CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cannot turn off ABS BAS ESP warning light off

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by polarbreeze
I know this is an old thread but anyhow... I accidentally pulled the ABS fuse when I was troubleshooting something totally unrelated. I put it straight back but since then the ABS warning light is stuck on. I suppose it needs to be reset somehow because I'm sure there's no actual fault. Anyone know what the trick is? CLK320 2000 W208. Thanks!
When you removed the fuse, power was interrupted to the ABS/ESP controller and it needs to be reset (e.g. same as what happens when you disconnect the vehicle battery).

To reset, with the engine running, turn the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right and the malfunction lamp should go out.
The following users liked this post:
polarbreeze (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Originally Posted by Serndipity
To reset, with the engine running, turn the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right and the malfunction lamp should go out.
That did it - thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:37 PM

w208
I think it worked

First thank you everyone for all the input for me to find to begin with.

i replaced the break stop switch, did the wheel thing (left, right, etc etc ) turned car off then turned it on and lights were still on, decided to drive off anyway. When I got to destination lights went off. Just got back home and haven’t come on again since they went off. Will update if anything changes.

Thank you again for saving me a bunch of money and a bunch of time.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:13 PM

2001 Mercedes Benz Clk320 Coupe
Possible solution

Originally Posted by aarroyo87
Here is what I did so far
  1. Replaced brake switch
  2. Turned engine on
  3. Turned steering wheel from far left to far right then to the middle
  4. Turned car off and pulled key
  5. Restarted car
  6. Warning lights still there
Then I disconnected the battery and did the above again without success. Any one else have any ideas besides taking it to the dealer? It is not affecting the drivability but it sure is annoying. Any assistance is appreciated.

Albert
San Francisco CA
I am not an expert by any means but I did just experience the same issue. The way that I solved it was by reinstalling the original one that I attempted to replace with one I got at autozone which was not OEM replacement but their best guess to what is compatible with the vehicle. Trick is you must turn the wheel all the way to the right and then all the way left and the lights should clear. If they do then click the ignition off then you will see the malfunctions still present but once you power the vehicle back on and off that should clear.You may have to repeat this process a few times. This should clear the code unless the brake light switch has in fact fouled out in which case you must go with the mb OEM replacement part. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 PM

E430
OK

Last edited by Juss Tamm; 08-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:12 PM

2001 E430
AMGMB, My alignment seems fine. The tires are wearing evenly and it does not pull left nor right. It maybe slightly off but I'm not sure it would cause the light to be on. Did you car have symtoms of a bad alignment?
yes slightly off makes a difference, all the way to 1.5 degrees due the the electrical steering system. Even if you are slightly off go somewhere and have them put it to center.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 PM

2000 Mercedes c230
Got the answer to BAS ESP light to go out...lol

Go to hardware store and buy a roll of black 1/2 to 3/4 inch electrical tape, cut a strip about 1 inch off the roll and proceed to place it over annoying light..
Wala problem fixed!
Old 12-18-2021, 12:42 PM

Mersedes C300
Abs esp problems

• [QUOTE=marcomassimi;4256384]My wife drives a C230K

I get that BAS ABS ESP message every time I'm driving the car. When my wife drives, she never gets it. Clearly it happens when I adjust my seat down (not back, I mean sinking the seat down with the lever on the left of the seat). As soon as my wife gets back in the car, adjusts the seat back up it all goes away.

There is definitely something wrong with the harness underneath the driver's seat. So I decided to test this theory. I drove with my seat jacked up. Sure enough, I did not get the message.

I disconnected and reconnected all the harnesses under the seat one day, making sure all the connections were good. The problem went away for 2 weeks, until once again reappearing.

So I would look into that harness before attempting any more pricey fixes.[/QUOTE

Thank you Marco, I did everything like you said and problem disappeared, just move drivers seat up and tried driving my car around couple miles and no more messages!!!😆
Old 02-13-2022, 05:28 PM

2009 mercedes e350 4matic
Abs reset no code

same thing happen to me no code to reset but I just fixed it turn the car off and pump the brakes till it becomes tight to press. Then remove your foot of brake then turn the car on see if the error goes away it did on mines might only be a temporary fix

Just an FYI - i had the ESP / SPS control module rebuilt and i still have the damn light on.
Here is what I have tried so far.
1. Replace brake light switch
2. Rebuilt ESP / SPS control module
3. Turned steering wheel side to side
4. Speed sensor tested fine according to my mechanic
5. Connectivity to speed sensor tested fine also.

Any other steps i sould take to figure this out?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 430
ABS/BAS/ESP warning light logic thinking

Hi, recently had the abs/esp/bas warning lights come on my 2001 clk430 convertible when I broke traction with my inside left rear wheel turning out of a junction, they basically come on now as soon as I turn the ignition on or start the car. Tried the reset of turning the wheel lock to lock even after a battery disconnect, didn't work. Pulled the brake light switch out, disassembled and tested electrically, see my thread for details. All ok and brake lights operate as normal and brakes seem to be operating as normal but obviously no ABS at present. The cruise control still operates correctly which makes me think the speed sensors are ok. Tried to get the car code scanned but I live in rural area and the two independent garages couldn't access the abs/esp module which is pin 6 from memory on the 38 pin round diagnostic port. I have the icarsoft 38 round to obd2 multiplexer adapter but although it gets me into some of the body modules doesn't access the abs/esp module. My semi logical brain is pointing to the yaw sensor hopefully and then to the actual esp module. I'll try and get it star scanned if possible. Any help would be appreciated. 😊
Old 02-23-2022, 02:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK 430
All good found low supply voltage at abs pump but good voltage at relay behind main fuse box, noticed non genuine electrical tape on loom, jiggled the wires around and all the lights have gone out . Need to take apart and do a proper job instead of the bodge at present.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 PM

Mercedes-benz e430 1998 W210
ABS BAS ESP STAYS ON 2002 MB E430

Here is what I did so far
  1. Replaced brake switch
  2. Turned engine on
  3. Turned steering wheel from far left to far right then to the middle
  4. Turned car off and pulled key
  5. Restarted car
  6. Warning lights still there
Then I disconnected the battery and did the above again without success. Any one else have any ideas besides taking it to the dealer? It is not affecting the drivability but it sure is annoying. Any assistance is appreciated.

Albert
San Francisco CA

Hey bro I'm wondering did you ever find the issue with this problem?if so what was it?
I have same issue abs bas esp light stays on.
I got reg diag scanner no codes. Then had a mech with espensive scanner read abs and dtc codes left speed swnsor, right upper o2, oil sensor.
now I know o2 and oil sensor has nothing to do with abs but I still changed them out.
Plus changed speed sensor, brake stop switch checked all fuse and relays. I even changed out the abs pump module with pressure switch.
I still have abs bas esp light on. Oh yeah even did reset by turning steering wheel all the left then right and stuff like that. Still lights on.
Now I know if ant speed sensor out I would not have cruise control now I do bc I changed left speed sensor.
I know if brake stop switch bad I would not have brake lights and or 3rd light but I do.
i do t think it's steering wheel angle bc that code would have popped up correct?
I'm a little stumped at this one I think k now electric wire from abs module to dash somewhere is shorting out somewhere.
I believe this bc my horrn fuse which also known as(fanfare) fuse keeps blowing.
If you or anyone help in my situation? Thanks
Old 06-23-2022, 06:42 PM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by marcomassimi
My wife drives a C230K

I get that BAS ABS ESP message every time I'm driving the car. When my wife drives, she never gets it. Clearly it happens when I adjust my seat down (not back, I mean sinking the seat down with the lever on the left of the seat). As soon as my wife gets back in the car, adjusts the seat back up it all goes away.

There is definitely something wrong with the harness underneath the driver's seat. So I decided to test this theory. I drove with my seat jacked up. Sure enough, I did not get the message.

I disconnected and reconnected all the harnesses under the seat one day, making sure all the connections were good. The problem went away for 2 weeks, until once again reappearing.

So I would look into that harness before attempting any more pricey fixes.
New here. Been browsing for a few months after I bought my 01 CLK 320.

Had this same problem, replaced switch, checked fuses, bulbs etc, and I’m pretty sure I read a previous thread where you stated this fix with the seat, and it worked for me (thanks btw). Light went away when I changed seat positions.

Definitely worth trying.