CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do you change a fog lamp?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 Cab
Question How do you change a fog lamp?

I have a 2000 CLK320 Cab and the passenger side fog lamp (driving lights) has gone out.
The owner manual shows how to change every bulb except for the fog lamp.

The light plug has a little latch that you lift in order to remove it. The question is do I pull out the plug or do I rotate clock wise? I tried both way, but the plug is in good. I just want to make sure before I try more force to remove the bulb.

Thanks for any help
Old 11-17-2001, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Once you get the plastic cover off the back of the foglamp, there is a metal clip/retainer that holds the bulb in. If the bulb doesn't unplug from the wire easily, don't force it or you will break the bulb. I have to tell you, I've fixed 3 CLK right-side foglamps, and 2 of those 3 times, the whole foglight assembly needed to be replaced, not just the bulb. You might just want to visit your dealer and have it fixed under warranty.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
CLK320, CLK350, & SL500
Squeeze together the ends of the "hair clip" away from the retainer slots and then pivot it outwards from the base. I prefer to use a surgical glove when handling replacement halogens etc. so as to not get contaminants on the surface (which will cause premature failure).

If you did have the mis-fortune of touching the new lamp, you may clean it with denatured alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol will also work in a pinch, but its absorption abilities create a higher water content... which in turn cause streaking... so it is not prefered for use in cleaning optics etc).

Installation of the new bulb is simply the reverse of taking it out... put the bulb in place, squeeze together the ends of the clip, and secure it into the bracket.

Paul
Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 2001 ML320
The wires of my clk320 2005's passenger fog light were missing from the lamp housing and I found one green wire hanging together with a bundle of wires near the coolant reservoir, but no brown wire. I am not sure it's the right wire for the fog lamp. Can you please look in your car and tell me how yours are wired. Thank you so much.