CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

MISFIRE CYLINDER 5 . PLEASE HELP ME

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320 (2001) and 2015 GTR
Angry MISFIRE CYLINDER 5 . PLEASE HELP ME

i FREAKING SPENT 14 HOURS AT THE SHOP (2 DAYS)AND THEY CANT FIGURE THIS **** OUT AND IM ABOUT TO HIT THE DEALER AND GET IT OVER WITH.
ITS RIDICULOUS.
THEY PLUGGED THAT DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS AND SAID MISFIRE CYLINDER 5, ERROR.
THEN WE DROVE IT AND PLUGGED THIS HIGH TECH DEVICES AND SHOWED MISFIRED ON ALL LIKE 1-3 TIMES BUT NUMBER 5 , 7 TIMES.
WHAT COULD IT BE?
THEY HAVE CHECKED EVERY PLUGS, COIL, CABLE, TOOK THE PRESSURE OF EACH CYLINDER, AND CHECK FOR VACCUM LEAK IN EACH CYCLINDER.
THEY HAVE CHECKED ALSO THE FUEL INJECTORS
ONE DUDE SAID IT COULD BE THE FUEL RAILING OR ITS THE ECU.
I HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR 5 YEARS AND NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. THIS IS MY FIRST.
ONE LAST THING, THEY SAID TO DRIVE IT AND TILL I EMPTY THE GAS TANK.
THEY TOOK SOME GAS OUT OF THE TANK AND THEY LET IT SIT AND NOTICED THAT THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE GAS MIXED WITH SOMETHING LIKE WATER OR DIESEL OR WHATEVER IT IS. IT WAS KINDA DARK GREY OVER THE FUEL.
THEY WANT ME TO PUT NEW GAS FROM DIFF GAS STATION AND IF NOT, SEE THE DEALER.
ANY ADVICES PLEASE AND I THANK U FOR ANYTHING THAT U MAY PROVIDE ME.
IM SOOOOOOOOO UPSET.

PS: THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND ITS HESITATING AND THE CAR FEELS ITS KINDA CHOCKED,.
WHEN U ARE AT A DEAD STOP ON D, THE POWER DIMES IN AND OUT .
Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
i FREAKING SPENT 14 HOURS AT THE SHOP (2 DAYS)AND THEY CANT FIGURE THIS **** OUT AND IM ABOUT TO HIT THE DEALER AND GET IT OVER WITH.
ITS RIDICULOUS.
THEY PLUGGED THAT DIAGNOSTIC TOOLS AND SAID MISFIRE CYLINDER 5, ERROR.
THEN WE DROVE IT AND PLUGGED THIS HIGH TECH DEVICES AND SHOWED MISFIRED ON ALL LIKE 1-3 TIMES BUT NUMBER 5 , 7 TIMES.
WHAT COULD IT BE?
THEY HAVE CHECKED EVERY PLUGS, COIL, CABLE, TOOK THE PRESSURE OF EACH CYLINDER, AND CHECK FOR VACCUM LEAK IN EACH CYCLINDER.
ONE DUDE SAID IT COULD BE THE FUEL RAILING OR ITS THE ECU.
I HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR 5 YEARS AND NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. THIS IS MY FIRST.
ONE LAST THING, THEY SAID TO DRIVE IT AND TILL I EMPTY THE GAS TANK.
THEY TOOK SOME GAS OUT OF THE TANK AND THEY LET IT SIT AND NOTICED THAT THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE GAS MIXED WITH SOMETHING LIKE WATER OR DIESEL OR WHATEVER IT IS. IT WAS KINDA DARK GREY OVER THE FUEL.
THEY WANT ME TO PUT NEW GAS FROM DIFF GAS STATION AND IF NOT, SEE THE DEALER.
ANY ADVICES PLEASE AND I THANK U FOR ANYTHING THAT U MAY PROVIDE ME.
IM SOOOOOOOOO UPSET.

PS: THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND ITS HESITATING AND THE CAR FEELS ITS KINDA CHOCKED,.
WHEN U ARE AT A DEAD STOP ON D, THE POWER DIMES IN AND OUT .
Try and clean the engine with some SeaFoam.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ghostrider@P1 Performance
Try and clean the engine with some SeaFoam.
I just used seaFoam in the tank.... is that what u meant?
or there is seaFoam for the engine? if so, where do u put it in the engine ghost?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

CLK430
Originally Posted by big_mike1979
I just used seaFoam in the tank.... is that what u meant?
or there is seaFoam for the engine? if so, where do u put it in the engine ghost?
Yeah, use the passenger side vacuum hose on top of the valve cover. Follow the instructions and there are some videos on youtube.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 AM

2002 CLK320 Sport Coupe
Personally I would change out the MAF, I had the same codes on mine and one cylinder would shut off during acceleration. Check the codes and it would come back the same as yours 1-3 or 5. I ordered a new MAF from Autohaus AZ swapped it out and have not had the problem come back since.

Back story - I took my car to my independent who is normally great, they changed out the plug wiring harness, all coil packs, spark plugs and motor mounts over a 3 month period trying to figure it out. I read some posts here and decided I was going to replace the MAF and then the CPS after if that didn't work.
MAF worked so I stopped. At least I have new plugs, harness, coils and motor mounts now though.

Anyone else think this could be the MAF too?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
I do. I would aso get som fuel stabilizer and add it if you are not going to drain the tank.

how did they check them? did they check the filter?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jwpimp_f
Personally I would change out the MAF, I had the same codes on mine and one cylinder would shut off during acceleration. Check the codes and it would come back the same as yours 1-3 or 5. I ordered a new MAF from Autohaus AZ swapped it out and have not had the problem come back since.

Back story - I took my car to my independent who is normally great, they changed out the plug wiring harness, all coil packs, spark plugs and motor mounts over a 3 month period trying to figure it out. I read some posts here and decided I was going to replace the MAF and then the CPS after if that didn't work.
MAF worked so I stopped. At least I have new plugs, harness, coils and motor mounts now though.

I changed it b4 back in 2007 or so.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by insame1
I do. I would aso get som fuel stabilizer and add it if you are not going to drain the tank.

how did they check them? did they check the filter?
im going to drain the tank
Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Mike, where was the last time you put gas in your car? Think you got some bad gas and need to put some fuel stablizer and put some premium gas into it. If it still a problem, go with changing the MAF/CPS.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by novae500
Mike, where was the last time you put gas in your car? Think you got some bad gas and need to put some fuel stablizer and put some premium gas into it. If it still a problem, go with changing the MAF/CPS.
i put the gas a week ago b4 i went competing and car was running fine.
came back sunday and went to jasons house and it started.
Sunday night, i had to put gas and now i think its dirty but i dunno.
i put some stuff into my gas to clean it up and drove to md for 80 miles and probs still there.
got the maf cleaner and cleaned it and still there.
2morrow morning, gonna change the cps and see what happens.

now i got half tank left.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
CPS shouldnt have anything to do with this problem IMO. Where did you get that gas? Same place that you normally do? Did you put premium in? My vote is for the MAF sensor as well.

John
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by unlukky
CPS shouldnt have anything to do with this problem IMO. Where did you get that gas? Same place that you normally do? Did you put premium in? My vote is for the MAF sensor as well.

John
i changed the cps and it was not it.. its same gas as i usually do and this time i put medium .
my MAF was replaced like 2 years ago.
2day, i turned the car on and blue smoke came out and i remember reading somewhere that the fuel is dirty and the filter is clogged.
gonna drain the tank and change the filter
Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 AM

2001 clk 320
I bet its the gas
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

drained the gas and put new fuel and new filter and prob still there
Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 AM

02 CLK430
I would try another MAF or just the sensor portion of it. If you remove the two security torx screws ad pull the whole element out, you will see a bosch number on it. Do a search on the net under that part number and you should be able to find the just the element piece for sale.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

another update:
new MAF and did not work.
new CPS sensor and did not work.
drained the gas tank and new fuel and new fuel filter and did not work.
inject fuel has been tested and fine.
coils, plugs, cable all has been tested and fine.
compression of the fuel and cylinder and fire , all has been tested and fine.
checked for all vaccum leak and fine.

I still have the misfire at 5000 rpm. under hard acceleration and above 4500 rpm it starts to misfire and continues to do so till i pull in and turn the car off and on again. it throws up an engine check light every time, and when i plug the car in it shows up a misfire on cylinder 5.

Dealer is monday at 9 am, so will keep u updated.

Last edited by big_mike1979; 05-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
hey hows it going bigmike. I dont know if i didn'y see it on the replies or just that no one mentioned, this has nothig to do with CPS or MAF. If they have already checked your injectors, coils, plugs and wires then it can only be two things, it is either your fuel pump or fuel filter. more than likely it is your fuel filter specially because you said that you used the seafoam stuff in your tank. what that doe is identical to Chevron Techron fuel cleaner. I had a very similar situation a few months ago. i am more than sure its not your pump. what happens is after you use cleaners it cleans the tank and the lines inbetween and all the crap goes right through your fuel filter and clugges it up. so you have to give it extra gas for the car to move because as you rev the fuel pump increases it's pressure as well which pushes the gas through the clugged up filter. even if you open the fuel rail knob on the front left of the engine and gas shoots out dont pay attention because that is the pressurised gas in the lines. do the following:

1.buy a fuel filter(buy from the dealer only its only $70 no aftermarket crap)
2.let your tank drain to almost empty
3.then buy a bottle of chevron techron for 12 gallon treatment and put it in your tank and then fill it up with gas.
4. drive the car until its around quarter tank of gas
5.when the car is cool lift up the back and on the passenger side rear around the differential you will see a plastic cover, there are 3 screws take those off and change the fuel filter.

i didnt get into the filter change process much because you just have to see it and you will realie how to do it, very easy job just one clamp and 3 hoses and thats it. if you have access to a lift it will be a 10 minute job and you won't eat gas. lol

best of luck
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
hey hows it going bigmike. I dont know if i didn'y see it on the replies or just that no one mentioned, this has nothig to do with CPS or MAF. If they have already checked your injectors, coils, plugs and wires then it can only be two things, it is either your fuel pump or fuel filter. more than likely it is your fuel filter specially because you said that you used the seafoam stuff in your tank. what that doe is identical to Chevron Techron fuel cleaner. I had a very similar situation a few months ago. i am more than sure its not your pump. what happens is after you use cleaners it cleans the tank and the lines inbetween and all the crap goes right through your fuel filter and clugges it up. so you have to give it extra gas for the car to move because as you rev the fuel pump increases it's pressure as well which pushes the gas through the clugged up filter. even if you open the fuel rail knob on the front left of the engine and gas shoots out dont pay attention because that is the pressurised gas in the lines. do the following:

1.buy a fuel filter(buy from the dealer only its only $70 no aftermarket crap)
2.let your tank drain to almost empty
3.then buy a bottle of chevron techron for 12 gallon treatment and put it in your tank and then fill it up with gas.
4. drive the car until its around quarter tank of gas
5.when the car is cool lift up the back and on the passenger side rear around the differential you will see a plastic cover, there are 3 screws take those off and change the fuel filter.

i didnt get into the filter change process much because you just have to see it and you will realie how to do it, very easy job just one clamp and 3 hoses and thats it. if you have access to a lift it will be a 10 minute job and you won't eat gas. lol

best of luck
Hello Ash. Hope all is well.
That what they did yesterday, what u described ^^^^^and that was their last resort b4 they gave up after one week.(they even put that cheveron , the black bottle and its concentrated)
Gonna see the dealer and pay that $200 to get it diag and see what is up with my car.
i called the dealer and he said it could the ignition module and its around $1140
i hope its not .
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
Good Luck buddy !!!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
as far as i know there is no ignition module because the engine harness goes from the ecu to the ignition coils and then wires and then plugs, but dont quote me. Do this, move your coil and wire from cylinder 5 and replace it with another cylinder's coil and wire. now drive the car and if the missfire is transfered to cylinder that you move the coil and wire to then your problem is the coil pack or the wire, if not the chances are you have way too much carbon buildup in cylinder 5 that the cleaning solutions cant desolve them and you have to have the head removed and cleaned with acid and stuff like that. i know you mentioned they tested the coil and wire but to be honest with you they cant test them with computer there is just no accurate way to do so with the computers that attach to the car.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

they move the coil pack as well from cylinder 5 to number 4 and still shows its cylinder 5. he did open up the cover of the cylinder and showed me the heads. he thinks something is up with the heads and its not right but he was not sure so he asked me to take it to dealer and get a second opinion. i ll keep u updated monday once i get the test results back from the dealer.

Last edited by big_mike1979; 05-08-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK W208
Then more than likely you have carbon buildup in your cylinder 5 and its more than the level that the solvants can desolve.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by VIPclk320
Then more than likely you have carbon buildup in your cylinder 5 and its more than the level that the solvants can desolve.
hope it wont cost a lot
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
Water is the best way to decarbon the engine, You can install a water vapor injection system that will do the job, which is your safest way and continually works all the time or you can tee into any intake manifold vacuum source and hook a vacuum hose to it, then have a glass of water and slowly I mean slowly suck water from the glass through the hose. You will want to have the engine RPM at around 1500 rpms.This will clean out even the most stubborn carbon, by 'steam cleaning' your cylinders.

Last edited by jbenz99; 05-08-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dealer thinks its my intake from behind the mass air sensor is leakin somewhere but i had that for 4 years. Dunno what to do..... ash. do u have that couplet that run from throttle body with that lil pipe on the side ?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MISFIRE CYLINDER 5 . PLEASE HELP ME