CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How to replace the dashboard light bulbs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 230
How to replace the dashboard light bulbs

Sorry for the noobie question, and if the question has been asked before in this board. I searched all over the forum, but nothing goes beyond removing the comand with a comand key (which I have already).

The left light bulb in dashboard is gone, pretty much completely darkening the left passenger temperature control wheel. After removing the car stereo I couldn't find any viable way for gently removing the trim.

Anyone has any idea on how to remove the dashboard, or at least on how to replace the bulb?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Happy owner of '98 CLK 320
There is a post somewhere describing how to install chrome rings in the dashboard. In that post is a very good description of how to disasemble the dashboard.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

2002 CLK 230
Thanks for the tip. I looked for chrome rings and I believe you were referring to the following post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/215812-chrome-gauge-rings.html

The excellent pdf referred in the thread is for the removal of the instrument cluster. I was actually referring to the upper dashboard in the center console, right beneath the central vents.

I really hope that replacing the bulb means taking the whole dash out. Anyone has ever done it before?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 / E500
Left passenger control? Would that mean the vents in the center of the car? Or do you have a right hand drive car which means the control by the window for the passenger.

Filling out your profile will help people answer your questions better. Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM

2002 CLK 230
Thanks for the reply, and for the welcome .

My car is a 2001 w208 CLK 230 Kompressor Avantgarde. I've just bought it, and I'm trying to fix some small problems like the dash one. I don't have a picture of the car, but I will take care of it eventually.

The picture attached, however, is a fairly good example of the my car's layout. The dash part just above the car stereo is where I need to replace the bulbs (i'm planning to replace both....you'll never know). Once I take out the radio there isn't an intuitive way to remove the upper trim as well, nor I'm able to reach blindly the lamp connector, if in fact they are accessible from the back.

I know that this climate control (mechanical wheel) is quite peculiar seeing the most people in this board seemingly use an electronic climate control, but is there anyone with a similar setup that can help me?
Attached Thumbnails How to replace the dashboard light bulbs-50ae_27.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 / E500
Sorry I can't help much, I have seen these types of controls, but you must not be in North America because ours are electronic instead of the dials which you have. Also, you have cloth seats which I don't think you can get here in North America.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 AM

2002 CLK 230
Just FYI for whomever incurred in the same problem:

The lamp on the central dashboard in embedded in the fan speed controlling knob. You will need to take the knob out by using a plastic lever (or if you're careful enough a flat screwdriver), push aside the small protective flap, and extract the small 1,2 Watt lamp with a long-neck plier.

If you really need to take the entire panel off for whatever reason, you'll just need to lever it from the bottom side of the trim until it comes out. You'll need to apply some force in order to do this, but it will pop out eventually.