CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dead battery - locked trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by 928Benz
I need serious help guys. Went on vacation and I had luggage stuck in my trunk. The fob doesnt work, nor does the switch on the console. And the key fits only qtr way. I willed and played with it for an hour w no luck. Dropped the car off at White Plains Mercedes in New York. They couldn't figure it out and told me they'd need to drill out the lock and replace it with a new one. I told them about maybe inducing a 12+volt surge in the box under te hood to maybe induce the trunk to open. They didn't want to do it because they thought it could create other problems. The part alone is over $300. The rest is labor. Any advice or suggestions please!!!!! I really don't want to shell out this kind of money just to get in the trunk. Thanks in advance.

00 CLK430
If they won't put voltage to the car via the method described above then you should do it yourself. It works just fine and saves the cost of drilling out the old lock.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
It works

Thanks for that. I connected a battery charger to the hot wire and tried the trunk release switch. It made a noise but didn't properly open trunk - then tried key again which I previouskly hadn't been able to move and this time it turned and I was able to open the trunk.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 PM

CLK 430 Cab
Thanks so much for this tip. It was a big help. I called the Mercedes Roadside Assistance, and even the tech couldn't open the trunk. Then I showed him you picture. We gave it a shot and it worked. This is the way to go; much easier than messing with the trunk. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
just get one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

dont use it to start the car...just plug it into your cig lighter when your battery is dead, and it will give enough juice to pop the trunk
Old 11-23-2016, 02:46 AM

2001 CLK 430 Convertible
CLK 430 2001 Metal Mechanical Key

As others have noted the key will work (assuming it is the right one for the car). It just takes time and patience. Some have mentioned using WD-40 so I tried that and had some limited success in getting the key in. I then used a product call Freeze-Off and after messing with it for 1/2 hour or so it worked. I sprayed inside the lock and on the metal key and just played with it back and forth. Not sure if its the same on all cars but for mine I inserted the key in the opposite direction than the pos ition used to open the driver side door. On the door the lip you hold onto faces down when you are inserting it it looks like
L___________ from the side, for the trunk the L is upside down. Hard to explain clearly but it kind of looks like the trunk takes it upside down. After using the lubricant I inserted the key, back and forth, jiggling, pushing, etc. I couldn't believe it made it all the way in. Remember you need to get it so the key is all the way in before turning and pushing. Once I got it in I used a pair of pliers to turn the key slighting left, slighting right, back and forth, being very careful so as to not break off the key. Didn't think I was getting anywhere but all of a sudden it turned. To open is like a 30-45 turn to the left and then you push the button and trunk opens. I have been having a bunch of electrical issues that may or may not be related but after I got the trunk open using the key I can now open the trunk using the cabin trunk switch and the key fob neither of which worked before.