CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP CLK430- install brake light switch - stuck in park -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB CLK 430 and 04 Infiniti G35
Talking HELP CLK430- install brake light switch - stuck in park -

I was able to get my 430 out of park, (so proud of myself ) - even my husband was surprised - I know I need to replace my brake light switch - how do I do that?? Can someone help? also, is it very difficult. I really don't want to take it to the dealer..

I can't understand what happened though, I was pulling into my driveway and my ABS and ESP lights came one, scaring me - good grief, then put it in park, blah, blah, blah..

Thanks much
Cynt
Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 PM

1998 CLK 320
theres a DIY on here somewhere or Benzworld.org

I did it and its fairly easy

Its above where you put ur feet in the car

There is a black panel.

Remove the three screws and the panel should just come down

You look straight up and u will see the bottom of the brake light switch and this next step is very important

Make sure u press down and turn to get the brake light switch
I think its counter clockwise, I spent like an hr tryin to get it out cuz I forgot I had to press and turn at the same time.

The thing is with these cars after time the plastic becomes brittle and just breaks easy, trust me I also have a 2000 VW Jetta and taking off the door all these plastic things break easy and cost a lot to replace.

Just look for the DIY its fairly simple BUT

I did it to my car and the ABS BAS ESP light still stayed on.
I brought it to my mechanic who worked at BMW n Mercedes dealers and he took apart my whole CAN-BUS system and that my ESP unit was going and that light will stay on until I replace a new one which runs about $2,000

So good luck!!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM

2002 clk 320
my lights came on the other day as well. do this, it worked for me. i did a seach and found it. start the car, step on brake and hold it there. turn steering wheel all the way to the left hold it there for about 3 second then turn all the way to the right hold for 3 second then center the the wheels. let go brake and take keys out. insert key and start again. ABS ESP lights should then be off. good luck!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM

CLK 430, ML500
simple-vision's trick works perfect! thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG
heavy handed brake light fix

2002 CLK 55 cab - I tried to steering wheel turning procedure but the warning lights just kept coming back on as soon as I touched the brake pedal. In frustration I just grabbed the brake pedal itself with my right hand and pushed and pulled it up, down, in and out with a hefty force and the problem was fixed. I will be replacing the switch asap but as a quick solution this might work. Good luck everyone.

Update. I bought the brake light switch part at MB for $27.50 CDN. I approached the installation with some trepidation, but armed with my phillips screwdriver I got to it. As other posts indicate, this was the easiest fix imaginable. The most time consuming aspect is undoing the screws that hold the access panel in place. Once that panel drops down, the switch is right in front of you at eye level. It isn't buried under a bunch of wires or anything. All you have to do is reach in with your right hand, push in and turn clockwise (I think - but it will only turn one way regardless). Then unclip each of the two connectors on the switch - hint, unclip one at a time so you can tell where the one you have unclipped should go in the new switch. Then push the replacement switch into the socket that it came out of, turn it the opposite way it came out and presto! you're done. The packaging did give instructions about shims, and calibrating the switch but after doing this job I'm not sure how that procedure would be accomplished. Anyway, all my taillights & brake lights work correctly, and no dash warnings are indicated. Doing this job has given me the confidence that I can do small repairs on this tempermental beast, and peerhaps avoid the $360 + tax/hour MB shop rates in Vancouver.

Last edited by mully62; 11-20-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-04-2014, 04:28 PM

CLK320
Hmm, mine is CLK320 2000, around 80K miles. Got exact same problem. The ABS warning light came on while I was driving yesterday and continued to stay on for quite a while. There was no sign of performance of the brakes or anything. I decided to stop at a gas station, filled up the tank that was kind of low. After I turned the engine on, the ABS light did not come on any more. But I guess I need to do something here. Hope the trick here works for me too.

Also, I *occasionally* saw a warning that one of the bulbs was out. I checked but everything looked just fine.

Hmm, just wonder.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM

2003 clk320 cabrio
the switch is a super easy fix and not really expensive... at the dealer the switch is around 35 dollars. aftermarket (advance, autozone, etc.) its around 30.... for that price i went oem and bought an extra to keep in the glove just in case
Old 08-28-2015, 08:41 AM

2015 E350 2002 CLK430
Hey All. Ive bee reading pages and pages in the forum on shifter stuck in park. Have similar issue... replaced Brakelight solenoid and still stuck. Bottom line just wanted to share that it all points to the shifter assembly for me. The dealer part in NY is $1250 alone...good news is this link http://www.bba-reman.com is a company in boston that will remanaufacture your assembly completly with lifetime warrnty for $250.. If they find its not broken its only a $35 bench fee. Great find for me hope it helps you.. They even schdule the ups pickup for you and turned it around to me in less than 5 days. Big savings... Had to share .. ps they remanufacture alot of MB electronic parts.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:21 PM

2002 CLK55, 1993 190E, 1975 230C, 2007 E350
Easy fix. Just finished it. Remember that if your lights are still on to do the brake on, left all the way, wait, right all the way, wait, center and let off the brake and cycle ignition. Thanks for the info. Feel like I accomplished something today.