Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Coupes & Cabriolets > CLK-Class (W208)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Drives: 2001 CLK55 AMG
fuel sending unit gone bad

So a few days ago I filled up my tank and started my car and my fuel gauge was completely at zero, the might wasn't even on. drive home. a few hours later i go to drive the car but this time the gas says its full. now it just does whatever it feels like doing. i have done a little research and I am pretty sure that it is the fuel sending unit. I saw that it was like $700 to fix which is ridiculous. does anyone know a Do It Yourself for this project? that as what i was unable to find.
or anyone maybe have any quick easy fixes that don't need to replace the whole sending unit?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

xmatty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #2

Drives: MB CLK 320 2001
Hello All, I am glad that we have this kind of Questions and fast asnwer from MBWorld. My proplem that my fuel tank is full but the level front of the driver side is not reading it, its going up and down and once i start the car it showe its empty completly could you please advice me what I have to do, some adivce me that the fuel level sensor, I can not find it and I dont know if its the problem from it. could you please give me what I have to do my car is MB CLK 320 model 2001 by the way my car is for GCC waiting your reply soon
m.alhindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #3

Drives: CLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
Hi guys. I had the same problem with my 230K after 2 months of getting stuck in the garage with the tank empty and warning light on. When i took my car home and filled it up, the gauge intermittently read empty or full. The long and short of it is that my CLK is now with the dealers and they said they need to replace 2 fuel sending units plus my fuel pump :-( i think a DIY to replace the sending unit is difficult since i assume that these are inside the tank.
fullmetaljacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #4

Drives: CLK 230 Kompressor
This has happened to me a few times and I have managed to resolve the issue by putting in some injection cleaner into the fuel as sulphur can build on the contacts and prevent the reading. Use a good quality fuel/injection cleaner and give it a couple of weeks and see. You may need to add a couple of bottles to get it to work but it usually starts workign again.

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit,
no#1 pad front zero rear. Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt
badges, Parking sensors, colour coded grill, front flat lip, front eccentric camber bolts, Denso
Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, blue LED modified dash & interior.
A1EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #5

Drives: 2006 CLS500
xxUNLUKKYxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
This has happened to me a few times and I have managed to resolve the issue by putting in some injection cleaner into the fuel as sulphur can build on the contacts and prevent the reading. Use a good quality fuel/injection cleaner and give it a couple of weeks and see. You may need to add a couple of bottles to get it to work but it usually starts workign again.
I have also resolved a similar probllem with a fuel system cleaner and ensuring that I only run quality name brand gas. No Walmart fuel or Mom n Pop shops. No problems for 2+ years.

Silver/ Black; AMG appearance package
Resonator Delete
20" Mandrus Mannheim wheels

Looking for reasonable priced lowering module
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #6

Drives: 2001 CLK320, 2000 SL320 V6
Exactly - use a good quality high octane fuel. Also ensure you remove the ignition FOB key whilst you fill up - interfers with the computer
rorypff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #7

Drives: CLK 230 Kompressor
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
I have also resolved a similar probllem with a fuel system cleaner and ensuring that I only run quality name brand gas. No Walmart fuel or Mom n Pop shops. No problems for 2+ years.
definately, avoid cheap fuels (UK supermarket fuels), the grade is poor and the high suphlur seems to upset the fuel sender.

18x235x40 (8.5J) & 18x255x35 (9.5J) Brabus Monoblocks VI reps, Eibach Pro lowering kit,
no#1 pad front zero rear. Rolled arches,20mm rear spacers/15mm front, Flat emblem, Kompressor skirt
badges, Parking sensors, colour coded grill, front flat lip, front eccentric camber bolts, Denso
Irridium plugs, K&N filter, Sony ICE adapted to steering wheel buttons, blue LED modified dash & interior.
A1EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

Drives: 2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1EK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlukky View Post
Namely Chevron, to be specific. I always fill up with Chevron 91 and use the Techron concentrate every other oil change and never had any problems in my 9 years of driving.

If you're having problems with your gas gauge, try running the Techron concentrate through your tank a couple of times (heard somewhere it's not recommended to do it more than 3 times between oil changes). Read the back of the bottle to ensure you follow the procedure correctly; make sure you're putting the concentrate in first when you have a minimal of gas in the tank, and fill up as usual. Drive it like you stole it through that whole tank, rinse and repeat.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9

Drives: 2000 CLK 430
How does the key fob interfere with the fuel level? I haven't had any problems, and yesterday I filled up with the key in the ignition (not running) and my gauge stopped at 3/4, but I could not force any more gas into the tank. Will it reset itself at next fill? I'm waiting to see if it goes down correctly. I always buy Shell Premium 93 octane at the same station next to my house.

2000 CLK 430
2012 Nissan Murano
2003 Honda Aquatrax F-12
jonUF02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Tags
bad, build, car, clk, drive, driving, fuel, installation, mercedes, sender, sending, sensor, sulfur, tank, unit