CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cabriolet Roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 230 Kompressor CONVERTIBLE
Smile Cabriolet Roof problem

CLK 230 Cabriolet
I have a CLK 230 Kompressor Cabriolet 2000 year .
The roof's red light flashes and probably one of the switches/sensors showing the roof was still open.(Although the roof is closed)
When the roof is closed I can not open the trunk, only with the key is opened.
The flashing red light and beeps 20 seconds when I start to drive.
With the top down no problem, regular open trunk.
Probably one of the switches shows that the roof is still open even though the roof is closed.
If there is any one of you advice and can help me?

Because the problem I can not open the trunk electrically, only with a manual key or When the roof is open then open the trunk without problems.

thank you very much.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 AM

clk 230 w208
You could try a reset by disconnecting the battery, (need radio code) this some times sorts it other wise I'd just take it into a dealer.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 AM

Question Other solutions?

Originally Posted by john.m.gemmell
You could try a reset by disconnecting the battery, (need radio code) this some times sorts it other wise I'd just take it into a dealer.
Thanks for the answer

I tried it and it does not help.
Other solutions?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
I have a similar problem where the light flashes like the roof is down. Funny thing for me is, when I hit a bump or go over a uneven surface, it'll beep then all the windows will roll down like I have initiated the top. It's really annoying.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:39 PM

I have no problem with windows, roof works fine.
My problem is that the roof is closed I can not open the trunk - only manually with the key.
And this problem I'm looking for a solution and have not yet found a solution for this, because it's very annoying to open the trunk manually with the key.
Is there something idea or advice on how I fix the problem?
Thanks and nice day
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM

I think the problem is in the cylinder retalning bow(s.n. 2088000172) and in the switch top drive (s.n 2088202310) Adjacent to cylinder.
Does anyone can help me and guide me how to Reach to the switch and to the cylinder?
Pictures will help
Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM

ML 2.7 2004
If your roof operation works fine, then it sounds like the electronic boot/trunk lock could be faulty, I have read on here that they have failed before.
I hope this helps
Jim
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 AM

Question

Originally Posted by luckyjimbo1
If your roof operation works fine, then it sounds like the electronic boot/trunk lock could be faulty, I have read on here that they have failed before.
I hope this helps
Jim

I replaced it a few months ago.
Even then there was the problem, and yet it exists.
It's probably not the problem.
When the roof is open ,all works fine and i can open the trunk, only when the roof is closed i can not open the trunk electric (only possible with an iron key open

Does something have any ideas how to fix the problem??
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
A hook up to the star machine will tell you which micro switch is faulty. My guess would be the rear bow lock switch.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:04 AM

Smile Does anybody have an idea how I fix the problem

Originally Posted by bobbyjo9
A hook up to the star machine will tell you which micro switch is faulty. My guess would be the rear bow lock switch.

Thank you for your answer.
But last week I changed the lock Rear bow & Cylinder assembly and This is not the problem (the problem existed before )
A month ago I bought this part from Top Hydraulics, I must say I am very pleased with the service of Top Hydraulics and I would highly recommend.
I had this cylinder is leaking and they sent the part I changed it and everything works fine.
Except the problem with a trunk I can not open an electric / manual, only with an iron key manually.

What is it " star machine " ??

Does anybody have an idea how I fix the problem?
Thanks a lot
oz
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Star machine (sds) is what the dealer and larger indi shops use to communicate with the cars computers.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 AM

Smile Is there something that has another idea how to help me and solve the problem of the

Star machine (sds) is what the dealer and larger indi shops use to communicate with the cars computers.

Thanks for the answer.
I already went to the main company of Mercedes are connected to the computer the car and worked for two hours and thay didnt found the problem I paid them $ 150 I went, they said I would leave the vehicle and it will take several days when every hour of work, not including parts cost $ 150. No parts only for the job they want about $ 1200 is robbery!

What do you think about this product?

http://www.autotoolsmall.com/mercede...ide-p-426.html

Is there something that has another idea how to help me and solve the problem of the trunk?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 AM

ML 2.7 2004
Sounds a bit obvious but the trunk button on the remote key is working ok ? also is your electric roof button still flashing ?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM

clk320 wife, s5amg sold :-{(
Thumbs down maybe better now otherwise forget autotoolsmall

What do you think about this product?

http://www.autotoolsmall.com/mercede...ide-p-426.html

I bought the above product a few years ago. Never got more than some standard stats.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by luckyjimbo1
Sounds a bit obvious but the trunk button on the remote key is working ok ? also is your electric roof button still flashing ?
1. the trunk button on the remote key is not working (the led is on When you click on the remote control button)

2. Yes the electric roof button still flashing And you hear a beep every second, there must be a micro switch which means that the roof did not complete the operation and the roof is still open - that's my problem I want to help solve the problem.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

CLK430
you may want to change the trunk lock, a couple of others had this issue and the lock itself was at fault.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hitman0187
you may want to change the trunk lock, a couple of others had this issue and the lock itself was at fault.

I changed the lock mechanism and a few months ago.
Even before I changed the lock I had the same problem. - this is not the problem

Does something have another idea how to fix the problem??

Last edited by ozyael; 05-01-2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: spel
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Originally Posted by ozyael

Thanks for the answer.
I already went to the main company of Mercedes are connected to the computer the car and worked for two hours and thay didnt found the problem I paid them $ 150 I went, they said I would leave the vehicle and it will take several days when every hour of work, not including parts cost $ 150. No parts only for the job they want about $ 1200 is robbery!

]
A dealer charged you an hour diag fee and said no faults found? My local dealer is the priciest in the bay area and THEY wouldnt even do that! You should have gotten a print out showing what was tested and how it tested. Id go back and ask for the report you "paid" for. Confirming all micro switches are operating correctly!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 AM

Smile

A dealer charged you an hour diag fee and said no faults found? My local dealer is the priciest in the bay area and THEY wouldnt even do that! You should have gotten a print out showing what was tested and how it tested. Id go back and ask for the report you "paid" for. Confirming all micro switches are operating correctly!

I went to the main garage Mercedes Home in Jerusalem.
I asked to be told what is the problem is and what it would cost me to fix the problem and of course to fix the problem.
They said that only about bidding and checking with a computer will cost me about $ 150 I agreed/
They worked and examined the vehicle for two hours and a half and they did not find the problem and told me I needed to keep the car a day or two and they do not know How much will it cost me and Charge me every hour of work.
I am very angry and spoke with the manager and asked him why I pay you $ 150 that was the reason I went to the garage. And you didnt give me an answer so he said that's how they worked two hours on the composition and charge me only for an hour and nothing could be done.
I realized that all they want is to squeeze and make me money.
If you understand Hebrew, I would send you the invoice is paid

So as you see i have no one to talk 'and in israel we didnt have professional people who understand the mechanisms of cabriolet cars and know how to fix them.
I have good content knowledge I had some problems with the roof and I fixed them all alone and still one of my only problem with unopened trunk.

Does something have another idea how to fix my car's problem?? - Please
Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM

02 clk 55, 13 GL 450
Well they got cha there!! without a readout your really in the dark. My best guess still involves the rear bow lock. Since this is the only lock not checked with top down but IS checked on top up, I would start there. Have you checked the wires that run down the passenger side hinge arm for the cover? They get lots of movement and have been known to break internally.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 AM

Thank you for the answer.
I replaced the rear bow lock Completely month ago .
I also checked the wires and no problem with them.
I think the problem is the micro switch that shows that the roof is still open, I have a warning sound when i start drive and the red lamp blinks.
we just have to find the damn switch!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM

W209, W208 Cabrio
Hello oyael , did you find the switch ? I have the same problem...
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 AM

Smile The problem at the end was torn wires.

Originally Posted by Chuskero
Hello oyael , did you find the switch ? I have the same problem...
The problem at the end was torn wires.
Although I checked the area and eventually found the disconnection of wires
Instead of wires were ripped right sleeve of the trunk lid.
You can contact me by email and I'll explain better.
It took me a year to find the problem.
Now everything works great
Send me an email if you need help and I will help you gladly

oz
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor convertible
Roof won't close

Hi there I was hoping somebody can help. I have a CLK230 kompressor convertible 1998 the roof went down no problem.. But now won't close. The roll bars won't even raise either. I have tried removing the battery for half hour to reset the car still no joy..can someone please advise what to do???
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The operation of the power roof is very complex and depends on a micro-controller, hydraulic pump/electric motor/relay, 7 hydraulic cylinders, a dozen plus limit/position switches, several interlocks, pair of tension cables, wiring harnesses as well as addition vehicle subsystems (e.g. roll-bars, power windows etc.) all being in proper working order.

The design mean time before failure (MBTF) is 10 years and with the W208 average age being 15 years old, it's not a question of 'if' it will fail, but 'when' it will.

As a result, you will find numerous threads pertaining to trouble shooting and repair of the power roof system. A common issue has been with leaking hydraulic cylinders, particularly those operating the unlock/lock soft top cover and rear bow. Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level, which would a tell tail sign of a leaking cylinder(s)?

BTW, at this time, you can raise your roof manually. The detailed procedure on how to do this is explained in the practical hints section of your owners manual.

If your hydraulics are in good condition, next look for an problem in the power roof electricals. During the power roof operation, there are 11 stages at which roof's controller must see the correct electrical inputs before it will provide the correct output to control the next stage of operation. See post #16 at:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-failures.html

Within this tread, you'll find a treasure chest of information. However, it will require patience and very good trouble shooting skills. Further examination of the required electrical conditions during each stage of roof operation, will help isolate the fault.

Alternatively, the MB STAR diagnostic system (SDS), used at dealerships and many independent repair shops, can usually find the faulty condition.

Lastly, I have yet to find any evidence where disconnecting the battery has corrected a problem with the operation of the power roof. However, if power failed during roof operation, the roof may need to be resynchronized. The procedure to do this is detailed in the owners manual. That said, your current stage of failure (e.g. power roof / rollbar do not operate), may be due to the roof's rear bow or soft top cover not locking properly. The lock/unlock mechanisms are controlled by hydraulic cylinders. When this occurs, MB has provided a simple method to subsequently exercise just this subsystem. I'm pretty sure that there is a attachment in the above thread that explains how to do this (e.g. it's very simple only using the main power roof switch in a specific way).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Roof problem