CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Code reader?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Code reader?

Does anyone have one?

If so, where did you get it and how well does it work??

Thanks so much...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Definitely need to know where to find one and which are the better ones on the market for our vehicles. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
Got this at Pep Boys for 125 bucks or so, can't remember. It does what it says, reads the codes, tells you what they mean and if the issue is fixed, dumps the codes. Comes with a cd to install on computer that gives a complete breakdown of the fault codes. Priceless. If I did it again, I'd buy a better one.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Got this at Pep Boys for 125 bucks or so, can't remember. It does what it says, reads the codes, tells you what they mean and if the issue is fixed, dumps the codes. Comes with a cd to install on computer that gives a complete breakdown of the fault codes. Priceless. If I did it again, I'd buy a better one.
What are some of the better ones out there?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:26 AM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
I also have the Actron -- CP9135 in my case. Works well -- gave me the codes that I translated here for a bad MAF, which I did myself in a few minutes. My labor savings alone paid for the unit, and I plug it in every 6 months and it happily reports no codes found. I think this one is on clearance at Pep Boys (I got mine on ebay two years back).

It also gave me an O2 sensor code about a year-and-a-half ago, which I didn't have the patience to do myself, so I took it to the dealer for that one. I told them what I thought was wrong, and it was right on with what STAR said.

Most of the aftermarket ones read the basic OBD codes for the engine/emissions sensors. Get one that resets the Check Engine light -- otherwise you won't know if you fixed the problem. The aftermarket tools won't read the extended codes that the STAR system reads (airbags, other electronic systems) -- you would need a Mercedes specific tool/software which is over 10 times more expensive than these readers.

The newer models support a new protocol called CANbus -- if you can get one of those, it would be forward compatible (I think CAN will be required in a couple of years), although some cars already have it. Might as well buy one that is future-ready...
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Thanks High Tech and TK...

I found one at a place called Mercedes Manuals, if you get a chance take a look and let me know what you think.... The link is below:

http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Merce.../cclassobd.htm
Old 07-31-2007, 11:00 PM

CLK 430
that reader looks like the ones they use at autozone, which don't tell all the codes, atleast not for Audi's, so I would assume MB as well. I know the good ones use a vag com cable, software, and a laptop. Those are the good ones, but those are pricey and hard to find at a good deal. But thats all the knowledge I have on code readers.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Thanks High Tech and TK...

I found one at a place called Mercedes Manuals, if you get a chance take a look and let me know what you think.... The link is below:

http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Merce.../cclassobd.htm
I've got one of those. It does exactly what it advertises. The price used to be a deal, now it's on par with with everyone else. The price on that reader has gone up 60% in the past few years.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by MarcusF
I've got one of those. It does exactly what it advertises. The price used to be a deal, now it's on par with with everyone else. The price on that reader has gone up 60% in the past few years.
Hey Marcus,

Does it really give the MB specific codes or just the generic ones like the others?

The price seems okay, much better than having to give the dealership money for an hour of labor just to clear a code.

As an aside, do you know where this is on our W208's:

ABS motor under the hood, behind the driver's side headlight.

Last edited by Ghostrider; 08-01-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Hey Marcus,

Does it really give the MB specific codes or just the generic ones like the others?

The price seems okay, much better than having to give the dealership money for an hour of labor just to clear a code.

As an aside, do you know where this is on our W208's:

ABS motor under the hood, behind the driver's side headlight.
It's a generic OBDII code reader. I don't think specific codes are available with that reader.

The ABS pump on my car is exactly where you said. There are a number of brake likes going to/from it.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
It's a generic OBDII code reader. I don't think specific codes are available with that reader.

The ABS pump on my car is exactly where you said. There are a number of brake likes going to/from it.
Which means I would be in the same position getting this one or one of the others that do they same thing but cost less... Which I think is what you were saying before, right?

Thanks again...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
The Holy Grail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Thanks Thrill....

I love the way you illustrated the great divide in these products.

By the way, if anyone wants to go in on this, I got the shipping all the way!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Which means I would be in the same position getting this one or one of the others that do they same thing but cost less... Which I think is what you were saying before, right?

Thanks again...
Yes. Basically any OBDII generic reader with a cable interface for a J1962 will do the same job. I only paid $50 for mine, and like I said, I have the exact same reader. You would think that over time the price would go down. They're just generic readers. And people call dealers - stealerships?OBD I readers are available at Summit for $25. Of course, Summit wants $130 for an OBDII reader. There are actually kits available on the Internet to BUILD a code reader for cheap. You'll need an old laptop, but any cheapskate who wants to build a $15 code reader probably has an old laptop.

Tell you what, give me $60 and you can have my current code reader. It works fine - exactly as it did the day I took it out of the box. Perfect condition. That price includes shipping it anywhere in the continental US (Hawaii will be $50 + shipping). I'll take your money, toss in another $120, send Digimoto $180, and we'll both be happy.

Of course, as soon as you go to the Digimoto website, you won't want my lousy, cheap, feature-free, low tech, does the job as advertised but it's still junk, scanner.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yes. Basically any OBDII generic reader with a cable interface for a J1962 will do the same job. I only paid $50 for mine, and like I said, I have the exact same reader. You would think that over time the price would go down. They're just generic readers. And people call dealers - stealerships?OBD I readers are available at Summit for $25. Of course, Summit wants $130 for an OBDII reader. There are actually kits available on the Internet to BUILD a code reader for cheap. You'll need an old laptop, but any cheapskate who wants to build a $15 code reader probably has an old laptop.

Tell you what, give me $60 and you can have my current code reader. It works fine - exactly as it did the day I took it out of the box. Perfect condition. That price includes shipping it anywhere in the continental US (Hawaii will be $50 + shipping). I'll take your money, toss in another $120, send Digimoto $180, and we'll both be happy.

Of course, as soon as you go to the Digimoto website, you won't want my lousy, cheap, feature-free, low tech, does the job as advertised but it's still junk, scanner.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM

2000 CLK 430
Bump

anyone ever hear of or use this?

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

any other recommendations?
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by wnycec
anyone ever hear of or use this?

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

any other recommendations?
There are some that like the Nology tool. It's kind of pricey though...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:25 PM

E350 coupe
Red face

Originally Posted by High Technology
I also have the Actron -- CP9135 in my case. Works well -- gave me the codes that I translated here for a bad MAF, which I did myself in a few minutes. My labor savings alone paid for the unit, and I plug it in every 6 months and it happily reports no codes found. I think this one is on clearance at Pep Boys (I got mine on ebay two years back).

It also gave me an O2 sensor code about a year-and-a-half ago, which I didn't have the patience to do myself, so I took it to the dealer for that one. I told them what I thought was wrong, and it was right on with what STAR said.

Most of the aftermarket ones read the basic OBD codes for the engine/emissions sensors. Get one that resets the Check Engine light -- otherwise you won't know if you fixed the problem. The aftermarket tools won't read the extended codes that the STAR system reads (airbags, other electronic systems) -- you would need a Mercedes specific tool/software which is over 10 times more expensive than these readers.

The newer models support a new protocol called CANbus -- if you can get one of those, it would be forward compatible (I think CAN will be required in a couple of years), although some cars already have it. Might as well buy one that is future-ready...
Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me if this one is any good? I just purchased it but I think it's possibly the wrong code scanner for my car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380367004391
If it's wrong what about these?
http://www.diydiagnostics.com/