CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing an Aftermarket Navigation or Headunit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 320
not yet. discovered that after
i was putting it together.

just go it installed last week.

right now i just have it tight fitted
and pushed the way back. and i glued
the trim ring so its kinda solid.

but i might have to look for better way.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Originally Posted by ZEEK
guys, if you are that confused, i can get you guys the wire harness that i used to install pioneer avic-z1 in my 01 clk 320. It was a vw harness and you dont need to do anything else. Just match the colors and your good to go. Its that simple. NO bypassing or anything. Babyboi, i highly doubt your factory amp will blow, the audio guy is just trying to sell.
Well I held off on installing the Avic-Z Series and am now looking at the Avic-Z110bt. I have a 2001 CLK 320 Cab and just upgraded my teleaid II to Digital. Will swaping the bose head unit for the z110bt prevent the mbrace or teleaid from sending it's spoken message over the car speakers? I was told that the only thing in the audio system that was fiber was the cd changer and that if I kept the amp I could continue to use the teleaid since it just sends it's spoken message through the amp.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM

CLK 320
So I just purchased a pioneer x910bt for my 2001 CLK 320. After reading multiple forums, I have come up with these tools that I need for the install.
1.) tool to remove old head unit
2.) antenna adapter
3.) steering wheel control adapter
4.) wiring harness
5.) dash kit, double-din

There are still some issues before I start my install though that I would appreciate help with and hope it can help others. The GPS install manual says to connect one wire to the Speed control and one to the parking brake. Is this necessary? will everything work without doing this? Also, will the speakers work without an adapter for the sound system ?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by kas1419
So I just purchased a pioneer x910bt for my 2001 CLK 320. After reading multiple forums, I have come up with these tools that I need for the install.
1.) tool to remove old head unit
2.) antenna adapter
3.) steering wheel control adapter
4.) wiring harness
5.) dash kit, double-din

There are still some issues before I start my install though that I would appreciate help with and hope it can help others. The GPS install manual says to connect one wire to the Speed control and one to the parking brake. Is this necessary? will everything work without doing this? Also, will the speakers work without an adapter for the sound system ?
The Bose converter is less than $30 at Amazon. I paid less than $15 at Crutchfield. At those prices, I can't see why anyone would not use the converter.

Regarding the speakers, if you use an aftermarket HU to feed the Bose amp, the speakers will work but they won't sound as good as they would with a converter. If you use either the HU or a conventional amp to power Bose speakers, both the amp (or HU) and the speakers will most likely die over time. 1-ohm of impedance in a system designed for 4-ohms is the problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:12 AM

CLK 320
Can you provide me with the part # or link to the adapter? I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all of the information.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
It's a PAC-OEM2. Three are listed on Amazon for $28. Here's a link.

Here are some notes I took when I changed mine.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
So those of us w/ 98-99's, we don't need the PAC because we don't have steering wheel controls?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
Has anyone customized their splash screen to look OEM w/ the MB logo? Was it easy? Pics?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:05 AM

CLK55 / E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by trudawg
Has anyone customized their splash screen to look OEM w/ the MB logo? Was it easy? Pics?
I have a nice round booty shot on my splash screen...feels pretty OEM to me!

Theres a bunch out there black background with star or just AMG.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by trudawg
So those of us w/ 98-99's, we don't need the PAC because we don't have steering wheel controls?
There are several PAC converters. One set for the steering wheel controls, which you won't need, and another single $28 unit to make the Bose sound better.

BTW, GiZzos wallpaper looks nice!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 PM

CLK 320
explanation

Ok first thank you everyone for your help with the install. Just to clarify for those of you planning to upgrade... if the unit comes with a separate set of rca plug YOU DO NOT NEED the pac-oem-2. Whether or not it provides better sound I do not know. The goal of using the pac oem 2 is to lower the output of the unit however the rca plugs already accomplish that. You will only need the adapter if you are connecting at the line level or in other words hardwiring the speakers from the unit to the harness. I wasted 40 bucks on it and wanted to prevent anyone else from doing the same.

As for the steering wheel controls, you will need two adapters. one that is unit specific..swi-jack or swi-ps and you need one that is specific to your connector swi-can-2 for me.

One other piece of information is that you will need to tap into the cigarette lighter to connect the red wire on the harness.

I installed the pioneer x910bt and used the dash kit adt-va133 which looks like it came out of the benz factory.

I will post pics soon
Old 09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Bose amps are designed to receive a low-level balanced differential signal.

The PAC-OEM2 does two things:
  • If needed, it converterts line-level signals to low-level
  • It converts the unbalanced differential signal to a balanced, differential signal.
The RCA plugs on the Pioneer (and other HUs) produce a low-level/pre-amp output. Unfortunately, they still produce an unbalanced signal. Most consumer HUs produce an unbalanced signal. If an unbalanced signal is used to power a Bose amp, it will work, but it won't sound as good as it will if the amp receives the balanced signal it was designed for.

You can always sell your OEM2. Unfortunately, $40 is a little high - I paid $15 from Crutchfield with free shipping.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM

CLK 320
Thanks for all of your help Marcus. Your write-up was key to my install.

What I don't understand is why my sound is better off the rca cables than it was with the factory stereo and amp? and I mean MUCH better
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 Cabrio 2001
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Bose amps are designed to receive a low-level balanced differential signal.

The PAC-OEM2 does two things:
  • If needed, it converterts line-level signals to low-level
  • It converts the unbalanced differential signal to a balanced, differential signal.
The RCA plugs on the Pioneer (and other HUs) produce a low-level/pre-amp output. Unfortunately, they still produce an unbalanced signal. Most consumer HUs produce an unbalanced signal. If an unbalanced signal is used to power a Bose amp, it will work, but it won't sound as good as it will if the amp receives the balanced signal it was designed for.

You can always sell your OEM2. Unfortunately, $40 is a little high - I paid $15 from Crutchfield with free shipping.
Hi Marcus,

Do you use this PAC unit instead of the Metra 1748 harness? I had a local installer use a harness without the PAC OEM2 unit and I don't even see where he connected the sub-woofer.

SirSwift93