CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Spacers make weird noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz CLK430
Spacers make weird noise?

I just bought 9mm spacers today for my rear wheels and dont no why the passenger rear wheel makes a lot of noise? Is there anything i can do to stop the noise? LOVING the look of the car with them on but they sound weird. Had other spacers on before too but they all for some reason make noise on the passenger rear wheel? Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM

2002 clk430
I don't have spacers as of yet but tell all the info like what kind of spacer, bolt length etc to help people solve your problem
Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM

i think they are H&R spacers. 9mm is what the guy said and i dont have my stock bolts on because when i put them on the car wont drive meaning when i put it in R or D it wont go. Seems like something is stopping it from going and so i put shorter bolts that were good (dont no the size) and now its making noise on the passenger rear wheel? I hope thats enough info and thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
im about to get 15 mm spacer by HR..now hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!
ask a1ek, he has spacers and i dont think he has any probs
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 PM

2002 clk430
I would take the wheel and spacer off check everything then reinstall everything making sure its bolted up fine and see if you have the same problem
Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 PM

i checked it like 4 times. When i dont put the pacer on that side its fine even tho the other side one has one. bolts and everything is okay but dont get what can be the problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:56 PM

2002 clk430
swap eveything from one side to the next spacers and bolts to eliminate having a defective spacer . If the probem still exist this may still be your problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ing-sound.html
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 AM

1999 CLK320
What kind of noise are you hearing? The lugs may be too long.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM

sounds like you went right into the parking brake springs.
its inside the hub. if you tried and the bolts wont let the car move in drive or reverse the tip of the bolts were hitting the parking pads or springs. i would take the hub off and check to see if you need to realigne the shoes.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM

it didnt let me drive when i had the bigger bolts but since i got smaller ones its okay. With my old spacers i used to hear click click click but now since i put bigger ones i hear the spacers rubbing against the wheels and it just got really loud today!? its like shnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn really really loud!!????
Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by AMGMB
it didnt let me drive when i had the bigger bolts but since i got smaller ones its okay. With my old spacers i used to hear click click click but now since i put bigger ones i hear the spacers rubbing against the wheels and it just got really loud today!? its like shnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn really really loud!!????
Ok from reading your comments I see two major probelms here and you need to take imediate action before you do your car damage. !

Firstly the 'Click-Click-click' sound is probably due to the fact that the bolts that you used for the 9mm spacers were too long and going into the hub and touching the parking shoes (as someone has already mentioned). When fitting the wheel bolts you should only need to screw them onto the hub about 4 turns. Depending on how far the bolts have gone into the hub, you may or maynot have got away with damaging the shoes. Remove your hub and check to see as you could possibly have something broken off inside that we rattle around. Your actual rear breaks and discs (the pedal break) would not be affected and if your hub is fine then get shorter bolts or cut them down.

Secondly you mentioned that the spacers are making a rubbing noise againts the wheel? This is unlikely, the spacer is a solid piece of metal and should not give any probelms. The fact that you no longer hear 'click click click' is probably due to the fact that your larger spacer is not allowing the bolt to enter the hub as deep and therefore not hitting the internal brake assembly. However the rubbing you are hearing is much more likely to be the wheel itself and not the spacer rubbing either on the brake sheild or lining of the wheel arch as your wheel is now 9mm further out of its original position. I would jack up the car and spin the wheel by hand having a good look to see if there is anything rubbing.

Wheel spacers can give a really nice addition to your car, but you have to be carefull that they are installed correctly.! go easy....
Attached Thumbnails Spacers make weird noise?-15mm-20delta-20mics-20spacer-20-2812-29.jpg   Spacers make weird noise?-badges2.jpg  

Last edited by A1EK; 06-23-2009 at 05:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ahmed (04-29-2021)
Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

1999 CLK320
^ What are the length of your rear bolts?
Old 06-25-2009, 02:27 PM

So i jacked up my car and took off both rear wheels and found out that it wasnt the spacer or the wheels making the noise because when i spinned the rotor by hand the noise was coming from there! The front ones make no noise and the rear driver side doesnt either but the passenger rear makes a noise like something is rubbing against it?! What do you guys think it can be?? And thanks a lot for the help btw
Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Originally Posted by AMGMB
So i jacked up my car and took off both rear wheels and found out that it wasnt the spacer or the wheels making the noise because when i spinned the rotor by hand the noise was coming from there! The front ones make no noise and the rear driver side doesnt either but the passenger rear makes a noise like something is rubbing against it?! What do you guys think it can be?? And thanks a lot for the help btw

With all due respect READ what I said on my first comment. It WILL NOT be the spacer as the spacer physically cannot rub on anything to make a noise as it will be intergral to the hub. And as you have ruled out the possibility of the tyre rubbing on the metal, then it is most likely that you have damaged the internal brake mechanism inside that works the footbrake when you used bolts that were too long. As I metioned before, you should have removed the hub before going any further to investigate what has been damaged and replace it.
Ahmed (04-29-2021)
Old 06-25-2009, 05:30 PM

2002 Clk 430, 09 X5
Originally Posted by vizionclk430
swap eveything from one side to the next spacers and bolts to eliminate having a defective spacer . If the probem still exist this may still be your problem.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ing-sound.html
read that post as i have answered ur question in there...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
Hi guys, I'm from the W203 forum and I have a C32. Yesterday I installed 10mm rear spacers. The stock lug bolts are listed as 40mm on ECS so I bought 50mm from them. After installing the spacers with the new bolts, my rear left wheel makes a tapping sound while it revolves.

While going like under 5 mph, it sounds like it makes 4 tapping sounds and then pause every revolution. Does this sound like it's hitting the parking brake? And if so, do you think it's damaged based on the sound? I really don't have a clue as to how the parking brake works (or really brakes in general).

Any help is appreciated guys!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK 320 W208
???

Originally Posted by ez53436
Hi guys, I'm from the W203 forum and I have a C32. Yesterday I installed 10mm rear spacers. The stock lug bolts are listed as 40mm on ECS so I bought 50mm from them. After installing the spacers with the new bolts, my rear left wheel makes a tapping sound while it revolves.

While going like under 5 mph, it sounds like it makes 4 tapping sounds and then pause every revolution. Does this sound like it's hitting the parking brake? And if so, do you think it's damaged based on the sound? I really don't have a clue as to how the parking brake works (or really brakes in general).

Any help is appreciated guys!
Hmm and did you spin/ test if your wheels can spin freely before lowering it back down on the grownd?
It seems to be a common issue people not checking probery if wheels can spin freely without anything rubbing,,,,
The length of bolts for starters but my friend AE1K already posted and answered this quistions very very nicely, is simpel, to be safe add lengt og spacer size, 5mm add 5mm to the bolts simpel, and ur sure...

Now nobody can say if your brakes are damaged only an inspection of the brakes can reveal that, do they work?
If yes no damage done, if no then yes your brakes has been damaged, im sorry for the smile is just you guys seem to start modify before thinking, please be safe all of you,
brakes, tyres ect is all saftey issues I diffently dont want to be part of, I can advice yes and answer but I will if I see quistions like this...

Raise your car mate, spin the wheel check if any noise, if yes remove wheel bolts, is the noise still there?
GET your brakes inspected mate please.....
Ahmed (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 04:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Here you go. Always double check your bolts and components before putting back load on your suspension.