quite a few minor issues with the car in addition to actually getting it inspected (MD) for me. He also threw in an extra set of HID lamps for me . So, I'm rollin topless again. Let the good times roll!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:40 AM

03 CLK 430 Convertible "silkie" (sold), 2010 E350 Sport Sedan (graveyard), new wheels coming soon...
did you have problems with your trunk lock before your top wouldn't go down? like my trunk opens with the remote key and blade and opens and closes fine...... so would it NOT be a problem with the trunk lock if my top doesn't go down?

trunk -seems fine
headrests -work fine
hydraulic fluid - where's that located???
pump motor thingy -is that the motor sound i hear when i push the soft top button to go down but nothing happens? i press button and hear "sound" but no result!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:52 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by rolling430
did you have problems with your trunk lock before your top wouldn't go down? like my trunk opens with the remote key and blade and opens and closes fine...... so would it NOT be a problem with the trunk lock if my top doesn't go down?

trunk -seems fine
headrests -work fine
hydraulic fluid - where's that located???
pump motor thingy -is that the motor sound i hear when i push the soft top button to go down but nothing happens? i press button and hear "sound" but no result!
I did not notice a trunk problem before the top stopped working. It was weird. I bought the car and EVERYTHING appeared to work fine. I put the top down and back up twice myself. The trunk worked fine (remote and the blade). I drove off and 20 minutes later decided to drop the top. THAT is when it didn't work. I thought I was trippin. But I wasn't. The dealer invited me to bring it back to them so they could take a look (you know I did!). THAT is when we noticed that the trunk wouldn't work. The rest of the story reads more like a soap opera and I care not to get into it here but would relay the entire story to you if you're interested (PM me).

Not sure if a working trunk lock means that it is NOT the culprit. It really could be a variety of problems. But let me give you the symptoms I experienced. (In Miami when it first happened) Unlocking the soft top correctly resulted in the windows rolling down and the rear headrests retracting. But then the top (more accurately, the deck cover) didn't seem like it wanted to 'unlock'. Like the latch wouldn't 'let go'. Then a mechanic friend of the dealer I bought from HAD IT WORKING. I flew back down to get the car. Again, the top worked flawlessly and I again dropped and raised the top myself three times this time. Fine. The next morning, before I left Miami, I dropped the top to make sure. It worked fine. This time however, it wouldn't go back up! Same type of symptom. The rear 'deck' (or soft top compartment cover) seemed like it didn't want to 'let go'. That's when they showed me how to raise the thing manually. Oh well....

By the way, the Hydraulic fluid resevoir is behind the backseat (driver's side backseat), accessed from the trunk only. You have to take some of the inards of the trunk out to get to it *yikes*. Also, there's a little hole in the trunk fabric where you can 'release' the pressure that the hydraulic system forces on the system and actually raise the top manually. You can't move that billy without releasing the pressure. Let me know if you have more questions. More than happy to help all I can. Lord knows if I can help somebody from going thru what I did, I will!

Also, if the soft top light blinks as you try to raise or lift the top, that's the indication that you've got a problem....
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
HPC

Red face

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Until I figure it out is there any way to manually close the top?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by HPC
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Until I figure it out is there any way to manually close the top?
Yes it can be lifted manually. Pages 280-286 of your owner's manual will describe what you have to do. I could tell you but the pics in the owner's manual help more. If you don't have an owner's manual, let me know. I have it in .pdf (Acrobat Reader) format and I'll get it to you. Beware, it's 9MB!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:22 PM

2014 E550 Convertible
I'm glad you dug up this old thread! I've been thinking of my next car, and this thread has helped me finally decide. It was between CLK430 convertible and XKR convertible.

I've owned Jags before and know they have quirks, but MB quality is really getting ridiculous...

Also when I dropped off my Jag at the local stealer I left in a Jag (loaner car). At my MB stealer I drop off my benz and catch a ratty old shuttle.

Sorry if this is , but this is useful information. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:45 PM

430 clk conv 2002
When I initially start my car, the light on the headrest switch blinks for like 10-15 seconds then goes out and the headrests operate fine. the tray in the trunk is fastened. windows go down however, the top does NOT go down. it worked fine until I had the top half up / half down while tinting my rear window, then everything went screwy. when I unlatch the roof, no sound no nothing. any help would be appreciated . the cables and pump have been replaced a year ago. thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 PM

11 E550 Conv
the headrest light blinks as a reminder to raise them if there are people in the rear seats. if it blinks 5-8 seconds when you start the car and then goes out, all is well.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:53 PM

'99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 AM

430 clk conv 2002
" I GREATLY appreciate your help GOOD NEWS ITS FIXED!! I took the slim 10mm tool and was gonna manually move the top thinking it would resynchronize and as soon as I turned the tool I felt it latch even further ( it looked as if it was latched all the way down) so I said mmmmmmmmm....got it and it works perfect!!! so even if the top looks and feels latched I would suggest to anyone to take the slim 10mm and manually lock it and try again. thanks again, tony