CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

w208 windows won't roll up after battery died

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 clk320
w208 windows won't roll up after battery died

Today after replacing my battery I rolled down the window to talk to someone and they wouldn't roll back up. What is the procedure to get it back on track. I read somewhere in this forum if the window is up but mine is all the way down, I tried the passengers and it goes down but not up. Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Probably try to sync them by pushing and holding the down buttons until you hear a click.(opposite of synching them in the normal fashion).
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
resynch'g

the windows, seats, ESP, and sunroof after disconnecting the battery.
  • Press the power window "up switch" until the window is completely closed, and hold it for additional 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure for each window.
  • Put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. Move the seat completely forward and the head rest fully down, and hold both buttons for approximately 2 seconds. Do this for both seats
  • Start the car. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. This will clear the electronic stability program error.
  • Put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. With the sunroof closed, push the sunroof switch up until the sunroof is completely raised at rear, and hold the switch for additional second.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Yup. Those are the instructions, alright. Unfortunately, as the OP stated, windows will no go up from down position
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 AM

2000 clk320
w208 windows stuck in the down position

Yes they are in the down position and of course i am trying to fix them before I have to go to a conference on Thursday.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
Are you trying to use the auto-up feature? The windows will go up but you have to press the window switch without activating the auto-up feature. This is done by pressing the button down about half to 3 quarters I think. The window should go up then and then you can do the window reset once the window is all the way up to the top. I had the same problem and ran around for half a day till I realized what I was doing. Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Maybe try reinstalling your battery...

The proper way to disconnect is: POSITIVE first, then NEGATIVE. Reinstall in the reverse order; NEGATIVE first, POSITIVE second. If you ever need to change out the battery, following this procedure will yield you no resetting time for anything.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 mb clk320
hi marcus,
how about a cabriolet reset after a battery change?
regards, bill
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 AM

2000 CLK 430 convertible
Originally Posted by MarcusF
the windows, seats, ESP, and sunroof after disconnecting the battery.
  • Press the power window "up switch" until the window is completely closed, and hold it for additional 2 seconds. Repeat this procedure for each window.
  • Put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. Move the seat completely forward and the head rest fully down, and hold both buttons for approximately 2 seconds. Do this for both seats
  • Start the car. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. This will clear the electronic stability program error.
  • Put the key in the steering lock, and turn it to position 2. With the sunroof closed, push the sunroof switch up until the sunroof is completely raised at rear, and hold the switch for additional second.
Thank you, thank you thank you. When my front windows stopped working, I got worried that some inscrutable sensors needed to be investigated.
Turned out I just needed to follow your procedure.
The only change I had to make was to give the window switch a 3/4 up push rather than a full press. I'm sure there is a better way to describe the amount of "push" to use.

Last edited by MrEWorm; 07-10-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:31 PM

190e 2.6, 190E 3.2, 300ce, clk320, 320CE SportLine
Originally Posted by falls profet
Maybe try reinstalling your battery...

The proper way to disconnect is: POSITIVE first, then NEGATIVE. Reinstall in the reverse order; NEGATIVE first, POSITIVE second. If you ever need to change out the battery, following this procedure will yield you no resetting time for anything.
Put the positive on first, that way, you cannot short circuit the battery by accidently touching the body of the car with your spanner while tightening the positive terminal, as the negative is not yet connected.

Then connect/tighten the negative.

Always take the Negative off first, again, so as not to short against the body of the vehicle while loosening the positive with your spanner.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Well done.. Thought I would provide all the reset procedures I know as below to help:

A1EK’s Reset procedures for CLK 208:
Resetting car after battery fail:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is straight.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed (if you have one)
4. Make sure your parking brake is released.
6. Turn off your stereo and make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code.
7. Turn off your heat/AC blower
8. Turn off your lights
9. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.

Now, disconnect battery 30 secs and then reconnect.
Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory). Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this typr of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU
3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code.
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights.

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT, then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Throttle Reset

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (just before you start the engine).
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point...
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it.
6. Release gas pedal and wait 3 mins. Do nothing, you should here a click near key at 3 mins.
7. After the 3 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

Service Reset
Turn the car on to the 2nd key position, all the way ON, but do not start it.

- Then scroll through and find the A/B Service notification. Hold the "R" or reset button on the dash. After a few seconds a message will display on screen asking you if you would like to reset the service notification. Once this happens let off of the "R" button.

- Press and hold the "R" button one more time until the reset is complete.

Valve Reset:
(move valve with finger off 90degrees, turn key to 2nd position, let valve close and open, wait for "click", turn off key, turn back on for 45 secs during which time the valve will close and open again, key off (Not been able to make this work)
Trunk Release:
Remove drivers fuse panel, pull 4 fuses on left 7.5A and 5A, wait few secs and replace then try door unlock switch to see if it works, this will tell you if alarm is deactivated. If not try other fuses.
Passenger Mirror auto-dip reset:
1- Turn key to position 2
2- Select reverse, adjust mirror down so you can see kerb for reversing etc.
3- Press Green store button on drivers door control next to the seat adjustment for a couple of seconds, then within 3 secs press the mirror control again just once in any direction, mirror is now stored. Return to Gear shift to Park.
4- Wait 17 secs mirror will return to normal position.
5- Select reverse and test to make sure it dips ! DONE.
The following users liked this post:
burgca (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
A1EK, Great idea to put all the resets in one post!!
The following users liked this post:
booesq (09-28-2016)
Old 03-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1998 CLK320 Coupe, 1999 CLK320 Coupe, 2009 C300 6-speed, 2000 SLK230 Designo
Bumping this old thread vs. starting another. A friend just took delivery of a new-to-him 2000 CLK320 convertible. Battery failed while on the truck en route, and truck driver jumped the car to get it off the trailer. My friend put the windows down, but they won't roll up. Want to make sure we are doing the reset method correctly before we assume any damage.

Every reset guide I can find starts with "make sure the windows are rolled up." Okay, but the windows are stuck down. So what do we do?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2021, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1998 CLK320 Coupe, 1999 CLK320 Coupe, 2009 C300 6-speed, 2000 SLK230 Designo
I just answered my own question: The half-push worked to get them up. Performed the 3-second hold after that. Did the trick.

The radio is also not powering on . . .
Old 01-03-2022, 03:58 PM

clk 320
Hi, I have a clk320 yr 2000. after charging the battery using a mains charger then closing the trunk it is now stuck closed. i cannot open the windows or trunk or move the mirrors using the centre console. There is now power.
I cannot open then trunk using the mechanical key (I’ve used wd40, lubricant etc) as the cylinder does not rotate in any direction.

i can open and close the windows using the key fob only.

my assessment is that it’s ECU thinks the car is breached in security.

any help on how to get to trunk?