CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Console dis-assembly to replace shifter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C300 Coupe, Brilliant Blue
Question Console dis-assembly to replace shifter

Hi there ! Just bought a 2000 CLK320 cabriolet, and I love it ! The car had one cosmetic problem that annoyed me - the shifter plate where it says "PRND" is discolored and bubbled. Looks like someone may have spilled coffee on it. I just went to Benz, and learned you can't buy just the top plate - it's a whole shifter assembly for $350. I went for it, as it was the only thing annoying on the car ...

Anyway, can someone supply a few pointers on getting off the shift knob, and taking off the console top plate to expose the shifter assembly ? Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend !
Old 06-27-2003, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Console dis-assembly to replace shifter

Originally posted by MikeZ
Hi there ! Just bought a 2000 CLK320 cabriolet, and I love it ! The car had one cosmetic problem that annoyed me - the shifter plate where it says "PRND" is discolored and bubbled. Looks like someone may have spilled coffee on it. I just went to Benz, and learned you can't buy just the top plate - it's a whole shifter assembly for $350. I went for it, as it was the only thing annoying on the car ...

Anyway, can someone supply a few pointers on getting off the shift knob, and taking off the console top plate to expose the shifter assembly ? Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend !
An alternative, that I think you would like better and definitely save you some money, is you can buy a chrome shift plate & a chrome shift bezel...

The shift bevel is that black trim around the shifter (the rectangular trim on the base) and the plate is the wood inside it.... you can replace both to be chrome, and it will look very good... cost for both combined is about $80-100.

You can check out www.performanceproducts.com, i believe they stock this item... that way, its a nice aesthetic upgrade, and save you money compared to replacing a stock one
Old 06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

actually, i just checked, and performance products don't carry it... you can go to Park Place Accessories instead... they have it for both models with(MY 00+) or without TouchShift (MY 98-99)...

Here is the chrome bezel only:

Here is the chrome plate only:

Here is the chrome plate & chrome bezel
Old 06-27-2003, 11:04 AM

No, this won't do it ...

The damaged part is the plate that actually reads "P-R-N-D". The covers over the surrounding area won't help. I did buy the new shifter assembly this morning, and am hoping someone has pointers on console dis-assembly - thanks !!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: No, this won't do it ...

Originally posted by MikeZ
The damaged part is the plate that actually reads "P-R-N-D". The covers over the surrounding area won't help. I did buy the new shifter assembly this morning, and am hoping someone has pointers on console dis-assembly - thanks !!
Sorry, my bad... i misunderstood the problem... but wow... that is an expensive piece... $350? but i guess that is for the whole assembly...

did you try getting it replaced under warranty? If i talked to my advisor about it, he'd probably make up some reason so it would be replaced under warranty...
Old 06-27-2003, 11:19 AM

Unhappy Under warranty ...

Never even thought of it ... Yea, that probably would have been the smart thing to try ! However, it pretty obviously is damage caused by a hot liquid, so they would certainly be in their rights to not go for it. But anyway, I'm impulsive and bought the part (actually huge shifter assembly!) this morning ... The question is how do we get it in there ? :-)
Old 06-27-2003, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmm... well, depending on how it looked, you could say that it was heat damage? say, from the sun or from the heat emitting from the tranny/shifter?

if you have a good relationship with your advisor, that makes a world of difference at the dealership
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
The shift knob will come out by twisting the ring at the bottom of the knob and pulling the knob straight up. The wooden shift panel is held on by clips. Open the cigarette ashtray and lift up on the edge of the shift panel. It should pop up easily.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:01 AM

Talking Got it !

Thanks KevinV ! I did figure it out on Saturday, and got the console apart. However, I did not replace the shifter - it just looked like too much work. I did take the top plate apart, removed the piece with "PRND-+", and restored it !

I sanded it down, to take off the existing black paint, and messed up surface. When it was down to white plastic, I used small press-on letters to put back the P-R-N-D etc. I then sprayed it black, then peeled off the letters - voila ! It looks pretty good !

Thanks to all for help and thoughts ! My next adventure is the installation of a Comand system, purchased from Steve ...
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 AM

Talking Got it !

Thanks KevinV ! I did figure it out on Saturday, and got the console apart. However, I did not replace the shifter - it just looked like too much work. I did take the top plate apart, removed the piece with "PRND-+", and restored it !

I sanded it down, to take off the existing black paint, and messed up surface. When it was down to white plastic, I used small press-on letters to put back the P-R-N-D etc. I then sprayed it black, then peeled off the letters - voila ! It looks pretty good !

Thanks to all for help and thoughts ! My next adventure is the installation of a Comand system, purchased from Steve ...